The Boxing Thread

Len Cnut

Just now, lukepowell1988 said:

Don't see how Fury is ready to fight Wilder could be an embarrassment 

Wilder ain’t all that.  And neither is Fury.  Quite frankly there is no one in the HW division that you need to be that ‘ready’ for as such.  Arguably the best HW in the division AJ struggled against the likes of Takam and Parker, who lost to Dillian Whyte and Dereck Chisora recently, none of these lot are exactly Joe Louis.

25 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Was surprised how much AJ struggled with Takam And Parker ... Reckon Fury could give him a hard time 

He hasn't really shown a lot of dimension, even from the beginning.  He takes fighters out basically with one twos.  He's not particularly fast with them, he doesn't have a lot of latteral movement and he's not especially accurate either, as evidenced by the fact that when he fought relatively smaller guys with a sort of crouched stance that give him less of a target he struggles.  Also, in the mid rounds he gasses.  All that  muscle is impractical for boxers, Frank Bruno was an example of the very same and was actually similar to AJ in lots of ways though I might credit Bruno with a tad more in the skill department.  In the kingdom of the blind the man with one eye is king and AJ, at the moment, is the man with one eye, he doesn't do a lot well but what he does is enough to  take him to the top, the same with Wilder and the same with Fury. 

I'm in a minority here but I give Wilder a good chance to do both of em.  My heart wants Fury, failing Fury I want Big Josh cuz local boy and that...but somewhere inside, the realist in me, the boxing analyst in me says Wilder.  Wilder does everything wrong but he does it right, if that makes sense.  He does the wrong thing but his natural gifts make it so it works for him.  He's lanky as fuck, rangey, has his legs wide open so he controls the distance, his jab is underrated, it ain't all that but its better than what most people say.  Also, and most pointedly, though he swings wildly and misses a great deal when he connects he has true concussive power.  Like put you to bed power, leave you spaccing out on the canvas power.  AJ knocks people over, for a 10...but he don't sign them right off like the way Wilder does, he has some next freakish knockout power.  Also, the thing about swinging wildly is, it makes it so you're coming in from weird angles and boxers that are slightly lacking in technical ability don't always understand how to protect against that shit. 

So yeah, I got this feeling about Wilder.  Comparable to Ali in regards to that principle.  I mean he's nowhere even close to the fighter Ali was, not even in the same galaxy, but I just mean the concept of, technically speaking, doing things wrong but making them work for you.  Ali did stuff that is SUCH a no no in the boxing textbooks but his natural gifts made that shit work. 

Edited by Len Cnut

8 hours ago, Silverburst80 said:

5.00 min, fuck me that punch would floor most boxers and GGG just walked towards him like nothing happened. Canelo took some big hits in that fight too.

I wouldn't say he quite walked through it, he certainly felt it but fuck me he didn't half swallow it well.  Thats the same right hand that sent Amir Khan into orbit.

15 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I wouldn't say he quite walked through it, he certainly felt it but fuck me he didn't half swallow it well.  Thats the same right hand that sent Amir Khan into orbit.

I mean could you land much of a better shot?, it's not like he caught G in the side of the head/ear it was a clean hit. Interesting both fighters are predicting knock outs, fuck it's gonna be brutal haven't really got into boxing this much for awhile....hopefully it's not spoiled by outside influences.

4 hours ago, Silverburst80 said:

I mean could you land much of a better shot?, it's not like he caught G in the side of the head/ear it was a clean hit. Interesting both fighters are predicting knock outs, fuck it's gonna be brutal haven't really got into boxing this much for awhile....hopefully it's not spoiled by outside influences.

I dunno if their words should be taken about how brutal it’ll be.  I still got my same call though, I think Canelo takes it.

On 9/12/2018 at 4:26 AM, Len Cnut said:

Khan Is a much smaller guy and moved up two weight classes to fight Canelo. I am not an Amir Kahn fan but he deserves some mad respect for taking the fight. He was doing pretty well up until he got caught and put to sleep. GGG has no chance on the scorecards this Saturday night, I am also picking Canelo by decision, although I am pulling for GGG. 

On 9/12/2018 at 7:33 PM, Silverburst80 said:

Boxing has always been corrupt and about outside influences. Adalaide Byrd, who was an official judge for the first fight made it quite clear with a score of 118-110 for Canelo In the first fight. No one In their right mind who has followed boxing and who watched the fight could have possibly come up with that ridiculous scorecard. GGG needs a knockout or at least two knock downs or he loses the fight on the scorecards .

• Like 1

I had a very strong dislike for Deontay Wilder because of the way he acts in the ring, and then I watched this interview with him and he actually seems like a pretty reasonable, nice guy.  idk if anyone here has ever head him give a lengthy interview before, but this IS NOT what I expected from him.

Edited by DeadSlash
who the fuck knows how to spell Deontay, anyway?

I had a very strong dislike for Deontay Wilder because of the way he acts in the ring, and then I watched this interview with him and he actually seems like a pretty reasonable, nice guy.  idk if anyone here has ever head him give a lengthy interview before, but this IS NOT what I expected from him.

He's also the man who said to his next opponent that he wanted him to bring his son to the fight so he could see the man who is going to put his father in a wheelchair  :lol:  He's also the man who said that he wants a death on his record.

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ironmt said:

Khan Is a much smaller guy and moved up two weight classes to fight Canelo. I am not an Amir Kahn fan but he deserves some mad respect for taking the fight. He was doing pretty well up until he got caught and put to sleep. GGG has no chance on the scorecards this Saturday night, I am also picking Canelo by decision, although I am pulling for GGG. 

Yeah, I weren't suggesting that it should have put G to sleep similarly but it was a full blooded flush right hand, a power shot and G handled it. 

• Like 1