The Boxing Thread

Len Cnut

50 minutes ago, Gavin82 said:

https://www.bt.com/sport/watch

See DD v Joyce at the bottom in red box says BUY MONTH PASS

Cheers fella

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

It will be terrible. Put on your old clips of Tyson instead and save yourself the torture. 

Dubois vs Joyce will be good though, you should have a butchers at this lad Dubois, he’s quite good:

4 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

What's your prediction for tonight's fight, @Len Cnut?

Which one?  Tyson?  What to predict, 8 2 mins rounds, no KO’s allowed.  Its an exhibition, they move around a bit, sweat a little, thats it.  Nobodys looking to embarass anyone here.

Edited by Len Cnut

13 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Which one?  Tyson?  What to predict, 8 2 mins rounds, no KO’s allowed.  Its an exhibition, they move around a bit, sweat a little, thats it.  Nobodys looking to embarass anyone here.

:lol:

I mean, they "say" they don't want K.O.'s but how can they prevent one?  If Jones walks into a clean Tyson uppercut, he's going to get K.O.'d.  :lol:

1 minute ago, Ace Nova said:

:lol:

I mean, they "say" they don't want K.O.'s but how can they prevent one?  If Jones walks into a clean Tyson uppercut, he's going to get K.O.'d.  :lol:

Well generally speaking I guess its an indicator to the fighters that they need to go easy, like Corey Sanders when be had an exhibition back in the day with Tyson?  Then again I guess when you charge PPV people should get a show but then if anyone cared about the people getting a show this maybe wouldn’t be happening.  They ain’t gonna be throwing full-bloodied shots I don’t think but what do I know, I didn’t set the thing up, maybe they are.  

11 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Mate, at the risk of redundant repetition, the whole things a fuckin' joke, the undercards a joke, the hype is a joke and the biggest joke is that you have to pay 20 quid for it.  All these people like 'OMG MIKE LOOKS LIKE HIS PRIME AGAIN' off the back of a few well edited youtube clips.  Really?  His prime?  Is this what Mike looked like in his prime?

tyson-jones-weigh-2.jpg

Maybe I was watching a different fuckin' prime to everyone else.  And all these people getting all hyped up about this shit, I don't care about your fuckin' stem cells and your fuckin' cryo-chambers and ice baths and new age strength and conditioning and diet bullshit, no man can beat the clock, no fuckin' man and thats gonna be apparent really quick after the third round when these boys look like they're walking in treacle.

Now don't get me wrong, I ain't against a man wanting to fight if he wants to fight, what annoys me is the machine behind it, what annoys me is treating a fuckin' exhibition fight like some kinda championship contest, its just the most phoney bullshit and its bad for boxing because at the end of it its what, a sparring session and some youtube f@ggots on a fuckin' undercard, its snake oil, you're gonna get to fuckin' 4:30am and, once we've stopped wanking off over clips of Tyson 86 and Roy 98 we're gonna be left thinking 'what the fuck did I just watch?'.

And the REALLY sad part is, after all this big speech, I'm probably still gonna end up paying for it :lol:  8 two minute rounds for a phoney belt thats ain't worth the leather and steel it cost to make that shit.  I would love nothing more than for Mike to turn up, look great tonight, then go on and fuckin' take on AJ and Fury and do em both but it ain't gonna fuckin' happen, there are no fairytales in life.  I remember at the end of Mikes last fight he said he didnt want to carry on because he didn't want to embarass the sport of boxing and disrespect it by like...abusing it.  Not saying thats necessarily what he/they are doing now but...

oh you'll pay for it and you know it:lol:. The hype has been ridiculous but sadly there ain't nobody in boxing in  2020 that can create this kinda hype, among the general public anyway, that's unfortunately how it is.....and surely it won't be anymore  embarrasing than seeing Wilder come out in that fucking armour, then blame said armour( and a shopping list of other things) for losing a title fight:lol:. I ain't gonna pay for it though, gonna watch at a friends house and enjoy it for what it is and not expecting some fight for the ages or anything like that.

Edited by Silverburst80

38 minutes ago, Silverburst80 said:

oh you'll pay for it and you know it:lol:. The hype has been ridiculous but sadly there ain't nobody in boxing in  2020 that can create this kinda hype, among the general public anyway, that's unfortunately how it is.....and surely it won't be anymore  embarrasing than seeing Wilder come out in that fucking armour, then blame said armour( and a shopping list of other things) for losing a title fight:lol:. I ain't gonna pay for it though, gonna watch at a friends house and enjoy it for what it is and not expecting some fight for the ages or anything like that.

Decided not to buy it actually, fuck it.  And Wilder Fury 2 was fuckin’ fantastic man!

So basically...it was awful? :lol:  Y’know Tyson tried to do this before, just after he retired, this little tour of exhibitions, of which the Sanders match that I previously mentioned was once, it fell apart quickly due to a lack of interest...and that was like 15 odd years ago.  Cut to present day and people and laying out PPV money for that shit.  And they say species evolve over time. 

Edited by Len Cnut

5 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

So basically...it was awful? :lol:  Y’know Tyson tried to do this before, just after he retired, this little tour of exhibitions, of which the Sanders match that I previously mentioned was once, it fell apart quickly due to a lack of interest...and that was like 15 odd years ago.  Cut to present day and people and laying out PPV money for that shit.  And they say species evolve over time. 

Oh come on Len, have you actually watched it? It was pretty good. Mike looked better last night (at 54) than anytime he's looked since the first Holyfield fight imo. He just wasn't into boxing after the bite fight, he didn't train well, etc. His heart just wasn't into it anymore. It's a shame, because if he had THIS mentality back in 95, he beats Holyfield and Lewis imo. Having said that, you can't change the past, so it is what it is. It's just good to see him out there enjoying boxing again (possibly the first time since he beat Spinks honestly). 

You might say I'm crazy, but I'd go so far as to say this "fight" was one of the best heavyweight bouts of the last 10 years. It's not better than Fury vs Wilder 1 or 2, Fury vs Klitschko, Joshua vs Ruiz 1 and Joshua vs Klitschko. Beyond those fights, it's better than any other heavyweight bout you can name, and that includes Joshua vs Ruiz 2 imo. 

My biggest takeaway from last night is Mike is still Mike. He is a dangerous fighter for anyone STILL. AM I saying I think he would beat Fury at 54 years old? No. Nor do I think he would beat Joshua (unless he lands a big shot). But I DO think he could hang with them. Do I want to see him fight them? No. I've already seen Mike lose when past his prime, so I'm not interested to in watching more of that. 

What about Wilder? That's the ONLY current fighter I would get excited about. Fury and Joshua are too big for Mike at 54. They will hold him, and put their weight on him to wear him out, then win in the later rounds. Wilder on the other hand isn't "bigger" than Mike. Taller yes, but not heavier. Plus when you add the fact that Wilder isn't a great boxer, bad footwork, etc. I DO think Mike could take him, right now. Plus Wilder is stupid enough to want to fight him. 

Last night, Mike went to the body all night long (probably because it was a lower knockout possiblity than going for the head). But by doing that, he did two things. Firstly, he became WAY too much of a head hunter post prison (arguably after Rooney left). It was his secret weapon in his early career, he chopped down big guys by going to the body. Somebody like Wilder, Mike would hurt his body like he's never known. Secondly, Mike was the fresher man throughout the fight. Which isn't something ANYONE expected. Mike went 8, 2 minute rounds EASILY. How would he do in 3 minute rounds, of a 12 round fight, thats yet to be seen. But if I'm honest, I don't think Wilder would last into the late rounds against him.

I'm just calling things like I see them, yes I am a bias Tyson fan. But I've always been honest about his career. Having said that, I HONESTLY believe Mike could KO Wilder right now, today. Wilder's style is kinda like Lennox Lewis style, but without the brains, footwork, or technical ability. Lennox was prepared on how to deal with Mike's ferocity. I don't believe Wilder has the skills to handle Mike's pressure. Obviously, Wilder could land his big right hand, but that's ALL he has. Mike would attack his ribs, slow him down, tire hims out, then when Wilder lowers his hands, land the big shot. I feel VERY strongly that Mike would take him out. Honestly, I would LOVE to see Wilder pick up a belt, fight Mike, and have Mike be the youngest nd oldest heavyweight champ. That would be a perfect ending to his career.

Having said all of that, I don't see Mike doing anything other than these exhibitions. Which are fun, and a good show imo.

BTW, last night was NOTHING like those exhibitions he did in the 2000s. I agree those where awful. Those were just sparring sessions. Last night was MUCH better than those.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

Oh come on Len, have you actually watched it? It was pretty good. Mike looked better last night (at 54) than anytime he's looked since the first Holyfield fight imo. He just wasn't into boxing after the bite fight, he didn't train well, etc. His heart just wasn't into it anymore. It's a shame, because if he had THIS mentality back in 95, he beats Holyfield and Lewis imo. Having said that, you can't change the past, so it is what it is. It's just good to see him out there enjoying boxing again (possibly the first time since he beat Spinks honestly). 

You might say I'm crazy, but I'd go so far as to say this "fight" was one of the best heavyweight bouts of the last 10 years. It's not better than Fury vs Wilder 1 or 2, Fury vs Klitschko, Joshua vs Ruiz 1 and Joshua vs Klitschko. Beyond those fights, it's better than any other heavyweight bout you can name, and that includes Joshua vs Ruiz 2 imo. 

My biggest takeaway from last night is Mike is still Mike. He is a dangerous fighter for anyone STILL. AM I saying I think he would beat Fury at 54 years old? No. Nor do I think he would beat Joshua (unless he lands a big shot). But I DO think he could hang with them. Do I want to see him fight them? No. I've already seen Mike lose when past his prime, so I'm not interested to in watching more of that. 

What about Wilder? That's the ONLY current fighter I would get excited about. Fury and Joshua are too big for Mike at 54. They will hold him, and put their weight on him to wear him out, then win in the later rounds. Wilder on the other hand isn't "bigger" than Mike. Taller yes, but not heavier. Plus when you add the fact that Wilder isn't a great boxer, bad footwork, etc. I DO think Mike could take him, right now. Plus Wilder is stupid enough to want to fight him. 

Last night, Mike went to the body all night long (probably because it was a lower knockout possiblity than going for the head). But by doing that, he did two things. Firstly, he became WAY too much of a head hunter post prison (arguably after Rooney left). It was his secret weapon in his early career, he chopped down big guys by going to the body. Somebody like Wilder, Mike would hurt his body like he's never known. Secondly, Mike was the fresher man throughout the fight. Which isn't something ANYONE expected. Mike went 8, 2 minute rounds EASILY. How would he do in 3 minute rounds, of a 12 round fight, thats yet to be seen. But if I'm honest, I don't think Wilder would last into the late rounds against him.

I'm just calling things like I see them, yes I am a bias Tyson fan. But I've always been honest about his career. Having said that, I HONESTLY believe Mike could KO Wilder right now, today. Wilder's style is kinda like Lennox Lewis style, but without the brains, footwork, or technical ability. Lennox was prepared on how to deal with Mike's ferocity. I don't believe Wilder has the skills to handle Mike's pressure. Obviously, Wilder could land his big right hand, but that's ALL he has. Mike would attack his ribs, slow him down, tire hims out, then when Wilder lowers his hands, land the big shot. I feel VERY strongly that Mike would take him out. Honestly, I would LOVE to see Wilder pick up a belt, fight Mike, and have Mike be the youngest nd oldest heavyweight champ. That would be a perfect ending to his career.

Having said all of that, I don't see Mike doing anything other than these exhibitions. Which are fun, and a good show imo.

BTW, last night was NOTHING like those exhibitions he did in the 2000s. I agree those where awful. Those were just sparring sessions. Last night was MUCH better than those.

Yes I have watched it since and it was a joke in terms of a competitive fight, they are blatantly not trying and they’re not supposed to be either. 

Best heavyweight fight in ten years?  Come on, I can tell you a fight the same night that was a heavyweight bout and 100 times better than an old Mike and Roy.

i wouldn't say it was awful, i wouldn't mind seeing Mike fight again in something competitive. As for Roy again he's gone into a (exhibition) fight heavier than what suits him, hands were quick in patches but moved sluggishly....you could tell he didn't want to over commit to his punches as he wouldn't be able to move out of way of anything Mike countered with.

Edited by Silverburst80

23 minutes ago, Silverburst80 said:

i wouldn't say it was awful, i wouldn't mind seeing Mike fight again in something competitive. As for Roy again he's gone into a (exhibition) fight heavier than what suits him, hands were quick in patches but moved sluggishly....you could tell he didn't want to over commit to his punches as he wouldn't be able to move out of way of anything Mike countered with.

Mate, they were both telegraphing shots and carrying each other, its all a big con,  isn’t it all a bit convenient, two legends fight an 8 rounder with style that are basically a cinch for one or the other to win...it turns out a draw, both parties save face and make a few quid, thats all that was.