The Boxing Thread

Len Cnut

Murray will be a solid test, I think he had a major case for draw at worst against Maravilla (who's knee was fucked in that fight as well as the Cotto fight, in fact Murray reinjured it I believe), he's been in with some more than credible guys, some say he was robbed against Felix Sturm too (another away fight). The safe money is on GGG by stoppage but there's no harm in him getting 12 in. Thurman got fucking booed for failing to stop a guy, that was farcical but that's what happens with the hype machines.

Absolutely sublime read on the development and formation of Iron Mike, so much fascinating detail here :thumbsup:

http://www.sbnation.com/longform/2015/2/11/7957523/mike-tyson-interview-history-background

Great excerpt

“I was so insecure, so afraid,” he confessed in his memoir as he began to understand D’Amato’s agenda with him. “I was so traumatized from people picking on me when I was younger. I just hated the humiliation of being bullied. That feeling sticks with you for the rest of your life … That’s why I always projected to the world that I was a mean, ferocious motherfucker.”

“Break your opponent’s will,” D’Amato schooled the young the Tyson. “Constant attack, no let up. Destroy his spirit. Make all his causes a lie.”

So Tyson, in many ways, proceeded to make a lie his life’s most passionate cause.

“You have to face your demons, Mike,” D’Amato later counseled his developing prodigy, “or they will follow you to eternity. Remember to always be careful how you fight your fights because the way you fight your fights will be the way that you live your life.”

In 1985, on D’Amato’s deathbed, Tyson, not yet a champion, choked back tears confiding, “I don’t want to do this shit without you. I’m not going to do it.”

“Well,” D’Amato replied, “if you don’t fight, you’ll realize that people can come back from the grave, because I’m going to haunt you for the rest of your life.”

Murray will be a solid test, I think he had a major case for draw at worst against Maravilla (who's knee was fucked in that fight as well as the Cotto fight, in fact Murray reinjured it I believe), he's been in with some more than credible guys, some say he was robbed against Felix Sturm too (another away fight). The safe money is on GGG by stoppage but there's no harm in him getting 12 in. Thurman got fucking booed for failing to stop a guy, that was farcical but that's what happens with the hype machines.

He done Maravilla, i was doing a running commentary in this thread fuckin' screwin' that night. They proper have him the Ivan Drago bit and all that but Murray done him.

GGG will lead him to the water though.

Fuckin' bunch of wankers, ought to be ashamed of themselves, all of a sudden it requires fuckin' like...grand jurys just to get these motherfuckers to put some gloves on and fight.

I say Floyd, i say 12 rounds, i say dominant performance. Similar to the Maidana fight but there will be, like Nazim Richardson said about the Moseley fight, a window of oppertunity that they're gonna have to capitalise on cuz Floyd don't make mistakes for a living. In 12 rounds a moment will come, they always come...can Manny do it though? I don't think so.

I would never question a fighter with Floyds skills as a boxer. The guy is great but I'm not putting him on any alltime list. Of this generation, yea, he's been the best. Put him in the ring with the legends of his class and I'm gonna pick against him most if not all the time. There's something that Manny has that Floyd isn't sure of. Why the hell can't they figure this out. He had the Maidana fight done on no time. Same with Canelo, what the fuck man. Could possibly be the last great pay per view in a long time. Get it done. Fuckers.

And Arum is a dick to, for running his mouth. Maybe he should shut the fack up.

I read about three weeks worth of possibilities on this fight in the last couple years, the HBO/Showtime and Bob fucking Arum aspects would drag out a good few weeks of negotiation then we've got the PPV cut arguments, Floyd and Manny respectively are used to taking home the vast majority of the takings, it's just a damn quagmire let alone the actual fight demands from ring size to gloves and stipulations, I read today Manny demanded $5 million if Mayweather failed any drug tests lol that's just stupid, this guy is obsessed with his health apart from that painkiller he uses for his hands xylocaine or something, I don't know if Pacman was ever on anything but it's rich coming from a guy who claimed needles 'weakened' him yet has several tattoos.

I would've loved to see Maravilla vs Golovkin but kinda glad it didn't happen since Sergio is screwed since fat Chavez broke his knee. GGG would've morosely decapitated the guy, though I might have preferred that to Cotto being in against a guy who would've demolished him if he were at the ability he once was, this is why I am vehemently against Mayweather rematching Cotto, it's not a legit title in essence.

Edited by RandallFlagg

Haymon bringing boxing back to CBS, too. Up to eight cards will air on CBS this year. The first card on April 4 features Adonis Stevenson-Sakio Bika and Artur Beterbiev-Gabriel Campillo. The other announced matchup is May 9 with Ricky Burns-Omar Figueroa.

Link: http://www.cbssports.com/general/eye-on-sports/25071621/cbs-sports-gets-back-in-the-tv-boxing-ring-in-2015

There's also rumors that Haymon is working on a deal with ESPN. They're apparently in talks to replace Friday Night Fights with monthly Saturday night Haymon cards.

Haha, rumor was. Floyd stayed in NY after the NBA Allstar game, to finish details. What I just heard was its now in the hands of the execs at Showtime, to sign off. Sounds like its a go and they want to make a proper announcement.

Floyd is also rumored to be getting 60%...sounds fair.

I heard exact same thing today. What I heard differently this morning was that Floyd wants to make the announcement and wants to do it differently or different them past fights.

The Super Bowl has past NBA All star game has past. I don't know of any other major events that would be a good platform to announce this fight.

Maybe a commercial, Twitter?? Idk, but the deadline is fast approaching. It was also said that Floyd is looking to do a bit more with the HBO 24/7. Something different....

Well, Dan Rafael has moved it to threat level red (he had had his "scale" on orange for the last week or so):

Here's hoping for an announcement by the weekend. Would think it has to be really soon with the scheduled date less than three months away now. Don't know how they'll announce this one, if they want to make it special--like T.wa.T said, the Super Bowl and NBA All-Star weekend have passed now. Those would have been the big platforms if they wanted something special.

Kevin Iole answering a fan's tweet:

I'm guessing Floyd's going to announce it on that Shots app. Have never used it before, so don't exactly know what it is, but he's always plugging it in his tweets and used it to send out the hotel picture with him and Pacquiao. I'm going to say that we officially hear from Floyd tonight or tomorrow with the announcement...

Edit: Missed this tweet when it happened:

Edited by ronaldo9

I've read all sorts that the fight is almost done but again Floyd said at that basketball game 'I haven't signed yet, he hasn't signed yet'. Roach also said he's studying Floyd and says he's gonna need six weeks training to prepare and Pacman needs to fight a perfect fight, very respectful for once. Usually it's 'Floyd's shot, Floyd's boring, Floyd's legs are gone, we're gonna knock him out'. Roach is optimistic which is the first time in about 5 years he's said he thinks it could happen.

Roger Mayweather talking out of his arse as usual though; 'My nephew gon' whoop his ass, he's gonna knock him out in 6 rounds, it won't go 6, better start counting, Marquez done knocked him out, what's Pacquiao gonna do to my nephew? He's gon' get knocked out' :lol:

I think it's possible Floyd could knock Pac out but he didn't knock anyone out legit since Hatton and that was more the ring post. I don't think Pacquiao will stop Mayweather either, even in 2009 it would've been a tough ask and he has knocked guys from pillar to post but not scored a stoppage since Cotto in 2009. The Mayweathers don't seem to understand that UD against Marquez does not = Marquez KO's Pacquiao = Mayweather KO's Pacquiao. Marquez is an aggressive counter puncher who uses many combinations and lateral movement, Floyd has not been aggressive since the Mosley fight after he realize he was gonna have to use his superb offensive skills to back the guy off after almost getting knocked out in round 2. He is a safety first fighter, Marquez went thru hell four times.

Against Maidana this almost cost him the first fight, he hit back in the second half and I had it a draw at best for Floyd, he was way too passive even after getting rattled for 5 rounds, he does not take risks nor does he like being smashed up though he is durable as hell and good in the trenches, he used to be a phenomenal aggressive fighter in the lower weights but he has brittle hands, likes his zero and is effectively a small welterweight as it is.

Unless Floyd plans on walking Pacquiao down, against Canelo he walked him down without doing anything overly aggressive cause Canelo thought he could wait and outbox him retardedly, Maidana, Cotto, Hatton and De La Hoya all had success attacking him with a steady pace.

Edited by RandallFlagg