The Boxing Thread

Len Cnut

Yeah, its finally here. I've been stoked for Thurman the whole time up until this weekend. Now I wanna see Broner get , how you say it Len, "sparked"? Yes, I want Broner to get sparked against Molina.

Molina ko'd 7 sparring partners....

• Like 1

That Hearns Duran knockout I watch every so often, Hands of Stone even started getting the fuck up from it! Guy was a monster but what a KO. I remember an interview Hagler said he softened Duran up but I'm not sure it's that simple though I'd never say a bad word against Marvelous except he retired too early after Leonard got the decision. What did he retire at, about 33?? That's nothing these days, for better or worse.

Molina gave as good as he got against The Machine, if Broner didn't learn anything from the Maidana fight and I'm not really sure if he has, he's going to get sent down by this guy even though I don't think he's half the fighter Maidana is, depends how Broner approaches it as he clearly has talent but is extremely flat footed, nowhere near as good on defense as he believes but the guy has a lot of heart and is a solid fighter, despite being a grade A dickhead.

Edited by RandallFlagg

He retired to live dulce vita in Italy. Cannot say I blame him although revenging his Leonard defeat would have improved his record even more.

It is ironic how both Duran and Leonard's careers ended around the same time, 1996-7, with a loss to Hector Camacho (who then went and lost to Oscar de la Hoya soon after).

Suppose it's better retiring early than (too) late in this sport. Didn't SRL come off a ridiculous lay off like 5 years before taking on Camacho without even a tune up? I haven't seen that one yet but know Camacho had a decent if unspectacular career for himself.

I've just read Froch has called Ward out to come over here to fight since the WBA I think has ordered a rematch between them since they're still 1 and 2 in the division. That fight will motivate the Cobra even though he's said many times Ward would still outpoint him probably, which is true but this guy Ward has barely ever fought outside of Oakland, he isn't an exciting fighter but he's definitely elite and always going to beat Froch or anyone for that matter nine times out of ten.

I also heard Mayweather is working with both Ariza (Pacman's ex strength+conditioning coach) and Heredia (Marquez's ex-S+C coach and some say PED expert lol). Floyd is a master of mindgames but who knows if they'll have much input, I always say don't fuck with what's been working before though...

Leonard's career was odd in the fact that he did not give a shit about title defenses. He would come out of retirement, win a belt, relinquish that same belt immediately and then retire; he did this across his whole career, moving up weight divisions. This is true even for the lineal title. For the Hagler fight, Leonard said that if he could have beat Marvin and allowed Marvin to retain his belt, he would have; he felt bad for Hagler, stripping him of his cherished title. That was another title he relinquished immediately. A lot of fighters resented it because he made, the grande entrance, in returning and jumped over many genuine contenders.

For most fighters of course, the number of defenses is seen as one of the key aspects to placing yourself, in the legends' roll call. Also there is the psychological factor that you usually want to at least maintain something you have worked so hard for. Leonard did not care for any of this.

• Like 1

Didn't SRL come off a ridiculous lay off like 5 years before taking on Camacho without even a tune up? I haven't seen that one yet but know Camacho had a decent if unspectacular career for himself.

Hated that fight, Ray shouldn't've been there.

I've just read Froch has called Ward out to come over here to fight since the WBA I think has ordered a rematch between them since they're still 1 and 2 in the division. That fight will motivate the Cobra even though he's said many times Ward would still outpoint him probably, which is true but this guy Ward has barely ever fought outside of Oakland, he isn't an exciting fighter but he's definitely elite and always going to beat Froch or anyone for that matter nine times out of ten.

Ward will do exactly the same thing again.

I also heard Mayweather is working with both Ariza (Pacman's ex strength+conditioning coach) and Heredia (Marquez's ex-S+C coach and some say PED expert lol). Floyd is a master of mindgames but who knows if they'll have much input, I always say don't fuck with what's been working before though...

He's just winding em up really isn't he?

Edited by Len B'stard

That Hearns Duran knockout I watch every so often, Hands of Stone even started getting the fuck up from it! Guy was a monster but what a KO. I remember an interview Hagler said he softened Duran up but I'm not sure it's that simple though I'd never say a bad word against Marvelous except he retired too early after Leonard got the decision. What did he retire at, about 33?? That's nothing these days, for better or worse.

Molina gave as good as he got against The Machine, if Broner didn't learn anything from the Maidana fight and I'm not really sure if he has, he's going to get sent down by this guy even though I don't think he's half the fighter Maidana is, depends how Broner approaches it as he clearly has talent but is extremely flat footed, nowhere near as good on defense as he believes but the guy has a lot of heart and is a solid fighter, despite being a grade A dickhead.

Definantly a miracle Duran got up. That one is up there with Pac getting ko, d. That Duran fight is proof that not all losses effect a fighters legacy. Its more the timing and when the fight happens that irks some people. I've seen Duran on some alltime lists as high as 7. That's incredible.

I feel the same way about the Molina fight. I think the burden is on Broner, he does it to himself with his attitude etc.. That stuff brings out the best in some fighters, Molina is no non sense (like Maidana) so I hope he brings it. Could be a nice coming out party for him.

What happened, I can't see the page?

I think Geurero is more of a gate keeper but still thinks of himself as a top flight boxer. He still is to an extant, but he's not on the Floyd/Manny level. That said, I don't think he's gonna be on Thurmans level either. That dude is badass and might be fighting for a legit strap by years end.

I read something today, that it is the yanks who are paying £60. I got it wrong earlier. Apparently we in Britain get a rather good deal as Sky have a PPV cap on £20. Sky, Box Nation and, believe it or not, ITV who have just started putting on championship boxing again, are in a 6 million dollar bidding war.

PS

And BT also.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/boxing/article-2965857/Floyd-Mayweather-s-160m-mega-fight-against-Manny-Pacquiao-subject-TV-bidding-war.html

Edited by DieselDaisy

I read something today, that it is the yanks who are paying £60. I got it wrong earlier. Apparently we in Britain get a rather good deal as Sky have a PPV cap on £20. Sky, Box Nation and, believe it or not, ITV who have just started putting on championship boxing again, are in a 6 million dollar bidding war.

Thats for the Mayweather fight right? I heard that too. Shame cuz it's gonna be a naff fight.

Read something similiar too. Some tickets might go for up to $18,000!! Very few will be offered to the public. I also read they might show it in theaters across the US. I'm pretty sure they did that for the Tyson/Lewis.

Freddie Roach (Pacman's trainer) saying Mayweather's manager is literally bribing sparring partners to decline work with them preparing for Mayweather... literally outpaying so they don't spar Pacquiao... now that is utterly pathetic... add that to the Ariza (Pac's old coach) and Heredia (Marquez old coach) hiring... total slimeball stuff from 'The Best Ever', unneccessary for me. I'm surprised he's letting Pacquiao wear his Reyes gloves considering what he did to Maidana. I know it's nothing new making demands but it's like he needs the full deck stacked in his favour in his head, he made Maidana wear pillows at the last minute in fight 1 and almost got beat by him. He's an all time great no question and a pleasure to watch in the ring when he's challenged and not coasting but there's reasons the fans will always hold Pacquiao in higher regard, win or lose.

Having said that I've been doing some research on the topic and seen Emanuel Steward, Lennox's trainer sometimes did this exact thing if they tried to get someone who had similar qualities to Lewis. Interesting... bitch move all the same though. Next thing, Haymon will be getting robbers to sneak in Wildcard gym and take the equipment lol.

Definantly a miracle Duran got up. That one is up there with Pac getting ko, d. That Duran fight is proof that not all losses effect a fighters legacy. Its more the timing and when the fight happens that irks some people. I've seen Duran on some alltime lists as high as 7. That's incredible.

I feel the same way about the Molina fight. I think the burden is on Broner, he does it to himself with his attitude etc.. That stuff brings out the best in some fighters, Molina is no non sense (like Maidana) so I hope he brings it. Could be a nice coming out party for him.

The fact he was a natural lightweight and smashing up Iran Barkley who KO'd Hearns is insane, he lost most of his massive fights but the performances are what people appreciate and the weight jumps, he'd be taking on Golovkin and probably insane enough to try Froch lol.

Edited by RandallFlagg
  • Like 1

"My whole thing is, Floyd's not going to have his best cornerman in his corner because there's no question in my mind that Roger is the better trainer," said Roach, who turns 55 on Thursday. "Floyd got 90 percent of his wins with Roger working with him. Roger is way better. I think Floyd Sr. is a terrible cornerman, I really do. That's going to work to our advantage on fight night because in the corner, I'm not going to be nervous and I'll be able to calmly talk to Manny and make whatever adjustments we have to make.

"But Floyd Sr. can't get his message out in that minute [rest] period. He gets so excited and worked up and he starts to stutter so he can't give his fighter any useful [information]."

"Look, Floyd was in the gym when he was five and the guy was born to fight," Roach said. "Everyone who has been around this sport knows that. You have to give him a ton of credit. He has great talent, but he's extremely smart in the ring and he knows what he's doing. He's training himself now. I know that. He's a self-made guy.

"He'll get himself prepared for this fight because he always has done that. But in a fight like this, where it's a tighter fight and he's not such a huge favorite, he could use a little advice or suggestion from his corner. But he's not going to get that from his father, so that's another advantage for us."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/boxing/freddie-roach-blasts-floyd-mayweather-sr---says-floyd-jr--taught-himself-013843523.html

Looks like Money Team ain't the only ones into mindgames. Exacerbating a dodgy relationship with his Dad, getting a bit of an insult in and fuckin' with their camp a bit. He'd rather a Roger in the corner cuz a Roger trained Floyd is less boring that a Floyd Sr trained Floyd. Meaning he'll come out.

Edited by Len B'stard

I'm starting to believe Mayweather has a bit of fear towards Pac. All the bs he is pulling etc...

I know Arum is a liar, but he is on record as saying Floyd don't want a lefty like Pacman. I recently saw a video of Fred Roach talking about how he thinks the Mayweather fight is an easy one for Manny. This is going back a few years, prior to the first Bradley fight. I love listening to the head trainers of each guy. Both sides are outta their minds haha...

Almost less than 24 hours to go. There's also something on Spike tonite, 11pm, maybe a preview show, Ill check it out and post if there's anything good.

"My whole thing is, Floyd's not going to have his best cornerman in his corner because there's no question in my mind that Roger is the better trainer," said Roach, who turns 55 on Thursday. "Floyd got 90 percent of his wins with Roger working with him. Roger is way better. I think Floyd Sr. is a terrible cornerman, I really do. That's going to work to our advantage on fight night because in the corner, I'm not going to be nervous and I'll be able to calmly talk to Manny and make whatever adjustments we have to make.

"But Floyd Sr. can't get his message out in that minute [rest] period. He gets so excited and worked up and he starts to stutter so he can't give his fighter any useful [information]."

"Look, Floyd was in the gym when he was five and the guy was born to fight," Roach said. "Everyone who has been around this sport knows that. You have to give him a ton of credit. He has great talent, but he's extremely smart in the ring and he knows what he's doing. He's training himself now. I know that. He's a self-made guy.

"He'll get himself prepared for this fight because he always has done that. But in a fight like this, where it's a tighter fight and he's not such a huge favorite, he could use a little advice or suggestion from his corner. But he's not going to get that from his father, so that's another advantage for us."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/boxing/freddie-roach-blasts-floyd-mayweather-sr---says-floyd-jr--taught-himself-013843523.html

Looks like Money Team ain't the only ones into mindgames. Exacerbating a dodgy relationship with his Dad, getting a bit of an insult in and fuckin' with their camp a bit. He'd rather a Roger in the corner cuz a Roger trained Floyd is less boring that a Floyd Sr trained Floyd. Meaning he'll come out.

I love Roach. He's by far the best in the business and has been for a long time. He's been with Manny for a long ass time to. That kinda stuff could make or break the fight. I've seen video of Roger where you couldn't understand a lick of what he is saying. Seriously, it s like a dude who speaks only English trying to understand German, except the guy speaking German is trying to speak English, lol...