The Boxing Thread

Len Cnut

This whole bullshit about 'the biggest fight ever', shut the fuck up, bigger than fuckin' Louis Schmeling in Dodgers stadium with 90,000 people watching, every fuckin' black person in America, the whole of Germany, the world stood still for that fight.

Or Ali Frazier I...or even the rumble in the jungle. This fight ain't even really bigger than Tyson Holy', truth be told.

Canelo, De La Hoya, this fight are just PPV records...believe it or not there was a sport called boxing before that PPV shit existed and it was the richest prize in sports back then. Biggest fight of all time my fuckin' arse.

• Like 2

Honestly, just since the 80s I would say all of the following fights were bigger:

Tyson vs spinks (people forget how BIG that fight really was, both were undefeated fighters)

Tyson vs Holyfield 1 and 2

Tyson vs Lewis

Holyfield vs Lewis 1 and 2

Leonard vs Duran 1 and 2

Leonard vs Hagler

Leonard vs Hearns 1 and 2

Hagler vs Hearns

Plus as you said Louis and Ali were in some MASSIVE fights. People are so stupid sometimes...

Honestly, just since the 80s I would say all of the following fights were bigger:

Tyson vs spinks (people forget how BIG that fight really was, both were undefeated fighters)

Tyson vs Holyfield 1 and 2

Tyson vs Lewis

Holyfield vs Lewis 1 and 2

Leonard vs Duran 1 and 2

Leonard vs Hagler

Leonard vs Hearns 1 and 2

Hagler vs Hearns

Plus as you said Louis and Ali were in some MASSIVE fights. People are so stupid sometimes...

You're spot on correct about every last one of those fights. This PPV buys shit is their fuckin' yardstick, give me a fuckin' break. And if you're gonna judge revenue by the fact in 80s people were laying out 10 to 15 for PPV and it's 90 dollars today, thats cooking the fucking figures basically.

Ali lesser fights were bigger occasions, Floyd never fought in a ballpark, Floyd couldn't even make decent numbers prior to De La Hoya...and that was only cuz the people came to see De La Hoya, thats where he gets his PPV crown from, it's fuckin' bullshit. Didn't Ali fight Norton in Yankee Stadium? Which stadium did Floyd ever fill out? Oh yeah, none of em cuz no one gives a shit about him.

Where's Floyds massive sponsorship deals? Oh yeah, they don't exist cuz he's a cunt. It irks me though. Massively. Bigger than Ali Frazier, do me a fuckin' favour with that bullshit, that fight was so big Frank Sinatra got a job as a photographer to get in, fuckin' John & Yoko were there, big time actors like Burt Lancaster got in on commentating, titans of journalism were there, people like Dr Thompson, David Frost, writers like Norman Mailer, George Plimpton, we're talking the biggest fuckin' fight in history here.

Even Rumble in the Jungle, that shit was so famous that there's sitcoms from the 70s, entire episodes based on the night of the Ali Foreman fight, these events were like cultural footnotes.

I mean this is a big fight, don't get me wrong but Louis Schmeling level, Ali level, or even on the level that the 80s boys, your Hearnses and Haglers and Durans and Leonards had? No fuckin' way.

And yeah, like you mentioned Tyson Spinks, in the 80s, he made 30 million dollars in 90 seconds. By the rate of inflation 30 million dollars back then means up to 60 in 2015 money. So is it really that far a gulf?

Edited by Len B'stard
  • Like 1

Honestly the only way THIS fight even cracks the top 10 all time is if super entertaining, which is a big "If" when it comes to Floyd. I hate how society is today, everything happening now is the biggest, best, blah, blah, blah. Shit this world has been spinning around for millions of years, Shit happened before you were born, take a history class...

That's why I love boxing, because of its history. Will this fight be the "fight of the century" as in the best fight since 2000? Perhaps. But let's watch it first, see how it goes, then rank it later.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

Part of me would just love to see someone just get banged out in the first round and just make it the biggest shockiest anti-climatic, weird fight in history, just an oddity, a freak knockout, like Oliver McCall doing Lewis :lol: I have a theory about that, i think the exposed Lewises chin and no one figured it out for the rest of his career that the way he fought like he did was because he had absolutely no chin, everytime he got tagged he got planked and everytime he got tagged it was just a wild punch outta nowhere that someone just slung. Thats why i fuckin' positive Tyson was gonna beat him...cuz he had to hit him, he had to tag him just once, one of those leaping hooks, just something. Shows what i fuckin' know eh?

• Like 1

Part of me would just love to see someone just get banged out in the first round and just make it the biggest shockiest anti-climatic, weird fight in history, just an oddity, a freak knockout, like Oliver McCall doing Lewis :lol: I have a theory about that, i think the exposed Lewises chin and no one figured it out for the rest of his career that the way he fought like he did was because he had absolutely no chin, everytime he got tagged he got planked and everytime he got tagged it was just a wild punch outta nowhere that someone just slung. Thats why i fuckin' positive Tyson was gonna beat him...cuz he had to hit him, he had to tag him just once, one of those leaping hooks, just something. Shows what i fuckin' know eh?

The second Lewis/McCall fight is bizarre to watch, that ending is very strange.

@Len @IronMike, who are you rooting for this Sat? Since you two seem to be the two biggest boxing fans active here.

Rooting? Like who do i want? To be honest I'm totally impartial. I think Floyd is amazing and i love to watch him fight, some people call it boring, i call it some of the best pure boxing I've ever seen. He's got the personality of a cunt, yes but that don't really bother me cuz, y'know, he ain't being a cunt to me, he's just a cunt to himself, it's not like i know him or he's someone in my life, to me he's just a bloke that fights and thats what i like him for, the way he fights.

But then again I wouldn't mind seeing Pacquiao bang him the fuck out either :lol: Or even take him the distance and school him. So as you can see, I'm gonna get a winner whatever happens.

I can tell you who i know will win the fight though, Floyd Mayweather, you're gonna get four rounds of feel out, then Floyd gonna adjust and just poke him all night. But see I'd love for Manny to prove me wrong here too. I got no reason to support either one over the other, I've loved watching both of them fight since the 90s, they've both given me hours and hours of quality entertainment, good luck to em both, I'll be pleased whatever the outcome. I'm just happy its happening, can't seem to muster any kind of emotion for either of em that greatly. Should do for Manny really cuz he's a lovely guy and he's certainly a pleasing fighter to me, more than pleasing, in those Morales, Barrera performances he gave me some of the best boxing for sheer entertainment value that i've EVER seen. And he appears to be a good guy too. Getting a bit heavy handed with the Jesus bit but hey, mans religion is his own business, good luck to him. But still, I just...i think when you get older or something you're not really a fan of people like that or something. Or maybe whats around doesn't inspire that kinda reaction anymore, i dunno.

That was the longest i dunno ever eh? :lol: I'm not bothered, as long as it's a good spectacle.

• Like 1

The second Lewis/McCall fight is bizarre to watch, that ending is very strange.

McCall had a teensy weensy bit of a bitch-fit if i recall :lol: There was always something odd in Lewis fights eh? Remember Shannon Briggs, what the fuck was all that about?! :lol:

@Len @IronMike, who are you rooting for this Sat? Since you two seem to be the two biggest boxing fans active here.

Before Floyd starting talking a bunch of Shit about being "better than Ali and Robinson" I was more impartial, maybe 60/40 in favor of Pac man. I was just excited to see a great fight. But since Floyd ran off at the mouth, I hope Pac knocks him the fuck out. But will it go down that way? Honestly IDK, that's why it's an interesting fight. I agree with Len about Floyd being a defensive wizard, but that's part of my problem with him too, he is boring as he'll, that's why he has to run his mouth. It seems to me, that ever since Lennox Lewis beat Holyfield that a change happened in boxing. It used to be far more offensive, people used to really want to knock people out (my boy Tyson especially), but that's not the case anymore. Winning a decision seems to be the way people want to win now. Wlad, Floyd, and plenty of others seem more than happy to win a a boring ass fight, the excitement is just gone for the most part. That's part of the reason the sport has suffered IMO. See back in the day, they had to go to the judges because the fights were so brutal their had to be a stopping point, or people could get killed. But now, fighters are using the judges to their advantage and just winning on defense and a jab, which I freaking hate to be honest. I find it to be The pussy way out. If I had my way, I would go back to 15 round fights at least, then I bet knockouts would go up. But that's a different topic all together.

Back to the fight at hand, my gut says Manny is going to win, it really does. More money is to be had in a rematch, and let's face it, if Floyd wins he is going to fight to cup cakes to get to 50-0 then retire. If Manny wins a close decision, we will see a rematch in SSeptember, and the judges know this. Not trying to be controversial, but it is boxing here folks, but Larry Holmes got to 48-0 and lost a split decision to Michael Spinks. So I see Manny winning a close fight, like 7 to 5 rounds close. If it's close, its going to Manny, or they call it a draw. Which would be some b.s. draws fucking suck.

Which I'm not making this pick with my heart, I'm making it with my gut. The last two hhuge fights Tyson had I picked him with my heart, not my gut, and he lost to Evander and Lennox. This time I'm letting my gut make the call.

• Like 1

Oh btw, when Larry Holmes got to 48-0 he started running off at the mouth about "Rocky Marciano couldn't hold my jock strap" and Shit like that. Bet your asses the judges heard that and that's why spinks got the close victory.

It's kinda funny that Floyd gets to 47-0 and is talking Shit about Ali and Robinson, and bet your ass the judges heard that as well. Boxing folks don't mind cocky or confidence, but when you start talking down to legends, you lose Mark my words.

• Like 1

Oh btw, when Larry Holmes got to 48-0 he started running off at the mouth about "Rocky Marciano couldn't hold my jock strap" and Shit like that. Bet your asses the judges heard that and that's why spinks got the close victory.

It's kinda funny that Floyd gets to 47-0 and is talking Shit about Ali and Robinson, and bet your ass the judges heard that as well. Boxing folks don't mind cocky or confidence, but when you start talking down to legends, you lose Mark my words.

He's said that shit about Ali and Ray before.

You guys realize Floyd is just a heel saying heel things right?

Honestly? No i dont, not in the sense of irritating to irritate, i think he believes this stuff. I think he has a lack of education and it shows really badly. Hes always a cunt, even when hes not promoting a fight. What fight was he promoting when he put his man on a boost on skype to the point where he went and shot his girlfriend?

• Like 1

That's fair enough, I never said I think he's smart. But do you guys really get worked by him saying things like "I'm better than Ali", etc? He's obviously embraced the fact that he's seen as the villain in his fights and people buy the PPVs in hopes of seeing him lose. If he was humble, less people would be interested.

• Like 1

Weigh ins on right now

That's fair enough, I never said I think he's smart. But do you guys really get worked by him saying things like "I'm better than Ali", etc? He's obviously embraced the fact that he's seen as the villain in his fights and people buy the PPVs in hopes of seeing him lose. If he was humble, less people would be interested.

Worked up to the extent of saying hes wrong and its laughable? Yeah, definitely. Nothing about what any fighter SAYS holds my interest. Its nothing to do with humble, sometimes you just say stupid things and people laugh at you. Like 'i get the same level of racism Ali does', say something like that and people will laugh at you. Edited by Len B'stard