The Boxing Thread

Len Cnut

Why did Mayweather make the legal dudes double check Manny's cup?

Excuse me, he did what? :lol:

*************It was an unusual request, but considering Floyd Mayweather's 48th consecutive win will be on the line on Saturday night, it's easy to see why Mayweather would think of every potential curveball Manny Pacquiao could throw his way. Still, Mayweather's pre-fight request was more than unexpected.

Apparently, Mayweather was concerned about Pacquiao's cup. Specifically, he was concerned that Pacquiao's cup would cover more than just his groin area. According to Joe Tessitore, Mayweather was worried that Pacquiao's cup would cover too much area above his groin and would help protect Pacquiao from body blows.

So, the Nevada State Athletic Commission inspected Pacquiao's cup, which passed the check.

"They made a protest about Manny's cup," Freddie Roach, Pacquiao's trainer, told the Daily Mail. "They came to training this week, inspected it and approved it. The commissioner marked it and signed it to make sure it's the one he's wearing on the night. But it's the regular cup."

From Mayweather's initial request, to the inspection, to the commissioner signing Pacquiao's cup, this might just be the weirdest story to come out of the Fight of the Century.

xpnafl.jpg

So thats why Freddie Roach was talking about the jab to the body at the weigh in. It's not that bizzare though, it's been bought up before now. More often its hand wraps of gloves loaded but the protector and how high you can keep your trunks up is always bought up by the ref before the fight beforehand when he's doing the 'alright boys, now i want a clean fight in case of knockdown i want you to go the n blah blah blah' thing.

With Maidana it was the gloves. And hand wraps are often the thing, like with Margherito, the cheating bastard.

Edited by Len B'stard

Man I'm pretty pumped about this fight. I haven't felt this kind of energy about a fight since Tyson v Lewis and I think it'll be the last time I ever feel this way about a boxing match again. This is the last meaningful fight we'll probably ever see. Its kind of like Chinese Democracy in that regard- which was the last great real rock record or the album era.

Edited by Mr. Dude

Pacman said 'thankyou' to floyd and he didn't even say anything lol, he usually got something to say or a sly smile on his face for every fighter, he even shit talked Cotto at the face off, he looked nervous as fuck but that might also spell some serious danger for manny. I wish the Buffman was announcing both of them, I can't stand that Jimmy Lennon, he's nothing compared to Buffer, the ATG announcer.

THE FIGHTING PRIDE-AH OF THA PHILIPPINESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS MANNYYYYYYYYY PACMAN PACKEH-AOOOWWWWW!!! just gives me goosebumps

Jimmy Lennon can't say floooooooYYYYDDDD MONEYYYYY MEEEEEEHHHHHHHWWEATHERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrr like Buffer.

Edited by RandallFlagg

@Len @IronMike, who are you rooting for this Sat? Since you two seem to be the two biggest boxing fans active here.

Before Floyd starting talking a bunch of Shit about being "better than Ali and Robinson" I was more impartial, maybe 60/40 in favor of Pac man. I was just excited to see a great fight. But since Floyd ran off at the mouth, I hope Pac knocks him the fuck out. But will it go down that way? Honestly IDK, that's why it's an interesting fight. I agree with Len about Floyd being a defensive wizard, but that's part of my problem with him too, he is boring as he'll, that's why he has to run his mouth. It seems to me, that ever since Lennox Lewis beat Holyfield that a change happened in boxing. It used to be far more offensive, people used to really want to knock people out (my boy Tyson especially), but that's not the case anymore. Winning a decision seems to be the way people want to win now. Wlad, Floyd, and plenty of others seem more than happy to win a a boring ass fight, the excitement is just gone for the most part. That's part of the reason the sport has suffered IMO. See back in the day, they had to go to the judges because the fights were so brutal their had to be a stopping point, or people could get killed. But now, fighters are using the judges to their advantage and just winning on defense and a jab, which I freaking hate to be honest. I find it to be The pussy way out. If I had my way, I would go back to 15 round fights at least, then I bet knockouts would go up. But that's a different topic all together.

Back to the fight at hand, my gut says Manny is going to win, it really does. More money is to be had in a rematch, and let's face it, if Floyd wins he is going to fight to cup cakes to get to 50-0 then retire. If Manny wins a close decision, we will see a rematch in SSeptember, and the judges know this. Not trying to be controversial, but it is boxing here folks, but Larry Holmes got to 48-0 and lost a split decision to Michael Spinks. So I see Manny winning a close fight, like 7 to 5 rounds close. If it's close, its going to Manny, or they call it a draw. Which would be some b.s. draws fucking suck.

Which I'm not making this pick with my heart, I'm making it with my gut. The last two hhuge fights Tyson had I picked him with my heart, not my gut, and he lost to Evander and Lennox. This time I'm letting my gut make the call.

maybe if your lucky Mike Tyson will run into the ring in the 3rd round and ko both of them.

Does someone sound rattled maybe?

@Len @IronMike, who are you rooting for this Sat? Since you two seem to be the two biggest boxing fans active here.

Before Floyd starting talking a bunch of Shit about being "better than Ali and Robinson" I was more impartial, maybe 60/40 in favor of Pac man. I was just excited to see a great fight. But since Floyd ran off at the mouth, I hope Pac knocks him the fuck out. But will it go down that way? Honestly IDK, that's why it's an interesting fight. I agree with Len about Floyd being a defensive wizard, but that's part of my problem with him too, he is boring as he'll, that's why he has to run his mouth. It seems to me, that ever since Lennox Lewis beat Holyfield that a change happened in boxing. It used to be far more offensive, people used to really want to knock people out (my boy Tyson especially), but that's not the case anymore. Winning a decision seems to be the way people want to win now. Wlad, Floyd, and plenty of others seem more than happy to win a a boring ass fight, the excitement is just gone for the most part. That's part of the reason the sport has suffered IMO. See back in the day, they had to go to the judges because the fights were so brutal their had to be a stopping point, or people could get killed. But now, fighters are using the judges to their advantage and just winning on defense and a jab, which I freaking hate to be honest. I find it to be The pussy way out. If I had my way, I would go back to 15 round fights at least, then I bet knockouts would go up. But that's a different topic all together.
Back to the fight at hand, my gut says Manny is going to win, it really does. More money is to be had in a rematch, and let's face it, if Floyd wins he is going to fight to cup cakes to get to 50-0 then retire. If Manny wins a close decision, we will see a rematch in SSeptember, and the judges know this. Not trying to be controversial, but it is boxing here folks, but Larry Holmes got to 48-0 and lost a split decision to Michael Spinks. So I see Manny winning a close fight, like 7 to 5 rounds close. If it's close, its going to Manny, or they call it a draw. Which would be some b.s. draws fucking suck.
Which I'm not making this pick with my heart, I'm making it with my gut. The last two hhuge fights Tyson had I picked him with my heart, not my gut, and he lost to Evander and Lennox. This time I'm letting my gut make the call.

maybe if your lucky Mike Tyson will run into the ring in the 3rd round and ko both of them.

With his dick :lol:

Pacman said 'thankyou' to floyd and he didn't even say anything lol, he usually got something to say or a sly smile on his face for every fighter, he even shit talked Cotto at the face off, he looked nervous as fuck but that might also spell some serious danger for manny. I wish the Buffman was announcing both of them, I can't stand that Jimmy Lennon, he's nothing compared to Buffer, the ATG announcer.

THE FIGHTING PRIDE-AH OF THA PHILIPPINESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS MANNYYYYYYYYY PACMAN PACKEH-AOOOWWWWW!!! just gives me goosebumps

Jimmy Lennon can't say floooooooYYYYDDDD MONEYYYYY MEEEEEEHHHHHHHWWEATHERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrr like Buffer.

The one i hate is the barking fuckin' Mexican wanker at the press conferences and some of the lower tier weigh ins, he sounds like Al Pacinos Carlito meets Al in Any Given Sunday funnelled through a fat Mexican bloke.

I think I know the guy you mean, I just cannot imagine anyone but Buffer screaming the winner of this fight, which is a damn shame cause I'm neutral but think Floyd takes a decision 7-5, the Maidana fight and then the rematch gave me mixed opinions on how he'll cope with this kind of pressure. Hatton, Cotto, Oscar and Castillo show pressure bothers Floyd and the jab, Manny don't use the jab though but he's so fucking unpredictable and has beaten elite fighters himself.

3 cans. Fight starts. Ration 2 cans at 5am. Wank off to Lorraine. A splendid morning.

Who is Lorraine?

I beg your pardon? ''Who is Lorraine?''. Are you trying to piss me off here?

You lost me man, I have no idea what you are talking about.

You should watch some boxing, there's some great fighters out there.

I'm not denying that, but there aren't any aside from Floyed and Manny that captivate non-fan interest in anyway. Boxing is a dying sport. Sure there'll always be talent- just like track and field, pole vaulters, etc are as talented as ever- its the cultural theatric central to the sports former greatness that is dying.

Buying it? I am hoping to filch it. I am relying on Len here to provide the links if I cannot find one.

Im buying it but i'll sort you out a link come fight night

Hook a brotha up

No problem sir, hang on til fight time and i'll sort yous out :)

• Like 1

http://qz.com/395243/floyd-mayweathers-popularity-proves-its-ok-to-beat-up-women-as-long-you-beat-up-men-too/

'Floyd Mayweathers popularity proves that it is OK to beat up women as long as you beat up men too'

Uh, what popularity? :lol: The popularity that meant he can't sell a fight without a famous co-fighter? The popularity that means he can't get a mainstream sponsor despite being in the game for 17 years? The popularity that sees him get the piss taken out of him all over the internet and wins him donkey of the week awards at Hot 97? :lol: Popularity that got him booed at the weigh in of the defining fight of his career?

I'm a neutral fan, both are legends for their own reasons but Floyd's antics don't half make it easy to desire a Pacquiao victory, he won't be anywhere near The Best Ever and a win for either won't elevate them that much higher than the other imo. He's tried to get Pac to be forced out of his Cleto-Reyes (puncher's gloves) the same way he forced Maidana out of his Everlast MX into Everlast Powerlock, luckily the commission denied it this time. He's objected to Pac's balls protector cup saying it'll stop body shots cause it's too high and now I read he wants him to shave lol. Not to mention the paying off of sparring partners in the build up and hiring Pac's old conditioning coach and Marquez's apparent chemist.

He looked nervous as fuck at the weigh in, I don't doubt Mayweather knows what he's up against despite his delusional dad's rants about how easy it'll be but I don't think he appreciates manny don't get rattled, he got knocked the fuck out by Marquez, ten minutes later was smiling and saying 'that's boxing'. I don't know if Floyd has that kind of mental strength. Mayweather can punch when he sits down, it sure stopped Mosley and Canelo from rushing him and eventually Maidana by the mid-rounds but would he be willing to commit like Marquez or Morales, since these two had to go through the fires of hell... worrying about his beard or believing that's going to put a dent in his plans... that doesn't give off a particularly pumped up man. We saw what Maidana did after Mayweather's 'psychological edge' over GloveGate 1 after all lol.

Edited by RandallFlagg

I'm a neutral fan, both are legends for their own reasons but Floyd's antics don't half make it easy to desire a Pacquiao victory, he won't be anywhere near The Best Ever and a win for either won't elevate them that much higher than the other imo. He's tried to get Pac to be forced out of his Cleto-Reyes (puncher's gloves) the same way he forced Maidana out of his Everlast MX into Everlast Powerlock, luckily the commission denied it this time. He's objected to Pac's balls protector cup saying it'll stop body shots cause it's too high and now I read he wants him to shave lol. Not to mention the paying off of sparring partners in the build up and hiring Pac's old conditioning coach and Marquez's apparent chemist.

He looked nervous as fuck at the weigh in, I don't doubt Mayweather knows what he's up against despite his delusional dad's rants about how easy it'll be but I don't think he appreciates manny don't get rattled, he got knocked the fuck out by Marquez, ten minutes later was smiling and saying 'that's boxing'. I don't know if Floyd has that kind of mental strength. Mayweather can punch when he sits down, it sure stopped Mosley and Canelo from rushing him and eventually Maidana by the mid-rounds but would he be willing to commit like Marquez or Morales, since these two had to go through the fires of hell... worrying about his beard or believing that's going to put a dent in his plans... that doesn't give off a particularly pumped up man. We saw what Maidana did after Mayweather's 'psychological edge' over GloveGate 1 after all lol.

So.... who are you picking in the end to win?

I'm picking Mayweather close decision as he will not let Pacquiao fight at mid-range, his jab will be the difference unless Pacman rattles him in the first three when he tries scoping his opponent out. Pacquiao will win five rounds, Floyd seven imo, I can see both going down though, Floyd uses a high guard to fight southpaws and Guerrero was tagging him early, it's Floyd's speed that got him out, Pacquiao is the master of in and out assault, his footspeed is unreal so he can get away without using the jab. I can't think for the life of me why Floyd would commit suicide trying to walk Pac down, that worked out well for Margarito with a 20 pound weight advantage lol.

106815452-e1289756504292.jpg

Combinations will be key for Floyd but this opens him up for a beating, which he'll have to take to outscore Pac imo. I can't see a stoppage for either side but Floyd will sit down on punches, Manny will be focusing on outworking, it's an interesting dynamic.

Also at the weigh in did anyone see that shithouse oaf who always yells TBE TBE as if it's the only letters of the alphabet he knows screaming YOU'RE GETTING KNOCKED THE FUCK OUT LITTLE BOY constantly at manny? That's why pac was laughing at the face off.

Edited by RandallFlagg
  • Like 1

IM watching TYSON VS BIGGS now. I gotta say this is exactly how a Tyson vs Lewis fight would have went if they met earlier in their careers. Tyson was pretty much a washed up fighter by 2000, and was severly diminished after his losses to Holyfield, he pretty much gave up after those fights IMO.

Also if you want to gauge how a Tyson vs Klitchko fight would have looked, watch Tyson vs Golata. Tyson was already washed up by that fight, but his bobbing and weaving would have been way to much for Klitchko to handle.

I watched Klitschko-Lewis again the other night, Vitali had one hell of a chin, that fucking uppercut Lewis landed was stunning and damn near decapitated him. I always get a good laugh at the interview after with Lennox saying 'LOOK AT THE STATE OF HIS FACE' about nine times.

Is that what he was sayin? Fuckin' bellend, why dont step up and have a go, see if Manny didn't shag you right there on that stage.

IM watching TYSON VS BIGGS now. I gotta say this is exactly how a Tyson vs Lewis fight would have went if they met earlier in their careers. Tyson was pretty much a washed up fighter by 2000, and was severly diminished after his losses to Holyfield, he pretty much gave up after those fights IMO.

Also if you want to gauge how a Tyson vs Klitchko fight would have looked, watch Tyson vs Golata. Tyson was already washed up by that fight, but his bobbing and weaving would have been way to much for Klitchko to handle.

LOVED Tyson vs Biggs.

'Actually Larry he was crying and making woman gestures in there!'

Larry: woman gestures?

Mike: yeah, yknow, like UNGH, UNGH

:lol:

I have a pretty impressive fight collection if I do say so myself, I have all of the best fights (welterweight, middleweight, light heavy, and heavy) from 1979 through about 2004 or so. I made a "best of" discs a few years ago and am going to play them for my guests tonight. My party begins around 6 pm, playing poker and watching the old fights until the festivities start. I gotta say this is shaping up to be the best boxing day I've had since Tyson vs Lewis, which ended in disappointed. ?

Edited by Iron MikeyJ