The Boxing Thread

Len Cnut

Cuz he couldnt Ronnie, look at reach differential, what was he gonna do, leap in and get stretched out? The best thing Manny could've done is backed off backed off backed off...then surged forward with flurries, keep switching it up...but Manny aint cut like that.

The rounds he won, all 3 of them, he pressed. There were moments when he opened up Mayweather and just went back into his stance and scratched his bollocks. This happened tons of times during the fight.

Cuz he couldnt Ronnie, look at reach differential, what was he gonna do, leap in and get stretched out? The best thing Manny could've done is backed off backed off backed off...then surged forward with flurries, keep switching it up...but Manny aint cut like that.

The rounds he won, all 3 of them, he pressed. There were moments when he opened up Mayweather and just went back into his stance and scratched his bollocks. This happened tons of times during the fight.

Yeah but look at the shots he got him with, they were awkward swats, not textbook punches, its difficult to manuevre May into those kindsa positions, if you do it once you wont do it again.

He should have just went at it.

Honestly, this sport is pathetic. Five years of overhyped money obsessed nonsense followed by two welter weights who could not win a bar room bar in the Toon if they tried. And they were paid 200 million for the privilege!! Sugar Ray Leonard would have beaten these two jokers blindfolded with his hands tied behind his back. Pound for pound my arse.

Quite frankly Floyd being a cunt is blinding people to some of the qualities of the fight, he was turning Pacman masterfully, pirouhetting off the ropes and popping him real sharp.

Yeah, you're right in he couldn't really do it, but just thought he had to try to force it more to have any chance. After the fourth, Mayweather took complete control of the pace (as he always does) and Pacquiao had missed his chance. Mayweather is just too good and too smart that I just think the best chance is to be more reckless than usual against him, like Maidana. Though, if you don't get him out early, then he'll figure anybody out with his boxing IQ (again, like Maidana).

Not a surprising result, but still great to see the fight actually happen. A bit disappointed in Pacquiao's execution of his game plan, but have to give Mayweather the credit for that. Just too smart.

You want to see Khan or Thurman next (assuming those are the two likely candidates)?

He didn't rush him that's the main confusion, I know he respects Floyd's power but he had no problem with Rios who hits like a mule, he couldn't find a MOMENT to rush him that's the problem but he didn't even fucking go for it.

I loved seeing the two legends share the ring and exchange in moments, I didn't expect much else from Floyd, he's a genius at what he does and I knew it was horse shit he'd even contemplate walking Pac down, no slight on him, he's just not that type of fighter, it was on Pac and Roach to corner him and open him up, if Maidana could, Pac could've but they fucked it royally.

He didn't rush him that's the main confusion, I know he respects Floyd's power but he had no problem with Rios who hits like a mule, he couldn't find a MOMENT to rush him that's the problem but he didn't even fucking go for it.

I loved seeing the two legends share the ring and exchange in moments, I didn't expect much else from Floyd, he's a genius at what he does and I knew it was horse shit he'd even contemplate walking Pac down, no slight on him, he's just not that type of fighter, it was on Pac and Roach to corner him and open him up, if Maidana could, Pac could've but they fucked it royally.

Because rush where, rush how? When you know a fighters coming at you with aggression you can brace yourself for it and rush through but if you don't know when the guys gonna hit you and you're anglin' and anglin' and then you pull the trigger and his timing his SOO sharp he gets you right at that pull the trigger moment when you press forward and SIMULTAENEOUSLY circles away, thats fuckin' amazing quite frankly, in terms of skill set. And those punches and stunning because it's force of your body coming head on and on the point of contact your opponents circling away.

And you can't time Floyd cuz he has no set rhythm. I said earlier in the thread Pacquiao feints and feints and moves and all that shit but when he throws he throws from a planted position, so you know when its coming...May does not do that, May throws some punches mid-feint. It's a kinetic thing and it's in your bones, B Hop talks about it, it's almost an unnatural thing, to be able to pop people when your feet ain't planted, it's supreme talent.

It was a a good fight, but not what I would call a great one, which I didn't really expect that tbh. Mayweather is great at what he does, but I just happen to hate guys that fight like that. It's bad for the sport of boxing IMO, just jab, play defense, and win in points. That's the number 1 problem with the sport right now, but I digress....

GOod fight, good night of boxing, but not great. Hagler vs Hearns this was not, it wasn't even Tyson vs Lewis honestly.

In a sense though it is 'the fight of the century'' if you emphasise it is our century: over-hyped, money obsessed but ultimately, garbage. It fittingly describes the 21st century.

At least wrestling doesn't hide the fact that it's all hype.

What hype though? Pretty much anyone that had an opinion on this said Floyd on points...and any halfway knowledgable boxing pundit said it'd play out this way.

It was a a good fight, but not what I would call a great one, which I didn't really expect that tbh. Mayweather is great at what he does, but I just happen to hate guys that fight like that. It's bad for the sport of boxing IMO, just jab, play defense, and win in points. That's the number 1 problem with the sport right now, but I digress....

GOod fight, good night of boxing, but not great. Hagler vs Hearns this was not, it wasn't even Tyson vs Lewis honestly.

It wasn't even Mayweather - De La Hoya, nevermind those champions :lol:

In a sense though it is 'the fight of the century'' if you emphasise it is our century: over-hyped, money obsessed but ultimately, garbage. It fittingly describes the 21st century.

At least wrestling doesn't hide the fact that it's all hype.

Yeah, I guess there's that one thing about it.

That's why I think they need to go back to 15 round fights if guys are going to keep fighting like this. The judges were originally put in place to save guys lives, because a fight has to have an end other than knockout. But since the calender turned to 2000 fighters use the judges as a strategy to win fights. It's bad for the sport man. Floyd is a great fighter, I have to give him his dues, but if he was in the ring against someone that was equally skilled like a Sugar Ray Leonard, they would eat him alive because he activly avoids mixing it up. He does just enough to win the rounds. He doesn't want to beat the other fighters as much as he just wants to win the fight, that's a huge difference.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

Because rush where, rush how? When you know a fighters coming at you with aggression you can brace yourself for it and rush through but if you don't know when the guys gonna hit you and you're anglin' and anglin' and then you pull the trigger and his timing his SOO sharp he gets you right at that pull the trigger moment when you press forward and SIMULTAENEOUSLY circles away, thats fuckin' amazing quite frankly, in terms of skill set. And those punches and stunning because it's force of your body coming head on and on the point of contact your opponents circling away.

And you can't time Floyd cuz he has no set rhythm. I said earlier in the thread Pacquiao feints and feints and moves and all that shit but when he throws he throws from a planted position, so you know when its coming...May does not do that, May throws some punches mid-feint. It's a kinetic thing and it's in your bones, B Hop talks about it, it's almost an unnatural thing, to be able to pop people when your feet ain't planted, it's supreme talent.

He cannot do anything without being mid-range and I feared he would not win that battle without rattling Floyd early on and getting him in the trenches, Floyd tied him up and potshotted off the back foot, which was what he was always gonna do though he did throw some of his beautiful combinations, Manny got gunshy because Floyd has decent power but he was just waiting and waiting in the centre and he usually launches 1-1-1-2 or 1-2-1-2 and overwhelms but he was just... waiting like a dummy. I think he got surprised how Floyd asserted himself early on, HE was the guy behind and needed to create something to turn the tide around, I don't think he expected it. Floyd turned him too fast, he jabbed and disrupted, he tied him up constantly stopping any impetus, perfect fight from him. Pacquiao imo did not produce what he's capable of, which still wouldn't have resulted in anything more than 7-5 Mayweather but it would've produced some what if moments.

I think the main thing I take away is he got Manny doubting and thinking and Manny isn't the best thinker, he's a reactive whirlwind and that was always his best chance even though there was a big chance of getting decked by a pull counter, would he rather go out fighting? Absolutely.

That's why I think they need to go back to 15 round fights if guys are going to keep fighting like this. The judges were originally put in place to save guys lives, because a fight has to have an end other than knockout. But since the calender turned to 2000 fighters use the judges as a strategy to win fights. It's bad for the sport man. Floyd is a great fighter, I have to give him his dues, but if he was in the ring against someone that was equally skilled like a Sugar Ray Leonard, they would eat him alive because he activly avoids mixing it up. He does just enough to win the rounds. He doesn't want to beat the other fighters as much as he just wants to win the fight, that's a huge difference.

Thats a fucking good idea actually.

He cannot do anything without being mid-range and I feared he would not win that battle without rattling Floyd early on and getting him in the trenches, Floyd tied him up and potshotted off the back foot, which was what he was always gonna do though he did throw some of his beautiful combinations, Manny got gunshy because Floyd has decent power but he was just waiting and waiting in the centre and he usually launches 1-1-1-2 or 1-2-1-2 and overwhelms but he was just... waiting like a dummy. I think he got surprised how Floyd asserted himself early on, HE was the guy behind and needed to create something to turn the tide around, I don't think he expected it. Floyd turned him too fast, he jabbed and disrupted, he tied him up constantly stopping any impetus, perfect fight from him. Pacquiao imo did not produce what he's capable of, which still wouldn't have resulted in anything more than 7-5 Mayweather but it would've produced some what if moments.

And that is basically the logistics of the entire fight in a nutshell, perfectly illustrated. That coupled with Floyd pin-point precision of catching a man right smack bang on the point where he commits himself forward to the punch...and footwork. Range, precision, footwork.

Whats annoying everyone is Floyds ability to completely nullify the attack of one of the most aggressive fighters around today and making what could've been an exciting back and forth fight into a totally dull showcase of defensive technique. And I'd be lying to you if i wasn't exactly entertained in the sense of being excited but...i just excepted another fight of it, another Guerrero, another Canelo, at worst i was thinking like a split desicion cuz some judge didn't clean his specs or something. Was anyone other than an absolute fantasist really envisioning Pacquiao battering Floyd from pillar to post, has rushing on to Floyd ever managed anything?

In the final reckoning you have to give him his credit, 48-0 undefeated, not a fuckin' mark on him and as of this morning totally at the pinnacle of this sport in a way no one has been for decades. Not only if he undisputed the best but the gulf in talent between him and who we thought was his equal, his only challenger out there to his title, the fuckin' gulf is HUGE...love him or hate him, boring fight or exciting fight that is a fucking achievement. Can't not give a man his dues, fucking world champion since back when i was in was year 9 or 10 in secondary school and i'm a fuckin' 31 year old man now. My fuckin' hairs have gone grey watching this bastard be world champion, literally :lol:

Do i think he's unbeatable? No ones unbeatable. Honestly, i don't want him to retire, i think what he's doing is phenomenal and what he has the potential to do is phenomenal, I'd see how long he can ride this fuckin' unbeaten thing out cuz i can't anybody even vaguely on the horizon to beat him. Fuck it, go for 60-0, why not? :lol:

• Like 1

I love how everyones going 'what was wrong with Mannyyy, why wasn't he pressing, something was wrong' :lol: Same shit they were saying for Canelo, same shit they was saying for everyone, everyone gets fuckin' hypnotised the night they fight Floyd Mayweather :lol: He keeps winning like there's gonna be fuckin' Ratbrains out there making webpages about him, it's spooky, what happens to them when they fight Floyd, they all get the flu suddenly :lol:

One of the things I was looking forward to was 1. How Floyd would nullify pacquiao's in/out at mid range if he couldn't use the shoulder against the southpaw stance too often (the high guard wasn't too reliable, think that was when Pac caught him in 4) and 2. How Pacquiao would react to being controlled at distance, I never got to see how manny would deal with it because he didn't at all but it was another masterclass like the Canelo fight. he got sucked into ambling after Floyd in the centre doing the same things and then being completely ineffective on the ropes, Mayweather did anticipate every little feint and stutter he did as you said. He was thinking and thinking all the while Floyd was shifting and peppering him. That's manny going against what has always worked for him and credit to floyd for disrupting, the jab also worked wonders.

I'm glad he didn't straight up embarrass Pacquiao like he done Canelo, at least he put up a spirited, ineffective effort. There was no sign of a plan B when they got to the centre. He has no size advantage like 90% of other floyd opponents, he has no speed advantage, he has no ring IQ advantage, he has no reach advantage but he had the angles and blitzkrieg punches in bunches to assault floyd with and the power but he never pulled the trigger and went for broke, which has got him over the line previously. There were no combinations cause he couldn't land the first punch and get Floyd off balance. He also still thought walking in straight lines would bother a guy with the IQ of Mayweather, Marquez used lateral movement constantly against Pac and could easily time his predictable routes, he can often get away due to his swift closing/opening of distance but Floyd's speed was always gonna negate that.