The Boxing Thread

Len Cnut

This was a very competitive Mayweather fight :) If anyone feels like watch him get smacked a bit after that :lol:

One of the things I was looking forward to was 1. How Floyd would nullify pacquiao's in/out at mid range if he couldn't use the shoulder against the southpaw stance too often (the high guard wasn't too reliable, think that was when Pac caught him in 4) and 2. How Pacquiao would react to being controlled at distance, I never got to see how manny would deal with it because he didn't at all but it was another masterclass like the Canelo fight. he got sucked into ambling after Floyd in the centre doing the same things and then being completely ineffective on the ropes, Mayweather did anticipate every little feint and stutter he did as you said. He was thinking and thinking all the while Floyd was shifting and peppering him. That's manny going against what has always worked for him and credit to floyd for disrupting, the jab also worked wonders.

I'm glad he didn't straight up embarrass Pacquiao like he done Canelo, at least he put up a spirited, ineffective effort. There was no sign of a plan B when they got to the centre. He has no size advantage like 90% of other floyd opponents, he has no speed advantage, he has no ring IQ advantage, he has no reach advantage but he had the angles and blitzkrieg punches in bunches to assault floyd with and the power but he never pulled the trigger and went for broke, which has got him over the line previously. There were no combinations cause he couldn't land the first punch and get Floyd off balance. He also still thought walking in straight lines would bother a guy with the IQ of Mayweather, Marquez used lateral movement constantly against Pac and could easily time his predictable routes, he can often get away due to his swift closing/opening of distance but Floyd's speed was always gonna negate that.

A handful of good shots aside i don't think it was really much of a hard nights work, I'd say Maidana had a better night. You gotta throw odd non textbook punches. See cuz a textbook boxer like Floyd knows what to do with a textbook attack, but those wild winging Maidana punches were the type to hit Floyd. Rough him up, impose yourself physically, Manny couldn't do that cuz he was the smaller man, a lot shorter arms.

THIS JUST IN: Manny Pacquiao discloses he injured his right shoulder during his training and was denied anti-inflammatory shot before fight.

lol

They were mentioning that before actually, some kinda anti-inflammatory shit. That and ankle troubles.

They're showing tweets from other athletes and celebrities on ESPN during the post match press conference. Don't know what to think about people complaining about no knockout, calling it underwhelming, even one saying "bring heavyweights back" (I wasn't aware they left...). Just find it strange people are complaining about that, knowing that neither fighter has been known for knockouts lately. At the same time, I'm curious about how many of them know about GGG, Thurman, Wilder, Matthysse, etc. There's plenty of fighters out there with the style that people (I'm guessing mostly casual fans) were hoping to see tonight, and yet they may not know or care to watch those fighters since they're not named Mayweather or Pacquiao. Maybe Wilder can become more popular (mainly talking about in the U.S.) if he can eventually beat Wlad and become the next American heavyweight champion, but there seems to be a limited ceiling for the others with casual fans maybe not caring to give them a chance. That's disappointing since there are some great fighters who bring what people were looking for to each fight. Hopefully, the PBC series can help provide exposure to get more casual fans watching more (it appears to be off to a nice start). Maybe I'm off on all of that--just a reaction from seeing some of those tweets--but, there's plenty of offensive, knockout-minded boxers still out there for those casual fans on Twitter, if they give them a chance.

The thing with Mayweather is he never really fights to win. It's always not to lose. There is nothing exciting or interesting about how he fights. He's a smart fighter and technically he's great and he's built a nice undefeated record but he's he most unimpressive undefeated champ ever. The true greats fought to win. They'd pick their spots and take their shots. Mayweather simply plays defence and then counters with fluff punches. I can appreciate defensive fighters. I mean I love GSP and Machida in MMA but at least when those guys counter they are looking to finish. Mayweather doesn't. It's just fucking boring and whats worse is this guy has the arrogance of Ali yet its completely unjustfied. Plus he has none of the appeal or charm of an Ali or even a Tyson. How a guy can be so arroganta nd be considerd one fo the great when all his opponents look like they just went for a jog around the block is beyond me. As far as all time greats go Mayweather is at the very bottom of the list.

This picture says it all. Mayweather didnt beat Manny, he simply didn't lose to him. Just like all his fights.

CEDz-YHUMAANQs4.jpg

I'm not saying it needs to be a slug fest. That's not it at all but for fuck sakes do something. Try to deliver on your unjustifed hype machine rater than just lulling everyone to sleep

I love the way Len is praising the manner of Mayweathers victory when he did the boxing version of exactly what CHELSEA did against his beloved Arsenal - avoid defeat, make it hard for the opponent to get any meaningful attacks in.

Park the Bus Mayweather!

There will be a rematch. First fight was for money, next will be for real.

Mayweather said tonight that he's got one fight left in September and then he's retiring. If they rematch it will have to be in September it seems.

They should take points out of it. If you knock them out you win, or at least knockdowns. Points just encourages hackiness. Like penalties in soccerballs.

If its a draw its a draw. To have such a huge fight decided by 4 taps more in each round is a bit pathetic.

Cash is the winner here.

So predictable, points win for the points win guy. Rematch for another 100 mil each.

There's a lot of fare weather fans tuning in and basically your taking our money so have to deliver some action. Two guys hugging isnt going to be legendary.

I love the way Len is praising the manner of Mayweathers victory when he did the boxing version of exactly what CHELSEA did against his beloved Arsenal - avoid defeat, make it hard for the opponent to get any meaningful attacks in.

Park the Bus Mayweather!

I also called it dull and boring, jus like i did with Chelsea :lol:

They're showing tweets from other athletes and celebrities on ESPN during the post match press conference. Don't know what to think about people complaining about no knockout, calling it underwhelming, even one saying "bring heavyweights back" (I wasn't aware they left...). Just find it strange people are complaining about that, knowing that neither fighter has been known for knockouts lately. At the same time, I'm curious about how many of them know about GGG, Thurman, Wilder, Matthysse, etc. There's plenty of fighters out there with the style that people (I'm guessing mostly casual fans) were hoping to see tonight, and yet they may not know or care to watch those fighters since they're not named Mayweather or Pacquiao. Maybe Wilder can become more popular (mainly talking about in the U.S.) if he can eventually beat Wlad and become the next American heavyweight champion, but there seems to be a limited ceiling for the others with casual fans maybe not caring to give them a chance. That's disappointing since there are some great fighters who bring what people were looking for to each fight. Hopefully, the PBC series can help provide exposure to get more casual fans watching more (it appears to be off to a nice start). Maybe I'm off on all of that--just a reaction from seeing some of those tweets--but, there's plenty of offensive, knockout-minded boxers still out there for those casual fans on Twitter, if they give them a chance.

Cuz the people who are complaining are not people who are especially into boxing and dont know that Mayweather is this kind of fighter.

Honestly though, week in week out there are brawls in boxing, Provodnikov never had a fight that wasnt a brawl, Mathyyssee, Danny Garcia, Keith Thurman, GGG, Deontay Wilder, Jesus Christ the guy is undefeated with nothing but knockouts on his record, theres action in boxing, everyones just peeved that their little celebrity gala event was a fucking dud, who cares, could've (and did) tell you that weeks ago.

Believing the media that you were gonna get Ali Frazier, fight of the century, well more fool you if you thought that.

boxing better have enjoyed that, it will be there last moment in the sun.

Yeah, they been saying that consistently since Ali hung em up :lol:

Anyway, onto Canelo vs Kirkland! :D You'll get more action out of that fight that you did in this one and all the people criticising boxing, resolving that boxing sucks because of Mayweather won't see it :shrugs:

Edited by Len B'stard

But was Manny's lack of work rate, not a surprise? He must have known that he conceded two rounds instantly, without barely throwing a punch. If you lose the first two rounds in a twelve rounder, you are always on the back foot. Also, there were a couple of rounds which he started well but Mayweather always made sure he ended stronger and Manny sort of tailed off.

But was Manny's lack of work rate, not a surprise? He must have known that he conceded two rounds instantly, without barely throwing a punch. If you lose the first two rounds in a twelve rounder, you are always on the back foot. Also, there were a couple of rounds which he started well but Mayweather always made sure he ended stronger and Manny sort of tailed off.

It is not Mannys work rate though, it is Mayweather ability to nullify a work rate. He has done this with any number of fighters, what happened to Ricky Hattons work rate, to Canelos, to Mannys, it's all the same thing, you think if just rushing Mayweather was the key he would not have been beaten long ago? You simply cannot beat him like that. You can keep on saying 'what happened, what happened' or you can open your eyes to the obvious, you wanna know what happened to his workrate? Floyd Mayweather happened to it, this is not some Mickey Mouse boxer that you can just flail at and pray you hit something, Manny actually had a couple of goes at rushing him and look what happened, Mayweather ducked, turned him and in a couple of instances made him look very slow and almost amateurish, had Manny kept that up all night it would've been even more embarassing for him than it was. There was just nothing for him to hit. Do you know how embarassing it is for an 8 division world champion to get turned on the ropes like that and end up punching air and your opponent behind you going 'I'm over here!'

All this cobblers about, just because Mayweather didn't lose doesn't mean he beat Manny...uh, yeeeeeeesss it does actually :lol: I think you'll find it was a unanimous desicion and almost a shut out :lol:

Edited by Len B'stard

What fight were the Mail watching: ''Battered Manny Pacquiao narrowly loses fight of the century''?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3065867/Seconds-fight-century-Justin-Bieber-gives-Floyd-Mayweather-pre-fight-motivation-400m-pay-view-spectacle-gears-Vegas.html

All of the hippy hoppy black guys, 50 cents and Puff Daddy etc, were in Floyd's camp and everyone else, was in Manny's basically because Floyd is a complete wanker. Apart from Bieber.

PS

Watching this now. Arum has a face like a smacked arse,

Edited by DieselDaisy

This fight killed boxing as a spectator sport.

No way. You should have heard the bitching after Floyd's fight with Oscar, now that was a boring fight. I found last night to be quite entertaining, especially for a mayweather fight. But kill boxing? No way.