Wrestling Thread Vol. 3

ssiscool

29 minutes ago, F*ck Fear said:

I've watched them all up to the road warrior episode.

I've been waiting patiently for the Owen Hart episode!

Such a great show!

The Owen episode is going to be the Grandaddy of them all!

His Mrs and kids are all participating apparently. I can’t wait!!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dean said:

I've always felt like they could have added to Owen's legacy in WWE if they had just allowed more dvd sets, and his likeness in the games.

Regardless, this episode will be a great one, no doubt.

I also rather enjoyed learning a bit about David Schultz.

On 09/05/2020 at 11:52 PM, Dean said:

Anyone been watching the new series of Dark Side of the Ring?

On 15/05/2020 at 9:22 AM, F*ck Fear said:

I've been waiting patiently for the Owen Hart episode!

Such a great show!

On 15/05/2020 at 9:53 AM, Dean said:

On 15/05/2020 at 7:23 PM, F*ck Fear said:

Regardless, this episode will be a great one, no doubt.

Watched Owen Hart's episode this evening.

Heartbreaking.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, F*ck Fear said:

Just saw this Russ, badass!

I always loved that version of the Intercontinental Championship.

The new one (like most of them) look like hideous toys.

Totally agree. This has always been my favorite Intercontinental design. Actually, my favorite overall favorite belt design. 

It's a completely frivolous thing that no one needs, but I've always wanted one so my wife found a great replica for my birthday :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Totally agree. This has always been my favorite Intercontinental design. Actually, my favorite overall favorite belt design. 

It's a completely frivolous thing that no one needs, but I've always wanted one so my wife found a great replica for my birthday :)

That's awesome, dude.

I agree about not needing one but I've always wanted the 'Big Eagle' WWF Championship from the Attitude Era.

One day :lol:

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 1/13/2021 at 6:13 PM, RussTCB said:

This is random, but I watched the very last WCW Nitro this morning. So I followed that up with the adjacent episode of RAW. That led to me now about halfway through WrestleMania 17.

Watched Wrestling With Wregret's review of the final Nitro last night.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2021 at 8:32 PM, F*ck Fear said:

The Austin swerve at the end of WrestleMania 17 was great. It gets shit on, but Stone Cold was a heel from the beginning, so I loved it.

It wasn't until Hunter went out with the quad tear that Austin's heel run went to shit.

Being 11 at the time I was beside myself. I was happy when "old" Stone Cold returned to destroy WCWECW and distraught when he betrayed WWF at Invasion.

Simpler times.

Edited by ChineseDemocracy2004

1 hour ago, ChineseDemocracy2004 said:

Being 11 at the time I was beside myself. I was happy when "old" Stone returned to destroy WCWECW and distraught when he betrayed WWF at Invasion.

Simpler times.

I fucking loved the Invasion angle back then, especially the Survivor Series from that year. Funny how with age, you truly see it could have been so much better had they had access to the top tier talent. I not long ago finished Bret's book and I have for some time wondered what would have happened had Bill Goldberg not given him that concussion, especially with the take over not being that long after. His return could have been huge ratings in itself, especially if he was still active in ring.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dean said:

I fucking loved the Invasion angle back then, especially the Survivor Series from that year. Funny how with age, you truly see it could have been so much better had they had access to the top tier talent. I not long ago finished Bret's book and I have for some time wondered what would have happened had Bill Goldberg not given him that concussion, especially with the take over not being that long after. His return could have been huge ratings in itself, especially if he was still active in ring.

With all the corroborating evidence we have now - it seems obvious that Vince simply decided to pick Shawn over Bret culminating with Survivor Series '97 - and that it never had anything to do with Vince's monetary concerns regarding Bret's contract, seeing as Jim Ross has confirmed that Vince was paying Michaels $750,000 to stay at home up until the point WCW went out of business.

It's all moot now - but I think he picked the wrong guy. And on some level - he has to know that. Bret Vs Austin at Wrestlemania XIV would have been one of the great main events in Wrestlemania history - maybe the greatest ever. He could have had great programs with Austin, Rock, Undertaker and new blood like Angle, Benoit and Jericho.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FuriousStyles said:

With all the corroborating evidence we have now - it seems obvious that Vince simply decided to pick Shawn over Bret culminating with Survivor Series '97 - and that it never had anything to do with Vince's monetary concerns regarding Bret's contract, seeing as Jim Ross has confirmed that Vince was paying Michaels $750,000 to stay at home up until the point WCW went out of business.

It's all moot now - but I think he picked the wrong guy. And on some level - he has to know that. Bret Vs Austin at Wrestlemania XIV would have been one of the great main events in Wrestlemania history - maybe the greatest ever. He could have had great programs with Austin, Rock, Undertaker and new blood like Angle, Benoit and Jericho.

I think Vince's ideology on professional wrestlers at that time was that they were past it when they hit 40, and with Shawn being 8 or so years younger than Bret, probably wanted to invest his time and money into younger talent. It's mad when you consider that AJ Styles will be 44 this year and Jericho continues to defy the odds at 50 - all of that along with the fact Bret Hart's 1997 was one of the greatest years for any wrestler ever, he was top man.

The WM13 bout with Austin showcase the two of them at their best, it's almost a blessing that the alleged rematch with Michaels didn't happen due to how phenomenal this was. I'd have loved to have seen him up against Angle, that would have been a great encounter, he definitely could have played a big part - though didn't seem that was the case when Vince lay out what he had planned ahead for the next few years when he attempted to 'convince' Bret to stay - jobbing to Michaels continuously. Fast forward to 2000 when he met Vince in the park to discuss Owen, and he was telling him to come back and he'd put the belt back on him :lol:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dean said:

I think Vince's ideology on professional wrestlers at that time was that they were past it when they hit 40, and with Shawn being 8 or so years younger than Bret, probably wanted to invest his time and money into younger talent. It's mad when you consider that AJ Styles will be 44 this year and Jericho continues to defy the odds at 50 - all of that along with the fact Bret Hart's 1997 was one of the greatest years for any wrestler ever, he was top man.

The WM13 bout with Austin showcase the two of them at their best, it's almost a blessing that the alleged rematch with Michaels didn't happen due to how phenomenal this was. I'd have loved to have seen him up against Angle, that would have been a great encounter, he definitely could have played a big part - though didn't seem that was the case when Vince lay out what he had planned ahead for the next few years when he attempted to 'convince' Bret to stay - jobbing to Michaels continuously. Fast forward to 2000 when he met Vince in the park to discuss Owen, and he was telling him to come back and he'd put the belt back on him :lol:

I've always argued that 1997 may have been the best year for the WWF ever. It has Bret's best work as a character. Austin's best and most original work as Stone Cold. Michaels was great. It was the birth of the Attitude Era - but still relied on traditional wrestling programming and feuding. I hold it in high regard next to WWF '88-'89 years.

• Like 2

On 1/15/2021 at 10:23 PM, Dean said:

Had Bret been able during the invasion my question is; "Who's side is he on?!" and who would you have liked him to have a a program with? 

• Wow 1

8 hours ago, ChineseDemocracy2004 said:

Had Bret been able during the invasion my question is; "Who's side is he on?!" and who would you have liked him to have a a program with? 

That's a hard one and not something I've thought about - I think coming back into WWE television, it'd have been best for him to make the most noise and show that he was disgusted at being back working for Vince and aligning with WCW, at least temporarily, if he was still babyface with the fans, he could have turned on WCW much like Angle did - having something between Bret and Vince would have been easily done, though a program with Triple H would also have done well for PPV, seen as Shawn wasn't around then. Then the talent around that time that he could have worked with, Angle, Jericho etc etc. 

Edited by Dean
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dean said:

That's a hard one and not something I've thought about - I think coming back into WWE television, it'd have been best for him to make the most noise and show that he was disgusted at being back working for Vince and aligning with WCW, at least temporarily, if he was still babyface with the fans, he could have turned on WCW much like Angle did - having something between Bret and Vince would have been easily done, though a program with Triple H would also have done well for PPV, seen as Shawn wasn't around then. Then the talent around that time that he could have worked with, Angle, Jericho etc etc. 

Another hypothetical for you; had all of WCW's bigger stars taken part would the Invasion stand a chance with too many stars unwilling to put people over because of their creative control?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ChineseDemocracy2004 said:

Another hypothetical for you; had all of WCW's bigger stars taken part would the Invasion stand a chance with too many stars unwilling to put people over because of their creative control?

I reckon if Vince had it planned out in advance on how he wanted things to culminate by the Survivor Series, he could have convinced them to play ball for the duration and come up with finishes that didn't really make anyone look that bad. For the main event at Survivor Series, the Alliance had Austin, Angle, Booker T, RVD and Shane McMahon. That's just two big names from WCW/ECW, so it all depends on how they would have built the big names prior to that. A lot of fans say that they shat on Booker T from the get go, I think the segment with The Rock's 'who in the blue hell are you?' is brought up quite a lot to showcase that. So, in an ideal world, the definite's would have been Sting and Goldberg. NWO had gone to nothing by the time of WCW's demise, though a year down the line would show that there was always interest whenever Hogan was involved, so you'd think they'd have used him knowing that it would have guaranteed an audience. It's just a shame that they had to make use out of so many of their own talent to jump ship to make up the numbers. I actually thought Steiner would have had a much bigger impact than he did when he joined but he just fell by the way side - I wouldn't have had him anywhere near the big names though.  What would you have liked to have seen happen?