Wrestling Thread Vol. 3

ssiscool

2 hours ago, Dean said:

That's a hard one and not something I've thought about - I think coming back into WWE television, it'd have been best for him to make the most noise and show that he was disgusted at being back working for Vince and aligning with WCW, at least temporarily, if he was still babyface with the fans, he could have turned on WCW much like Angle did - having something between Bret and Vince would have been easily done, though a program with Triple H would also have done well for PPV, seen as Shawn wasn't around then. Then the talent around that time that he could have worked with, Angle, Jericho etc etc. 

Another hypothetical for you; had all of WCW's bigger stars taken part would the Invasion stand a chance with too many stars unwilling to put people over because of their creative control?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ChineseDemocracy2004 said:

Another hypothetical for you; had all of WCW's bigger stars taken part would the Invasion stand a chance with too many stars unwilling to put people over because of their creative control?

I reckon if Vince had it planned out in advance on how he wanted things to culminate by the Survivor Series, he could have convinced them to play ball for the duration and come up with finishes that didn't really make anyone look that bad. For the main event at Survivor Series, the Alliance had Austin, Angle, Booker T, RVD and Shane McMahon. That's just two big names from WCW/ECW, so it all depends on how they would have built the big names prior to that. A lot of fans say that they shat on Booker T from the get go, I think the segment with The Rock's 'who in the blue hell are you?' is brought up quite a lot to showcase that. So, in an ideal world, the definite's would have been Sting and Goldberg. NWO had gone to nothing by the time of WCW's demise, though a year down the line would show that there was always interest whenever Hogan was involved, so you'd think they'd have used him knowing that it would have guaranteed an audience. It's just a shame that they had to make use out of so many of their own talent to jump ship to make up the numbers. I actually thought Steiner would have had a much bigger impact than he did when he joined but he just fell by the way side - I wouldn't have had him anywhere near the big names though.  What would you have liked to have seen happen?

1 minute ago, Dean said:

What would you have liked to have seen happen?

Good question; Austin wins lol.

I'll have to think about it; maybe have the NWO involved but have them play both sides until they're forced to pick a side, it blows up in their faces or WWE/WCW/ECW join together to stop the NWO.

Triple H versus Ric Flair perhaps and the fallout from that eventually leads to Evolution. I can't remember why Flair joined with HHH in 2002 or 2003.

For some reason I've got Austin versus DDP in my head. Stunner versus Diamond cutter.

Bret versus Angle; ridiculous match. Bret's with WCW for reasons. Angle wins, Bret passes the torch. WCW turns on Bret, Bret rejoins WWF and helps them beat WCW. A hero's return.

As for Goldberg; who did WWF have at that time who would arrive, wreck people and leave?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ChineseDemocracy2004 said:

Good question; Austin wins lol.

I'll have to think about it; maybe have the NWO involved but have them play both sides until they're forced to pick a side, it blows up in their faces or WWE/WCW/ECW join together to stop the NWO.

Triple H versus Ric Flair perhaps and the fallout from that eventually leads to Evolution. I can't remember why Flair joined with HHH in 2002 or 2003.

For some reason I've got Austin versus DDP in my head. Stunner versus Diamond cutter.

Bret versus Angle; ridiculous match. Bret's with WCW for reasons. Angle wins, Bret passes the torch. WCW turns on Bret, Bret rejoins WWF and helps them beat WCW. A hero's return.

As for Goldberg; who did WWF have at that time who would arrive, wreck people and leave?

I don't remember how Flair joined Hunter in storyline, but Flair's confidence was at an all time low, so Hunter convinced him to be his 'manager' of sorts, accompanying him to the ring and whatnot. 2002/3 was really a resurgence for Flair, the match with Taker at Mania and then onto Evolution which truly was fantastic, brought ol' Natch back into the big time. 

3 minutes ago, Dean said:

I don't remember how Flair joined Hunter in storyline, but Flair's confidence was at an all time low, so Hunter convinced him to be his 'manager' of sorts, accompanying him to the ring and whatnot. 2002/3 was really a resurgence for Flair, the match with Taker at Mania and then onto Evolution which truly was fantastic, brought ol' Natch back into the big time. 

And now he's hooking up with Lacey Evans in kayfabe?

Stylin' and profilin'.

• GNFNR 1

I have to stop keeping up to date with WWE/AEW as both are incredibly hard to watch so why do I look for news? :lol:

I love the sport, I guess thats it. Too bad the in ring work is as garbage as the storylines.

It's just not professional wrestling anymore.

On 1/19/2021 at 2:28 PM, ChineseDemocracy2004 said:

And now he's hooking up with Lacey Evans in kayfabe?

Stylin' and profilin'.

The extent to which Ric has become a complete caricature of himself makes me sad. Should've stayed away from wrestling ever since HBK put him down, but he just absolutely can't.  

• Like 1

Another great YouTube channel I found recently is called Wrestling Bios. I'm sure a lot of other people know about them, but I just found the recently. 

Anyway, he's got a lot of great videos but the series I like the most is called Reliving The War. He goes week by week and directly compares Nitro and Raw episodes that aried against each other. 

https://youtube.com/c/WrestlingBios

• Like 2

21 hours ago, ChineseDemocracy2004 said:

He needed the money didn't he? So much so that Vince gave him thousands of dollars. I don't know where I read that.

I've heard some stuff, but I'm not exactly sure how and why. But purely as a wrestling fan the way he's been involved since his WWE in-ring retirement (2008) makes me sad. I really loved Flair in the 90's as a kid. And since then seeing some of his classic 80's stuff has been great too. 

On 1/26/2021 at 10:48 AM, username said:

The way he's been involved since his WWE in-ring retirement (2008) makes me sad. 

I agree.

Although I did enjoy Ric's reveal as the ambulance driver when McIntyre & Orton had one of their rematches at Clash of Champions.

His segment this week reminded me of Trish & Triple H.

On 1/24/2021 at 7:40 PM, ChineseDemocracy2004 said:

Who's winning the Royal Rumbles?

Came here to ask the same question :) I actually rate last years Royal Rumble as the best Rumble I've ever seen so I've got pretty low expectations that they'll top it, but definitely going to be watching it.

I'd love to give you a prediction but I honestly have no idea who'll win this year :shrugs:

• Like 1

On 1/28/2021 at 4:05 AM, downliner said:

Came here to ask the same question :) I actually rate last years Royal Rumble as the best Rumble I've ever seen so I've got pretty low expectations that they'll top it, but definitely going to be watching it.

I'd love to give you a prediction but I honestly have no idea who'll win this year :shrugs:

Watching live at the time I thought the first half of last year's was dreadful but looking back it made sense. Lesnar is overpowered. Having him destroy half of the entries made McIntyre eliminating him more impactful.

I watched a few Rumbles this week to pass time; 2001 > 2006 > 1991 > 2016 > 1996 > 2011.

Men's; I don't know who will win either. I would like Edge, Daniel Bryan, Keith Lee or Sheamus to win.

Women's; I would like Rhea Ripley to eliminate Charlotte Flair. I would like Bianca Bel-Air to win but I think Bayley will win. 

On 1/30/2021 at 10:42 PM, ChineseDemocracy2004 said:

Watching live at the time I thought the first half of last year's was dreadful but looking back it made sense. Lesnar is overpowered. Having him destroy half of the entries made McIntyre eliminating him more impactful.

I watched a few Rumbles this week to pass time; 2001 > 2006 > 1991 > 2016 > 1996 > 2011.

Men's; I don't know who will win either. I would like Edge, Daniel Bryan, Keith Lee or Sheamus to win.

Women's; I would like Rhea Ripley to eliminate Charlotte Flair. I would like Bianca Bel-Air to win but I think Bayley will win. 

You must be pretty happy right now. :D

• Like 1

On 1/30/2021 at 9:42 PM, ChineseDemocracy2004 said:

I'm always a bit of a csynic when it comes to WWE creative decision making and I honestly thought they'd have Lesnar come in at #1 and win that Rumble just to piss off the crowd and give Lesnar more heat. When Drew kicked his face over the top rope I about shat myself :lol: Was gutted when Covid put a dampener on Drews Mania tbh, I'd booked flights from the UK to Florida just to see him headline and show him some home team support :(

Have to say I was disappointed that Edge won this years mens rumble. It was a decent Rumble, I just don't think they should be giving someone like Edge the win because he's already an established star in the WWE, he didn't need the win and I don't see him having a long term angle/storyline. What made the previous Rumble so great was that no-one would have expected Drew to win it. I'd have preferred it if someone less established had got the chance to shine again, though I dont know who tbh, Alistair Black maybe?

Bianca winning the womens rumble was great. I feel like that Rumble should have closed the show if they insisted on Edge winning the mens rumble :shrugs:

On 2/6/2021 at 5:04 AM, downliner said:

Have to say I was disappointed that Edge won this years mens rumble. It was a decent Rumble, I just don't think they should be giving someone like Edge the win because he's already an established star in the WWE, he didn't need the win and I don't see him having a long term angle/storyline. What made the previous Rumble so great was that no-one would have expected Drew to win it. I'd have preferred it if someone less established had got the chance to shine again, though I dont know who tbh, Alistair Black maybe?

Bianca winning the womens rumble was great. I feel like that Rumble should have closed the show if they insisted on Edge winning the mens rumble :shrugs:

When I realised Edge and Orton were first and second entrants I thought Edge would win.

I imagine if Edge hadn't gotten hurt he'd be taking the championship from Orton at WrestleMania.

I disagree; I thought Drew winning his Rumble was predictable but the good kind of predictable because I think it's what the majority of us wanted.

I miss Aleister; I would have liked him to have returned at the Rumble. Another example of an NXT star going to waste. It's a shame what happened to his wife too.

I'm glad Bianca won. I would like to see her versus Sasha. I was nervous about Charlotte winning back to back Rumbles. How else will they structure her feud with Asuka towards WrestleMania?

• 2 weeks later...

I re-subscribed to the Network for the first time in years. Disappointed to find that a lot of content has been taking down, notably the Great Rivalries: Shawn vs. Bret. That was a phenomenal watch that I really wanted to tune into again. Disgrace from Vinnie Mac and his cronies. It's been good watching old PPV's again though.

4 hours ago, Dean said:

I re-subscribed to the Network for the first time in years. Disappointed to find that a lot of content has been taking down, notably the Great Rivalries: Shawn vs. Bret. That was a phenomenal watch that I really wanted to tune into again. Disgrace from Vinnie Mac and his cronies. It's been good watching old PPV's again though.

I've been watching a lot of Wrestling Bios and Wrestling With Wregret on YouTube. Pretty much any videos of theirs that focus on the mid 80s through the Attitude Era. 

Every so often, I'll go to watch full matches or events referenced in their videos but honestly that's about all I use the network for. 

55 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I've been watching a lot of Wrestling Bios and Wrestling With Wregret on YouTube. Pretty much any videos of theirs that focus on the mid 80s through the Attitude Era. 

Every so often, I'll go to watch full matches or events referenced in their videos but honestly that's about all I use the network for. 

At one point I realized I was barely using it, so I couldn’t justify staying subscribed, especially when I wasn’t watching the current product. The Wrestling Bios channel is great, the fella does really well to get through such a vast amount of coverage to upload.

I recently finished reading Bret’s book which made me want to rewatch some of the classic PPV’s so that, along with Kurt’s new podcast, made me pull the trigger again. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dean said:

One other thing is I believe they have hardly uploaded any house show video? Why not upload more of that stuff? I want to see the matches that have cult status but we never got to see, such as the Shawn Michaels vs Steve Austin house shows in 1996 where they supposedly tore the house down every night.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

One other thing is I believe they have hardly uploaded any house show video? Why not upload more of that stuff? I want to see the matches that have cult status but we never got to see, such as the Shawn Michaels vs Steve Austin house shows in 1996 where they supposedly tore the house down every night.

I think very few house shows were taped from that period, I’m just basing that off of Bret saying his matches on the WrestleMania revenge tour with Owen were vastly superior than their opening for WM10. I definitely agree with you though, there will be a lot of gems they are sat on but it seems that they’re lazy in getting content out.

14 minutes ago, Dean said:

I think very few house shows were taped from that period, I’m just basing that off of Bret saying his matches on the WrestleMania revenge tour with Owen were vastly superior than their opening for WM10. I definitely agree with you though, there will be a lot of gems they are sat on but it seems that they’re lazy in getting content out.

Did he say none of those were taped, or just that they haven't been released? I would have thought they were all taped because they would need to send a feed of video to the jumbotron for the audience. I assume they save that tape (at least I hope they did). Seems to be similar to GnR concerts from 91 on, all that stuff is on tape it's just sitting in a vault somewhere.