Wrestling Thread Vol. 3

ssiscool

Interesting how the UFC has fallen recently.

Brock Lesnar, genetic freak and NCAA champion, had to win one fight before he got signed by UFC.

CM Punk, a pro wrestler with no combat sport background and an average build, gets signed to a multi-fight deal on day one.

Edited by bacardimayne

He might be lightweight. He's always had a little chub on him, but if he hires actual trainers they'll cut him down to like 145. I agree he won't go long at 36, but you never know. I wish Lesnar could've had a better run without the diverticulitis and more focused training, he could have been one of the greats.

His funeral. This'll be over before it begins. But MAN will people tune in.

I agree. I think he's gonna get destroyed. I respect that he's willing to step in there but I just don't see this going well for him. he's not Brock Lesnar. not even close.

here's his interview with Joe Rogan at tonight's fights.

http://www.ufc.com/media/ufc-181-cm-punk-interview

Brock Lesnar, genetic freak and NCAA champion, had to win one fight before he got signed by UFC.

Signing brock right off the bat made sense though. There was no point in having him toil away in minor leagues. he'd fucking KILL everyone. he came to UFC with one fight experience and destroyed Frank Mir twice(yeah technically he lost the first fight), he pummelled hearing for 3 full rounds, he KO'd randy, he submitted Carwin, lost to a beats in Cain and then lost to a roided up Overeem after suffering through his long lay off due to diverticulitis.

People complain about Brock getting his shot too soon but you wanna know the truth? there was no other option with that guy. Oh sure they could've gave him half a dozen warm up figts just to improve even more but Brock didn't wanna fight chumps and the UFC didn't wanna book him against chumps. he fought #1 contenders, former champs and champs. That was it.

I honestly believe had Brock not gotten sick he'd still be a title contender beating the shit outta guys. Brock deserved the opportunity he got.

CM Punk on the other hand. What a joke. He's gonna get destroyed in my opinion.

He might be lightweight. He's always had a little chub on him, but if he hires actual trainers they'll cut him down to like 145.

No chance he fights at light weight. Welter weight at the lowest 170 lbs

Signing brock right off the bat made sense though. There was no point in having him toil away in minor leagues. he'd fucking KILL everyone. he came to UFC with one fight experience and destroyed Frank Mir twice(yeah technically he lost the first fight), he pummelled hearing for 3 full rounds, he KO'd randy, he submitted Carwin, lost to a beats in Cain and then lost to a roided up Overeem after suffering through his long lay off due to diverticulitis.

People complain about Brock getting his shot too soon but you wanna know the truth? there was no other option with that guy. Oh sure they could've gave him half a dozen warm up figts just to improve even more but Brock didn't wanna fight chumps and the UFC didn't wanna book him against chumps. he fought #1 contenders, former champs and champs. That was it.

I honestly believe had Brock not gotten sick he'd still be a title contender beating the shit outta guys. Brock deserved the opportunity he got.

CM Punk on the other hand. What a joke. He's gonna get destroyed in my opinion.

He might be lightweight. He's always had a little chub on him, but if he hires actual trainers they'll cut him down to like 145.

No chance he fights at light weight. Welter weight at the lowest 170 lbs

That's what I was getting at. Someone as legitimate as Brock still had to prove himself to the UFC by winning an MMA fight, in order to get signed.

Now, we've got someone MUCH less promising than Brock who gets signed off the bat.

Man, I'm a huge punk fan and granted I don't follow UFC as much as I wish I did, but I can't see Punk lasting long. Guys gunna get his ass kicked.

Granted, it'll generate a hell of a lot more buys than UFC already gets. All that matters at the end of the day.

That's what I was getting at. Someone as legitimate as Brock still had to prove himself to the UFC by winning an MMA fight, in order to get signed.

Now, we've got someone MUCH less promising than Brock who gets signed off the bat.

especially shocking considering lesnars background, the guy is a decorated NCAA wrestler, i dont think punk has any background in wrestling at all. punks fights will draw big time for a number of reasons but i think dana wont take it easy on him i think he will get some good competition off the bat, sink or swim style. if dana white gets 2 or 3 fights of hype it would be money well spent, look what he got out of kimbo slice.

Ah I see. I thought you were lumping Brock in as a guy who was signed too soon. I agree with you than/

Holy fucm, didn't know he was 6'2". 170 seems pretty realistic for fighting weight. But at that height he'll have some reach I bet.

there is no way he's 170 at 6'2".You can tell just by his build he's not 170. If he was 170 he'd be shredded haha. I'm 5'9", 190 and Punk clearly outweighs me.

Genetic freak took Brock very far in the sport, because it sure as hell wasn't skill. When the first guy figured out to hit him in the face, his whole power went away. Shame he didn't stick around for a rematch with Cain or Overeem. But neither of the outcomes would've changed I don't think.

Genetic freak took Brock very far in the sport, because it sure as hell wasn't skill. When the first guy figured out to hit him in the face, his whole power went away. Shame he didn't stick around for a rematch with Cain or Overeem. But neither of the outcomes would've changed I don't think.

He beat an undefeated Shane Carwin who was never the same since. His two losses were to the current, dominant heavyweight champion who, over four years later, still hasn't really been tested outside of a freak knockout punch he made up for twice.

He then lost over a year later, after a fight with a gut disease that nearly killed him, to a roided up freak who, you guessed it, kneed him in the fucking gut. I personally think if Brock came back 100% and fought Overeem in his current state, he'd destroy Alistair.

Not to say I think Brock is amazing or anything, but I don't feel he deserves the rap he gets. He proved himself, lost to a phenomenal fighter, beat a deadly disease, and then lost to a roided up goon.

• Like 1

He was lucky against Carwin. Brock should've been finished a lot sooner but Shane gassed, and that was it.

There's no telling how long Cain will keep the belt, I would give him the odds against pretty much anyone the put up against him, but then again people said the same about Anderson Silva so who knows.

I've a feeling Overeem's skill would still make it tough for Lesnar to get anything done. Because yes he wasn't amazing or anything close, he was literally just a bigger stronger guy than anybody they put up against him. Some guys knew how to nullify that advantage, some didn't.

Just saying, it's gotta count for something that he was the only one to survive that onslaught. Mr. Glasschincan'ttakeapunch Lesnar survived Carwin's onslaught and made him gas out.

lesnar was in no hurry to get back up. carwin caught him good but lesnar knew carwin didnt have the endurance to last, at the back end of the round lesnar was actually smiling at carwin, because lesnar knew he was done. dana white has said many times before people really dont understand how bad that illness lesnar had was on his body. in the overeem lesnar looked like shit.

as for rematch with carwin, it would be interesting especially if carwin is still on the juice, his whole career he has been pretty much a one round fighter, and with his muscles and his size he is naturally going to get winded faster, a fully healthy lesnar with his speed would just have to take down carwin and that would be pretty much it, i know it is easier said than done and carwin has power, but carwin has 0 ground game. I mean lesnar really shouldnt have comeback when he did, the guy almost died and was facing 2 different illnesses at the same time, i think he did pretty damn well under the circumstances.

• Like 1

Carwin threw a ton of punches after the initial one that dropped Brock but he landed NOTHING after that. Brock defended himself pretty well and Carwin up to that point was undefeated and knocking guys out left and right. Brock came out in the second round composed and submitted a guy people considered the #1 contender.

Brock was hell a skilled. he wasn't just some big brute. he is an amazing athlete, incredibly skilled at wrestling and despite what anyone says wrestling is an MMA skill. he had strength, power, size, speed skill in certain areas. Brock was NOT just some big strong guy.

despite popular belief Brock could take a punch he just didn't know how to react to them properly. That's what got him in trouble. the unnecessary scrambling against Cain is what did him in. It's not that he coudn't take the shots it's how he reacted afterwards. If he had learned to stay composed he'd have given Cain a real run.

• Like 1