Post pictures of random stuff you've bought recently

Budweiser

I made the best purchase ever today. What did I find in an Oxfam slap bang in the middle of Newcastle? Only two antique volumes of Horace's Odes and Epodes and Juvenal's 14 Satires, original Latin with copious scholarly notes, retailing for around £4 each! They are beautifully bound hardback editions from 1904 and 1932.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

I made the best purchase ever today. What did I find in an Oxfam slap bang in the middle of Newcastle? Only two antique volumes of Horace's Odes and Epodes and Juvenal's 14 Satires, original Latin with copious scholarly notes, retailing for around £4 each! They are beautifully bound hardback editions from 1904 and 1932.

Oooh, that's great! I have been starting to go to antiquarians myself looking for old books. My newest pet project is a historical fiction series I am thinking about writing in a few years. Just need that 25th hour of the day...

These are the bottles I bought in Scotland recently:

hdJlHmE.jpg

They were £ 80,- (just over € 100,-) a piece.

Left: Glendronach, distilled in 1994, bottled in 2013, 18 years old, 51,6% alcohol, matured in first fill Pedro Ximinez sherry casks (puncheons), bottle 194 from a total of 671 available bottles. Bottled exclusively for the Drinkmonger store in Pitlochry, Scotland.

Right: Old Pulteney, distilled on 1 May 2000, bottled on 16 October 2014 (by me at the distillery!), 14 years old, 61,1% alcohol, matured in bourbon casks, bottle 168 from an unknown total of bottles (estimated around 180) available. For sale exclusively at the Old Pulteney distillery in Wick, Scotland.

:wub: :wub: :wub:

Edited by username

This jacket:

IMG_8518_zps8e60c3ff.jpg

This shirt:

IMG_8517_zps8c0982a0.jpg

That jacket looks oddly like Elvises 68 comeback jacket...used to have one of them.

band_zpsd290660c.png

For £9.00

Trebor Mints they're a minty bit stronger

Stick em up your arse and your willy grows longer!

There's worse things to own that a jacket that looks like it could pass for one that Elvis wore! :lol:

You have to tell me what you do for a living if you want me to believe that.

I remember him saying he promotes bars or something. £30 paychecks and whatnot. Don't worry, I'm sure Dazey and Len are still supporting him.

Someone's gotta support him. I'm glad it's not me. :lol:

You have to tell me what you do for a living if you want me to believe that.

I remember him saying he promotes bars or something. £30 paychecks and whatnot. Don't worry, I'm sure Dazey and Len are still supporting him.

Happily :) After all, we're all brothers under the sun, up the workers and all that :) (right up em usually :lol:)

Edited by Lennie Godber

Is that a "carry on" film line there Len?

Try explaining that film genre to the Americans..

Now i think about it it does sound a little Sid James :lol:

And yeah, it'd be a bit troubling trying to explain it. I guess the best description is after the sexual revolution, the pill etc American societies responses to sex kinda bounced between puritanical and liberal whereas the English, after a decade or so, went to the other extreme and stopped taking it at all seriously. Sexual slapstick if you like, of the Robin Askwith variety. They must get it a bit as I'm told Benny Hill enjoyed a modicum of popularity across the puddle.

But there was a lot of that in British film during the 60s and 70s. The Daily Mail now refer to it as 'the dark ages of british comedy' which is a bit much. There's a comedy out there, romantic comedy with Oliver Reed in it called A Girl Like You about him trying to pop this virgins cherry...and it doesn't even end the obvious way either, with them falling in love, it ends up some other bloke shagging her, it's all weird and contrary to the accepted model for such films.

Edited by Lennie Godber