Unfortunate One-Hit Wonders

Jabberwocky

This thread is for bands/artists who had one chart hit but whose overall discography is made up of really solid tunes, etc. Should have been more famous and had more than one hit. Since I know nothing about any other countries charts systems I'll go with Billboard. Feel free to chime in with why you think they shoulda, woulda, coulda. Also post videos of what you think were other good songs from them.

First is Concrete Blond. Their only hit was "Joey" in 1990. Made it up to No.19. I really love Johnette Napolitano's very powerful voice and the band's blend of hard rock and early gothic rock.

• Like 1

I'll add another. This is a band who I really dig.

Saigon Kick. They unfortunately and undeservedly got lumped into the hair metal/power ballad group. I love the harmonies and how hard they rocked. Jason Beiler is underrated as a guitarist (and vocalist). Anyways, you can see how influencial Jane's Addiction was to alot of up and coming late 80's hard rock bands. Even after their lead vocalist Matt Kramer left in early 1993 they still were able to carry on with rock but incorporated many Experimental and World Music elements to broaden their sound. *as a side note Marilyn Manson championed them when he was living in Florida*

Their only hit was "Love Is On The Way" which reached 12 in 1992.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_Cd3vA97Ng

and here is two post Kramer tracks

Edited by Jabberwocky

Warren Zevon...he had a big hit with Werewolves Of London....he's one of the best lyricists of all time, funny and dark, twisted and heartfelt...

Unfortunate is a good word for Zevon. Awesome guy, but Werewolves was just so big and so different, really overshadowed his other stuff. Love some Lawyers,Guns, and Money. I consider that a classic.

Edited by J Dog

• 2 weeks later...