Catholics don't have to breed 'like rabbits', says Pope Francis

SoulMonster

Catholics do not have to breed “like rabbits” and should instead practise “responsible parenting”, Pope Francis said on Monday.

Speaking to reporters en route home from the Philippines, Francis said there were plenty of church-approved ways to regulate births.

But he firmly upheld church teaching banning contraception and said no outside institution should impose its views on regulating family size, blasting what he called the “ideological colonisation” of the developing world.

African bishops, in particular, have long complained about how progressive, western ideas about birth control and gay rights are increasingly being imposed on the developing world by groups, institutions or individual nations, often as a condition for development aid.

“Every people deserves to conserve its identity without being ideologically colonised,” Francis said.

Source: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jan/20/catholics-dont-have-to-breed-like-rabbits-says-pope-francis

I strongly disagree with the last rather silly and ignorant statement. Every people does NOT deserve to conserve their identity.

Yeah, if one's identity is steeped in misogyny or bigotry, I agree.

But at least he's making the concession that procreation isn't necessary to be good Catholics. Now only if we could get the other religions to go along...

Yes, exactly, like when they point to African leaders who are insulted that we demand them to stop discriminating against gays in return of aid. Discrimination against gays really isn't an component of a nation's identity worth conserving. Numerous other examples comes to mind, both in the past and contemporary, like discrimination against women in many Arab countries, discrimination against minorities within a country (e.g. Tibetanians in China), judicial systems that violate human rights, etc. Such components of a nation's or a people's identity really don't deserve to be conserved anywhere else than in the books of history. As for the rest, architecture, cuisine, languages, traditions, religions, customs, car types, etc, the more diverse peoples are, the better for me since I am not particularly fond of the homogenization of the world.

Good on the pope. Let's hope this leads to less people in the world, especially less catholics.

:lol: I can't help it. I like this pope much better than the ones before him. I can't imagine anyone in an official position saying such a thing, let alone the pope.

I do wonder if there still are so many catholics breeding like rabbits though...

every people deserve the identity they have.

not everyone is on the same page of the social and cultural evolution. the attempts to aggresively impose the identity that people are not ready to accept usually don't end well. but that doesn't mean that developed world should not eductae and help those who wants education and needs help

I do wonder if there still are so many catholics breeding like rabbits though...

in the Philippines, apparently

How is one meant to procure cash for 'Spoons and Gregges, without a football team of sprogs? Those benefits are not given away without reason, are they?

I got my first ever child benefit payment last week. £123 for fuck all just sitting there in my account one morning. :D Of course I felt obliged to immediately spend the lot on Richmond Menthol Superkings, Tennants Super and the 15:25 at Chepstow. :lol:

I thought this was funny especially since The Roman Catholic Church doesn't want you to use any kind of birth control.

Does the Pope mention how people should do this?

This Pope has some very modern ideas, but really doesn't commit to many of them.

I think he should make a law that allows Priests to marry and then when they give marriage advice they'll actually have experienced it for themselves.

I think he should make a law that allows Priests to marry and then when they give marriage advice they'll actually have experienced it for themselves.

A very common sentiment, but going to your priest in concern about your marriage is still often a good idea. The priest is very invested in the lives of his parishioners, and usually has a view into them that nobody else really has, especially when it comes down to spiritual issues and differences. He is so involved in the well-being of so many relationships that he has formed an excellent body of experience about the dynamics of such relationships. Besides that, he has also received many classes of training in just this topic. It's really not like going to your single friend to talk about your marriage problems. Priests are well-trained and well-experienced.

And besides that, when you go to a psychologist, a social worker, or some other kind of counselor, is it necessary for that counselor to have had the same concern, problem, experience, or condition as you to know what they're talking about? Absolutely not! You know what they will tell you if you ask them if they have ever been in the same situation? Regardless of whether or not they have, they will tell you that it's irrelevant, that they are well-trained to serve you, and they won't tell you the answer! The difference is that people already know priests are unmarried, so they use this prior knowledge to bias themselves against this form of counseling.

A very common sentiment

As a Catholic, maybe you can explain to me why contraceptives aren't one of the many "church-approved ways to regulate births"? Is there a theological basis for considering contraceptives "intrinsically evil"? All I can remember are some Bible quotes about people being ordered to go forth and multiplying and dominating Earth or something to that effect, which I believe one could say we have already achieved or that we can achieve even if we enjoy sex not meant for reproduction. To me, this all just seems like some weird idea that sprang to the minds of the Church fathers, without much religious basis, and then the Catholic Church has never gotten round to realize that these archaic rules are remarkably silly and absolutely not relevant for modern society.