Favorite Floyd album?

drtydane

I've always found this to be a tricky question, but I'll answer it the way I usually do when asked (apologizes for the over explanation):

-I think Dark Side Of The Moon is their BEST album. Its the perfect culmination of everything Pink Floyd became and its an album that just seamlessly worked. Its also why I think its one of the greatest albums of all time. It sounds so natural from them. And I know it sounds cliche, because its such a well known album, and the comparison I usually do is to Hitchcock's Psycho. I think by all accounts, its his BEST movie, and arguably my favorite, even though its so cliche to say that. But it just happens to be the movie where everything came together for him perfectly.

-Having said that, my FAVORITE would be Wish You Were Here. There's just a quality about that record, and quite possibly because its not the cliched DSOTM that gets talked about all the time, that just makes it spectacular. Its an incredible record and for some reason its the one I gravitate towards most when I think of favorite, even though Dark Side Of The Moon is note perfect.

-Also with Pink Floyd, I have a couple dark horses. Animals is as great an album as the previous two and never gets talked about as much as them. On more occasions than anything, when I think how I haven't listened to Pink Floyd in a while, I'll put on Animals (oddly enough). Another personal favorite of mine is Meddle. I love the whole album, but the opener of One Of These Days and closer of Echoes are absolute perfect bookends. So while I grossly over answered the question, I thought those two albums deserved a shout out.

EDIT: And now, reading other posts, I see Zoso perfectly said what I just stupidly repeated about Dark Side. Its one of the few albums I can think of that sounds so pure and sounds so 25% equal split by each band member. Not one other person other than those 4 could have made that record.

Edited by gunsfanoldie
  • Like 1

I've always found this to be a tricky question, but I'll answer it the way I usually do when asked (apologizes for the over explanation):

-I think Dark Side Of The Moon is their BEST album. Its the perfect culmination of everything Pink Floyd became and its an album that just seamlessly worked. Its also why I think its one of the greatest albums of all time. It sounds so natural from them. And I know it sounds cliche, because its such a well known album, and the comparison I usually do is to Hitchcock's Psycho. I think by all accounts, its his BEST movie, and arguably my favorite, even though its so cliche to say that. But it just happens to be the movie where everything came together for him perfectly.

-Having said that, my FAVORITE would be Wish You Were Here. There's just a quality about that record, and quite possibly because its not the cliched DSOTM that gets talked about all the time, that just makes it spectacular. Its an incredible record and for some reason its the one I gravitate towards most when I think of favorite, even though Dark Side Of The Moon is note perfect.

-Also with Pink Floyd, I have a couple dark horses. Animals is as great an album as the previous two and never gets talked about as much as them. On more occasions than anything, when I think how I haven't listened to Pink Floyd in a while, I'll put on Animals (oddly enough). Another personal favorite of mine is Meddle. I love the whole album, but the opener of One Of These Days and closer of Echoes are absolute perfect bookends. So while I grossly over answered the question, I thought those two albums deserved a shout out.

EDIT: And now, reading other posts, I see Zoso perfectly said what I just stupidly repeated about Dark Side. Its one of the few albums I can think of that sounds so pure and sounds so 25% equal split by each band member. Not one other person other than those 4 could have made that record.

You both brought out points about DSotM that I usually can't articulate well. I'm a big fan of the pre-Dark Side material from Saucerful through Meddle. Whenever I spin them, I point out to people bits and pieces that were realized better later on DSotM.

The comment about dark horses got me thinking too; any love for The Final Cut around here?

I'm glad that the point has been made that Meddle is criminally underrated.

Favorite... probably a tie between Dark Side and WYWH.

The Wall and Animals are sublime too. Animals is very underrated.

I also think Saucerful is their worst album. That one just never gelled with me. I dig Set The Controls, but the rest just doesn't really work for me.

I'm glad that the point has been made that Meddle is criminally underrated.

Meddle being under rated has always puzzled me. One Of These Days was a huge live staple on the later tours, so I always expected that to bring more attention to the album. Same can be said for Echoes in the earlier days. Fearless happens to be one of my personal favorite Floyd tunes so even if it didn't have the other two tracks, Meddle would still be a favorite of mine.

• Like 1

The comment about dark horses got me thinking too; any love for The Final Cut around here?

I love that album. Boom boom bang bang.

Btw: Snowy White's Pigs On The Wing solo remained unused on the main release of Animals, but it is a beautiful solo that adds a lot to the song imo:

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 3

Btw: Snowy White's Pigs On The Wing solo remained unused on the main release of Animals, but it is a beautiful solo that adds a lot to the song imo:

Agreed! I have this big 16-disc bootleg set A Tree Full Of Secrets, that's where I knew this version from. Always loved it to bits!

• Like 1

I friggen LOVE The Final Cut. Only reason I didn't bring it up is because I don't truly consider Momentary Lapse Of Reason or Division Bell real Pink Floyd albums because they don't have Roger, and I don't like to be a hypocrite and say the one without Richard still is. Its more a Roger solo album, same as The Wall essentially is. But yes, I think its an incredible album that too many, even myself, disregarded.

Quick other note about that: I used to hate The Wall. The first side is incredible, and then the rest was just babbling and whining from Waters was my take away for years on that album. At some point it finally clicked and I really got into it and the story, but what was always funny to me was while I didn't like The Wall, I loved The Final Cut. Even though the stories, at least in terms of Roger telling stories and "whining" about his childhood were similar themes on both albums. I always thought The Final Cut was much better because it was a more concise record and stripped away all the unnecessary bombast that The Wall had. I still feel that way even though my view towards the Wall is much more positive.

Lastly, had never heard that version of Pigs On The Wing before. Thats fucking awesome! Fantastic Snowy White solo and it is basically hearing a song you've heard for decades and then all of a sudden have the tape still rolling. I like the way they separated them for Animals, but this version is really great as well. (Oh, and yeah, Fearless on Meddle is one of my favorite Floyd tunes as well :P )

I friggen LOVE The Final Cut. Only reason I didn't bring it up is because I don't truly consider Momentary Lapse Of Reason or Division Bell real Pink Floyd albums because they don't have Roger, and I don't like to be a hypocrite and say the one without Richard still is. Its more a Roger solo album, same as The Wall essentially is. But yes, I think its an incredible album that too many, even myself, disregarded.

Quick other note about that: I used to hate The Wall. The first side is incredible, and then the rest was just babbling and whining from Waters was my take away for years on that album. At some point it finally clicked and I really got into it and the story, but what was always funny to me was while I didn't like The Wall, I loved The Final Cut. Even though the stories, at least in terms of Roger telling stories and "whining" about his childhood were similar themes on both albums. I always thought The Final Cut was much better because it was a more concise record and stripped away all the unnecessary bombast that The Wall had. I still feel that way even though my view towards the Wall is much more positive.

Lastly, had never heard that version of Pigs On The Wing before. Thats fucking awesome! Fantastic Snowy White solo and it is basically hearing a song you've heard for decades and then all of a sudden have the tape still rolling. I like the way they separated them for Animals, but this version is really great as well. (Oh, and yeah, Fearless on Meddle is one of my favorite Floyd tunes as well :P )

I've always kinda/sorta considered The Final Cut to be a Roger solo album as well, but Dave's solo's on the title cut and Not Now John REALLY make it a Floyd LP for me.

I've always kinda/sorta considered The Final Cut to be a Roger solo album as well, but Dave's solo's on the title cut and Not Now John REALLY make it a Floyd LP for me.

Dave is barely on the record, but when he is its fantastic. They worked best together, like all great duos, and its what was missing from later Floyd albums and Waters solo records. They needed each other. I'm happy Gilmour fought at least a little to get his input on The Wall and Final Cut, because his contributions are invaluable.

Relics, even though it's a compilation, is one of my favorites. I agree with whoever said Dark Side is their best but WYWH is my favorite. Of the 'big 4' I'd go DSOTM > WYWH > Animals > The Wall. The Wall is great for what it is, but it's too long and drawn out to sit through most of the time. The last 1/4 is especially difficult to get through.