Why is paranoia so rampant in America?

Facekicker

Ok I think there has always been this element in American culture, I suppose it goes way back to not trusting the government which was only exacerbated by the Kennedy assassination and the resulting conspiracy about a second shooter.

However it seems that since 9/11 that rampant paranoia has just gone off the tracks altogether. What do you think is fueling it? Is the internet or is it a symptom of a kind of mass national hysteria only made worse by the constant fear mongering in the media about terrorism and "external threats".

When I lived in the states I just couldn't get over the rampant paranoia, it just really struck me as something that was totally out of the norm yet seemingly part of everyday life in the States. It's just not like that at all here in Ireland.

I remember some guy ranting about communism to me and all I was thinking was - "Fuckin hell man it's not 1950 anymore what the flying fuck are you on about?"

Then you have the anti-vacc movement and the Chemtrail nutters.

TL;DR Americans, why are you so fucking paranoid?

America was a country stolen off Indians, had settlements built and then it was protected by guns, sounds a pretty fertile ground for paranoia to me. Dont take that bad Americans, everywheres robbed off someone, that weren't a criticism.

Furthermore it was built by slaves that in turn were kept in check by force due to them that run tingz worrying about Mandingo down the bottom of the garden creeping up in the middle of the night, sticking a spear down the slavemasters aris', bumming the fair lady and burning his house down. Couple of centuries of that and it just becomes a way of life i suppose.

A little later it was Commies etc. Reason you Irish aint paras is cuz paranoia is what you feel when you're worried about getting fucked, Ireland never had that problem, they been getting fucked since year 0 anyway. Thats why you're all so relaxed, what could happen that aint already? :lol:

Edited by Len B'stard

I think you hit on part of the reason alright Len with the persecution complex they have.

The one that fascinates me is the Chemtrail conspiracy theorists. I know a guy over there who is just totally into that scene. It's bizarre listening to him because other than this belief he is a totally normal regular bloke. Works the 9-5, wife and kids, doesn't drink or smoke, not even overly religious.

One could say he is so normal he is bland even. Boring. Safe.

Yet he totally believes this Chemtrail guff. Takes photos of contrails over his house every day, posts them on facebook and starts ranting about how "they" are poisoning himself and his family.

Fuckin bizarre :lol:

• Like 1

Bigger population also i suppose so the wanker demographic gets accentuated in that regard.

I think it's partly this, partly the rugged individualism thing that turns into the "Out Ta Get Me" mentality, but it's also probably a feeling of being powerless in such an especially big country. You notice every "doomsday prepper"/apocalypse nutjob is a loser/failure? They're hoping for the end times so they can be on top with all the useless skills they've learned :lol:

Also, I don't think every conspiracy is unfounded. Plenty have been exposed as fact years after the matter. Of course people in power or craving power are gonna be pulling strings behind the scenes, just gets a bit nuts when people start talking about Lizardmen/Illuminati/Freemason shit.

Like you said, the two main political parties of the USA are two cheeks of the same arse.

"This country started with a conspiracy!"

As an American even I am confused about our culture. Take for instance, my grandma's refrigerator and pantry. Who the hell needs six boxes of the same fucking cereal and a whole bunch of two bunches when you live by yourself?

I don't quite understand the purpose of abundance here.

It's not uncommon for a person to own three cars and have a kitchen jam-packed with food that will spoil before it is even eaten. What gets me even more is the fact that we like to grocery shop for sport here and then we decide to eat at McDonald's for every meal.

People kill me.

• Like 1

As an American even I am confused about our culture. Take for instance, my grandma's refrigerator and pantry. Who the hell needs six boxes of the same fucking cereal and a whole bunch of two bunches when you live by yourself?

I don't quite understand the purpose of abundance here.

Maybe cuz she's old she gets a lot of the stuff that don't go off quick cuz it's hard getting shopping done etc?

I guess it's the reality of a perfectly normal guy who comes home from work every day and then takes photos of the clouds as "evidence" of some huge government plot to do god knows what, that's what cracks me up.

That some guys is wasting all his free time taking photos of clouds and posting them online so other "Chemtrail Experts" can verify them as legit.

It's fucking hilarious :lol:

This is his latest facebook update

It hasnt rained significantly in California for 4 yrs... They spray nonstop here. Coincidence? I doubt it.

Edited by Facekicker
  • Like 1

I think where this stuff gets scary though is when these people start to act on their beliefs.

I read a story recently where some guy in the states was arrested because he threatened to shoot down a passenger jet with a stinger missile to prove that it was spraying chemicals

I think the scariest thing about US are cops. All these videos where they are chasing someone and if the person they're chasing is picking his pockets or whatever they go "gun, possible gun, open fire!!!". Or cases like when they shot the homeless man "armed" with a fucking knife. Why do they hire such pussies?!

Over here when some crazy fuck goes out waving their gun the cops will first tell them to drop it, if they don't then use tazer or shoot them in the leg. There's a video of this happening actually.. A deranged guy walks around harbor area and cops talk to him and finally shoot him in the leg. I bet my balls they'd have killed the dude in the US.

I guess not being black makes it a little less of danger in the US...

Edited by Is0tope
  • Like 1

Well, being a cop isn't easy. There have been cops getting killed for just a traffic stop. You aren't out on the streets day after day not knowing if a kid has a gun or a bomb or whatever the hell they are using these days.

I remember once when I was shopping with my cousins and she got into a fight with another girl because she wouldn't move out of her way. The girl was just looking for trouble, so they fought. Luckily for us, a cop came along and brought us into a store to wait for a police car to show up. I remember seeing the girl just waiting outside the store and how more and more people stood out there with her.

when the cops arrived they put us in the middle of them and took us to the police car. I swear I thought I was going to get knifed or killed, but I was never so happy to see two 6 foot cops come to our rescue.

It's like everything else in life you have the good with the bad. That's a fact of life, but in today's world you just don't have to worry about little criminals you have terrorists who are looking to blow up planes and buildings to kill as many people as they can, all in the name of their religion or because people are different. It's a scary world out there and it saddens me to know it's not going to get any better.

You have to have to wits about you at all times no matter where you live in this world.

im not sure its paranoia but more of a need to feel important. most people live their lives punch the clock from 9-5 come home want to relax, spend time with their families and kind of just be a normal everyday stiff. then there are people who do this routine but they find it mundane or boring and need to feel some kind of importance and be "in the know" on things few if any are in on. so you get all kinds of weird theories about chemtrails, reptilians, illuminati or just regular ratbrain type behavior.

• Like 1

im not sure its paranoia but more of a need to feel important. most people live their lives punch the clock from 9-5 come home want to relax, spend time with their families and kind of just be a normal everyday stiff. then there are people who do this routine but they find it mundane or boring and need to feel some kind of importance and be "in the know" on things few if any are in on. so you get all kinds of weird theories about chemtrails, reptilians, illuminati or just regular ratbrain type behavior.

Honestly this is it. It's not legitimate paranoia for most of these people. They don't leave in actual fear of the fake threats they're claiming exist. They just get some weird satisfaction out of feeling as if they "know something" that most don't.