What are you currently playing? Last game played?

I’m playing the Spyro Reignited Trilogy at the moment with my 5 year old son, we’re on Gateway to Glimmer - he got really frustrated with it and I asked him what the matter was and he said “that fat bear took all my gems again, I hate that bear!” .... I can’t wait till he sees the ending :lol:

On 14/11/2018 at 8:53 PM, Oldest Goat said:

I hate that bear too! Will be great when it comes to PC

I’ve played quite a bit of the first game now and it’s so good, they’ve done an amazing job. I think it’s even better than the Crash Bandicoot one. The speedways are driving me nuts though :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

As I'm winding down AC: Odyssey, I decided to give Unity another chance. I bought it on release, but never finished it due to the litany of issues it had.

Now though, I'm enjoying it a lot. The bugs are (mostly) gone, and the story/narrative structure is a fresh departure from Origins/Odyssey. It feels good to be a real Assassin again.

40 plus hours into Dragon Quest XI. I should really like this game. It's a long turn based jrpg with plenty to do, however it's way too easy for this genre. A JRPG where you kill everything in 1 or 2 hits is a serious design flaw. None of the bosses have much health or do anything interesting.

Bit disapointed. 

11 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

40 plus hours into Dragon Quest XI. I should really like this game. It's a long turn based jrpg with plenty to do, however it's way too easy for this genre. A JRPG where you kill everything in 1 or 2 hits is a serious design flaw. None of the bosses have much health or do anything interesting.

Bit disapointed. 

I've been eyeing the game. Is it too easy the entire time, or just closer to end-game? 

Is the narrative good?

4 hours ago, OmarBradley said:

It's not a bad game, but compared to the first (and third) it's pretty lacking and is clearly the weakest of the three. I may try to give II a replay soon, as I've played Origins and Inquisition a lot.

I had Origins but I deleted it. It was more top down? 

I struggled with the combat. You just press A? Then you can set spells and things. 

21 hours ago, wasted said:

I had Origins but I deleted it. It was more top down? 

I struggled with the combat. You just press A? Then you can set spells and things. 

Not sure what you mean by "top down". Both games are fairly linear, but the individual areas/maps are open so it doesn't feel as linear. 

I play on PC, so just pressing A would just move my character to the left a lot :lol:. I don't remember the specifics of DA:II's combat though, if that's what you're referring to. It's probably more button mashy than Origins, but less so than Inquisition.

If you like classic style RPGs, there's aren't many good excuses to avoid DA: Origins. It's like the quintessential "what a medieval type RPG with dragons and magic should be."

2 hours ago, OmarBradley said:

Not sure what you mean by "top down". Both games are fairly linear, but the individual areas/maps are open so it doesn't feel as linear. 

I play on PC, so just pressing A would just move my character to the left a lot :lol:. I don't remember the specifics of DA:II's combat though, if that's what you're referring to. It's probably more button mashy than Origins, but less so than Inquisition.

If you like classic style RPGs, there's aren't many good excuses to avoid DA: Origins. It's like the quintessential "what a medieval type RPG with dragons and magic should be."

I just remember the perspective being from above wandering around a castle talking to people. 

I’ve never played RPG other than Fable 2 if that counts. It seems like a time thing. You need blocks of 4 hours to get into it. 

18 hours ago, wasted said:

I just remember the perspective being from above wandering around a castle talking to people. 

I’ve never played RPG other than Fable 2 if that counts. It seems like a time thing. You need blocks of 4 hours to get into it. 

Ah yeah, the camera can get isometricy - but you don't have to play the game that way. It can be played as a regular third person RPG, though utilizing the camera for combat is helpful.

On 16/12/2018 at 2:50 AM, OmarBradley said:

Ah yeah, the camera can get isometricy - but you don't have to play the game that way. It can be played as a regular third person RPG, though utilizing the camera for combat is helpful.

I had a go in DA 2 and I got it, it’s like medieval Mass Effect. Bioware. I love it though. It’s a bit like fable 2 but with a team. I literally played for 6 hours straight.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/12/2018 at 1:33 AM, OmarBradley said:

I've been eyeing the game. Is it too easy the entire time, or just closer to end-game? 

Is the narrative good?

Sorry for the late reply. Only just finished it.

The endgame is actually when it starts to balance out and require effort. Feels closer to an older JRPG. Issue is without spoiling anything it's 80 plus hours that the endgame starts. Though there's more to do that point than one might imagine. This isn't a story spoiler or something that'll ruin the experience, but 

Spoiler

the game keeps going after the credits. The story isn't finished and what feels like a DLC follows. That's the end game and everything suddenly levels up, meaning you need to grind. The main game was so easy that I ran past lots of creatures, because it was just repetitive and too easy. The end game at some points requires a bit effort and you need decent armour/weapons.

Pretty lengthy game, but very linear. Not fond of the story personally. Very generic with all the narrative points that whoever wrote it probably had a checklist. Feels like an old remake of a snes rpg that was just given updated graphics which is both good and bad.

It's still a good game though, just think it's a bit overhyped. If you like these types of games you'll like this.

As a disclaimer the only other Dragon Quest game I played was VIII when I was a kid.

FYI Personsa 5 is the modern JRPG for you if you want story and a even longer game. 

The combination of @wasted talking about Dragon Age and the rumblings from The Game Awards has got gotten me replaying Dragon Age: Origins. Heavily modded this time and first time not playing as a male Cousland. The lore depth is more than I remember, in a good way. So far, being a male Dalish really does make for a (moderately) different experience in dialogue/cutscenes.

3 hours ago, OmarBradley said:

The combination of @wasted talking about Dragon Age and the rumblings from The Game Awards has got gotten me replaying Dragon Age: Origins. Heavily modded this time and first time not playing as a male Cousland. The lore depth is more than I remember, in a good way. So far, being a male Dalish really does make for a (moderately) different experience in dialogue/cutscenes.

I somehow got my sister killed but I’m living in a mansion. I keep pressing the joke option, does it make any difference what decisions you make? 

I actually manage to control my whole team to defeat this ancient wraith thing. It kept nuking the area. 

I also realised I’ve been running around with much better weapons and armour in my back pack. And leveling up is manual too. 

I’ll probably get origins and inquisition if I see them somewhere. Maybe Mass Effect 2.