The Self Employment Thread

Gracii Guns

• 2 months later...

I am looking to go legit!

Declare it all (as a business expense :lol:) but nonetheless, be open/on the books/legit.

I have been thinking about registering an LTD... At first I was all about retail, then that quickly turned into landscaping, now, since yesterday (or whenever, recently) it hit me...

Why not just have a 'music' business... Have a record company and a label so I can release things on to it.

So that's what I want, after a lot of thought and an epiphany of what's in my face and what is in my dreams too. :lol:

Am not lookin' to go to jail/be shut down or whatever.

I wonder if I sell, about generating it as a mechanical right. :P

Best of luck snakes. Only you could start a business without an obvious route to take from the start.

I've registered as a Ltd. company, and have a business bank account.

I'm officially self-employed from tomorrow. I'm going to have to go without my little treats over the next month, but I'm also feeling relieved that neither do I have to waste my time commuting.

• Like 2

I have small "garage shop" where I sell buy and sell products for a small, niché market. I don't need to live off of this job so I can keep the margins low. But I mirror Len's comments - it takes time in the beginning. Expect your revenues initially to drown in expenses, but many of these expenses are one time only investments, and in a few years, if you have doen your job properly and accurately modelled the market, then you will turn a profit. I have deliberately kept it small, because I don't have time to this this full time, and it seems to work - people drive for hours to come to my "store", but I might opt to expand and maybe hire people to run it.

My regular job is also self employed, sort of. It was a business I co-founded with a colleague after graduating. Due to our business model and the market, we needed investors early on and I have been diluted to only own a smaller share of it. I am employed through the shareholders via the Board, yet I still feel like it is "my company". I guess untill they boot me :D I am also in the process of starting a third company now. It will be similar to my regular job, and we are now looking at financing possibilities to prevent early dilution. Soft money is hard to come by in Norway. I will probably not have a position in this company, but remain on the owner side and probably have a seat at the Board.

I applaud anyone who creates jobs. I love people with teh entrepreneurial spirit. It is daring, involves a lot of work, and can be risky. Still, the rewards of seeing it succeed surpasses anything else job related, I think. It helps if you like challenges. If helps if you don't have a family. But you have to be able to survive if you fail. Don't risk it all. I have seen entrepreneurs work their asses off, go bankrupt, ruin their family lives, end up in divorce, and become broken and ruined. It is not for all. But do it.

• Like 2

Best of luck snakes. Only you could start a business without an obvious route to take from the start.

I've registered as a Ltd. company, and have a business bank account.

I'm officially self-employed from tomorrow. I'm going to have to go without my little treats over the next month, but I'm also feeling relieved that neither do I have to waste my time commuting.

Am thinking...

Now...

'And thus ANOTHER flash in the pan/go no where record label was born'...

So nah, am thinking... I WANT DIVIDENDS TAX to hopefully enable me to freeze every expense... Under 'the label'.../my company.

But... I don't want another go no where all talk all bull*' so am thinking, buy into one I like...

Sony...

And get my dividends tax from that (to try and see about this loophole thing I heard about), and then Idk, talk about doing something with my record label.

thinking... might need studio and recording equipment, which is pricey.

need retail outlet/can be done.

need to register for VAT registration? (I don't know)

read Graci's post, guess I need the things see listed, e.g. business bank account...

hmmmm....

And are you going to register your business name at Companies House? It will ensure that no ther British brand uses the same name as you (unless it's your own name eg. John Smith Blacksmiths). The name were using was already taken by an Irish business. We emailed them to ask if it was OK, and they were cool about it. We could have gone ahead without their blessing, but it wouldn't have been polite.

Today I was feeling lethargic and overwhelmed at the idea of being unemployed. I took an afternoon nap just to hide from the world. My husband came home and gave me enough money to buy some chocolate. I made another coffee and the chocolate gave me some energy. I checked my Facebook messages and out of the blue a friend said "I hear you're up to your ears, I'm leaving my job soon, and if there's anything you'd like me to do, let me know". So I've asked her to come over and teach me how to use spreadsheets. It was just the encouragement I need.

I forgot that as a business owner, you need ambition. I've always just worked hard and opportunities have come.

And are you going to register your business name at Companies House? It will ensure that no ther British brand uses the same name as you (unless it's your own name eg. John Smith Blacksmiths). The name were using was already taken by an Irish business. We emailed them to ask if it was OK, and they were cool about it. We could have gone ahead without their blessing, but it wouldn't have been polite.

I've heard of Companies House and the thought did cross my mind...

Small world./Even smaller UK. :thumbsup:

I pump iron but only a select few get to enjoy my sexy muscles.

Anyhoo there's not a snowballs chance in hell I'll be on the Bachelor. Yes, I did apply. I sent in my photos, a videotape as well as an application via US postal, but I don't think they are interested in someone working at a gas station.

I know there will be good news ahead. I have no doubt I will find my special someone eventually, and she will be a gorgeous, intelligent, quirky, and confident young lady.

I pump iron but only a select few get to enjoy my sexy muscles.

Anyhoo there's not a snowballs chance in hell I'll be on the Bachelor. Yes, I did apply. I sent in my photos, a videotape as well as an application via US postal, but I don't think they are interested in someone working at a gas station.

I know there will be good news ahead. I have no doubt I will find my special someone eventually, and he will be a gorgeous, intelligent, quirky, and confident young poo pusher

Fixed :D Edited by Len B'stard
  • Like 1