The Girls Behind Guns N’ Roses (Uproxx Part 3)

"It seemed like the most happening thing to do. It was the most dangerous thing in Hollywood at the time. Everybody was completely bent on whooping ass on The Strip. So of course we wanted them to win. I used to get phone calls from the road all the time. Izzy'd be like 'We're out of gas, can you get us bus fare back, can you get us this, we lost the van...'. And just nobody would give in, we were just too pissed off to give in. I'm sort of one of those girls that likes to stir the pot. When Axl would do it, I could be like... It's only when I was actually trying to write. It was a couple friends, you know, both of us just sitting there, writing. You guys are going to be studying this one day."

"It seemed like the most happening thing to do. It was the most dangerous thing in Hollywood at the time. Everybody was completely bent on whooping ass on The Strip. So of course we wanted them to win. I used to get phone calls from the road all the time. Izzy'd be like 'We're out of gas, can you get us bus fare back, can you get us this, we lost the van...'. And just nobody would give in, we were just too pissed off to give in. I'm sort of one of those girls that likes to stir the pot. When Axl would do it, I could be like... It's only when I was actually trying to write. It was a couple friends, you know, both of us just sitting there, writing. You guys are going to be studying this one day."

Thank you very much TheSeeker.

I apreciate your quickly answer.

:lol::headbang:

GNR put out a lot of really great music and there is nothing that anyone here can do to make them put out more. There are so many things that got in the way of more music coming out and that is why there is only what we have. Maybe someday more will come but like I said there is no point being a dick about it. Noone here would even be here if they didn't love the work that Axl helped create. Don't think Axl doesn't care about the fans, he does its just that things just got so complicated somewhere along the way. All you should really do is celebrate the music that you already have and hope that one day more will come. However is just plane rude to mock someone that you know has helped make your choice of music so much better. This goes for not just Axl but for the Slash hatters too.

True for the old band, not for Axl's new guns. I am sorry but one album in fifteen + years is beyond comical.

I was always a bit embarrassed by ''the dangerous'' tagline. To me, Guns were not dangerous in the slightest. All they did was take a lot of booze and drugs and had a front man who behaved like a wanker. They just continued the decadent lifestyle of The Stones and Aerosmith - and to be honest, when you hear about Slash peeing his pants you realise they could not handle their drugs and ale either, not like seasoned pros such as Richards or Moon. Here is dangerous for you: Lennon, Sex Pistols and even Elvis (for his era). Lennon was so dangerous the FBI had tabs on him and tailed him. The Pistols were seen as a genuine threat to the British establishment. Elvis sexualised middle America with his gyrations.

I just watched the video ... it take us back in time and make us dream a bit ... really nice.

These videos plus Duff's recent words plus Slash's recent words ... makes us wonder ... but then we have Axl talking about boxing and we have to wake up ... life's a bitch :lol:

These girls have aged better than Axl.

Well, Pamela and Adriana look pretty good. Barbi looks rough though. She also looks like she is under the influence of some pretty strong drugs.

I was always a bit embarrassed by ''the dangerous'' tagline. To me, Guns were not dangerous in the slightest. All they did was take a lot of booze and drugs and had a front man who behaved like a wanker. They just continued the decadent lifestyle of The Stones and Aerosmith - and to be honest, when you hear about Slash peeing his pants you realise they could not handle their drugs and ale either, not like seasoned pros such as Richards or Moon. Here is dangerous for you: Lennon, Sex Pistols and even Elvis (for his era). Lennon was so dangerous the FBI had tabs on him and tailed him. The Pistols were seen as a genuine threat to the British establishment. Elvis sexualised middle America with his gyrations.

http://youtu.be/pqHZQq2D6eE

I think it's stuff like this that gave them the tag line. Every city they went to turned into a mess waiting for their arrival.

So what?

Running the risk of sounding like Groghan but do you not think its sad that we have only five albums of original Axl material? When a Stones fan reaches to his collection he has many albums to choose from. When the Stones were thirty years into their career, they were on their 17th album. I mean I am a fan of the 80s era of Guns but even I have almost out-played Appetite: there are only so many times you can listen to the same stuff. Axl is meant to be an preeminent rock entertainer yet his discography is minuscule in comparison to his opposite numbers.

I guess that's what I'm saying, it's not in comparison to Zepp or Nirvana.

Do I think it's sad? I feel like in 91 they put out 4 records with UYI. That distorts things. I think it's sad they split and probably should put out an new record in 98 if they didn't, but it wasn't going to be the cake walk.

But once they split Axl getting something out by 2000 is hopeful. After the first 5/6 records worth of material it's time to do something like Physical. It's a little more ambitious.

They could have just put out a 10 track cd in 2000 with a couple of covers added. Then another in 2004. Then another in 2008. How good they would be I don't know. I don't know if that material would really satisfy the Guns fans. If you like CD then maybe.

I like the later day Megadeth records. I think if they hadn't split judging by the solo work of Izzy and Slash Guns could have had like a Stones career. I'm sad about that.

But does a band need more material than Zepp to exist? Obviously not. Especially with the quality of GNR songs.

It's like two types of career. Lots of rock n roll albums or a few big rock records.

Edited by wasted
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

So what?

Running the risk of sounding like Groghan but do you not think its sad that we have only five albums of original Axl material? When a Stones fan reaches to his collection he has many albums to choose from. When the Stones were thirty years into their career, they were on their 17th album. I mean I am a fan of the 80s era of Guns but even I have almost out-played Appetite: there are only so many times you can listen to the same stuff. Axl is meant to be an preeminent rock entertainer yet his discography is minuscule in comparison to his opposite numbers.

There's a whole lot of rubbish in the later Stones years though. Likewise with AC/DC and plenty of other bands that have stuck around too long rehashing the same old stuff.

I'm not sure how rubbish it is, but it kind of didn't have that much impact. I like Undercover and Black and Blue but not sure how many songs really impacted.

I guess CD is like a Back in Black or Pump type album in terms of importance. There's the early classic stuff then one record which really sticks out.

After that can't think of anyone bringing an album that really matters. Aerosmith had those commercial singles. Maybe some kind of back to basics album like Death Magnetic. Both seem like things GNR wouldn't do.

People say Axl is lazy, he might just be smart.

It's just so frustrating to have a whole year go by without a word from anyone as to what is happening next. Are we getting an album or song, are we getting more touring? Then you see other members of the band in other bands booking up dates so you know they won't be touring unless Axl does a tour as a solo artist, surely that would mean new songs which we've not had any word of for promotion purposes.

The Dead Daisies are touring with Kiss late this year so I can't see any concerts happening this year at all as DJ is also busy.

I'd say Axl is the main attraction of the band, correct me if I'm wrong. So he gets the blame for the silence, what have TB been doing over the last year besides having 2 babies? As a management team they need to be working on something surely, yet they've given no hint of what is to come either.

Someone please plan something before the others book up next year as well. TB can't be making money when there's no touring or no music.

So what?

There's a whole lot of rubbish in the later Stones years though. Likewise with AC/DC and plenty of other bands that have stuck around too long rehashing the same old stuff.

As late as 1978 The Rolling Stones were still putting out quality albums (i.e. Some Girls). That is approximately fifteen years into their career as a signed act. Fifteen years into his career, which would be around 2000, Axl had not released a record in nine years! Further, Chinese Democracy does not exactly validate the 'Axl approach' either, that is of releasing one album every twenty plus years. If Axl's methods produces albums as flawed as Democracy, perhaps the approach of indifferent releases at regular intervals is superior. Albums like Voodoo Lounge, Babylon, Black Ice, Rock or Bust, etc. might have flaws but they are much better than Chinese Democracy. Black Ice also sold a lot better. Heck, even The Stones at their very worst, during the 1980s Jagger-Richards feud, still produced a few half way decent singles such as 'Harlem Shuffle' and 'Waiting for a Friend'.

They put out Spag Inc in 94 and Live era in 99?

The 90s is all old line up. Axl can't take the blame for all that. The 90s was full of GNR.

Maybe if they stayed together we would have got these remake albums. Just albums similar to UYI over and over. You can kind of make a bunch from Izzy and Slash solo projects bung in a CD ballad.

It seems like CD was made between 2000-2004. It seems like it was ready in 2004. But Axl didn't want to. So they put out GH.

CD for me is way better than Black Ice or Voodoo lounge which are just rehashes. But quite a few if not most would have preferred to get 3 UYI type albums by now.

You either spend the time to make a new artistic statement or you remake the same record over and over. It's up to the artist. Industry and most fans just want more of the same I think.

Edited by wasted

So what?

As late as 1978 The Rolling Stones were still putting out quality albums (i.e. Some Girls). That is approximately fifteen years into their career as a signed act. Fifteen years into his career, which would be around 2000, Axl had not released a record in nine years! Further, Chinese Democracy does not exactly validate the 'Axl approach' either, that is of releasing one album every twenty plus years. If Axl's methods produces albums as flawed as Democracy, perhaps the approach of indifferent releases at regular intervals is superior. Albums like Voodoo Lounge, Babylon, Black Ice, Rock or Bust, etc. might have flaws but they are much better than Chinese Democracy. Black Ice also sold a lot better. Heck, even The Stones at their very worst, during the 1980s Jagger-Richards feud, still produced a few half way decent singles such as 'Harlem Shuffle' and 'Waiting for a Friend'.

Where did I say anything about Chinese Democracy? I do not consider that a Guns N' Roses record. GN'R died when Izzy left.

In Axl's defense, after 93 and the UYI tours were over, the band was on life support. Axl had tried to reinvigorate the remaining members, Slash and Duff, by putting out a punk cover album that they could have fun with before starting to work on new stuff. Spaghetti? was the bands first real failure and the Grunge movement was in full swing. They needed to reinvent themselves but instead of doing that they went their seperate ways. Slash had the riffs that ended up being Snakepit and Axl wasn't in to it. Axl was into NIN and other stuff. The band was done. Axl basically had to start from scratch and being the perfectionist he is, it took forever to put CD out, but he did it, and it's a good album, not great, but really good. All of the other bands mentioned in this post that have had long lasting success all had writing partnerships throughout the years. Axl did not have any true writing partnership from 95- present. I don't blame Izzy and Slash for getting fed up with Axl and quitting, but they are the reason the band disappeared. Axl wasn't going to just put crap out because he felt pressure from the fans. I think he's proven that he won't do that. Personally, I wouldn't want anyone to do anything they didn't want to do to just try and please some fans. Guns n Roses have always done whatever they wanted to do and that's why they were great in the first place. I guess I'm just saying, Axl doesn't owe anything to anyone, it's his life and his band.

In Axl's defense, after 93 and the UYI tours were over, the band was on life support. Axl had tried to reinvigorate the remaining members, Slash and Duff, by putting out a punk cover album that they could have fun with before starting to work on new stuff. Spaghetti? was the bands first real failure and the Grunge movement was in full swing. They needed to reinvent themselves but instead of doing that they went their seperate ways. Slash had the riffs that ended up being Snakepit and Axl wasn't in to it. Axl was into NIN and other stuff. The band was done. Axl basically had to start from scratch and being the perfectionist he is, it took forever to put CD out, but he did it, and it's a good album, not great, but really good. All of the other bands mentioned in this post that have had long lasting success all had writing partnerships throughout the years. Axl did not have any true writing partnership from 95- present. I don't blame Izzy and Slash for getting fed up with Axl and quitting, but they are the reason the band disappeared. Axl wasn't going to just put crap out because he felt pressure from the fans. I think he's proven that he won't do that. Personally, I wouldn't want anyone to do anything they didn't want to do to just try and please some fans. Guns n Roses have always done whatever they wanted to do and that's why they were great in the first place. I guess I'm just saying, Axl doesn't owe anything to anyone, it's his life and his band.

Trent was probably in the loop when GNR made Chinese Democracy. Whether he helped the producers out (suggestions at the most) and they didn't tell Axl? Probably. He had his own problems with Interscope with the same people Axl was dealing with. Originally he had been harsh towards Axl because he had a bad experience opening for them but over time and shared experiences, he's said nicer things about it (but he'll do the occasional dig).

I could see Trent now working with GNR to remix a song or two but 10 years ago it would have been far fetched. Which would be cool if Robin was a part of it...

I also think Axl's held off on putting new music out because he didn't want to give it away, and I'm sure he already feels like the back catalog's been heavily discounted. The residencies, festivals and touring - it might seem like he's making all this money but he has a hell of an overhead to pay for. For him to take the year off, he probably is holed up in the studio working on the next album, or at least getting some idea of what the next album will even be. Most of the band have their own studios or can record in any studio near where they're at.