What Music Shit Are You Watching? (videos, interviews, docu's etc)

Len Cnut

• 3 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, EvanG said:

So many Canadian artists (must be a canadian channel)! Even Classified was in it - and I only watched a few minutes since Im not into either Lennon or McCartney.

I lol'd when our preeminent environmentalist, David Suzuki, clarified the spelling "You mean L-E-N-I-N?" I suppose he may have heard 'Lenin or McCarthy?' The red scare really left an impression on our hippie academics! :lol:

17 minutes ago, soon said:

So many Canadian artists (must be a canadian channel)! Even Classified was in it - and I only watched a few minutes since Im not into either Lennon or McCartney.

I lol'd when our preeminent environmentalist, David Suzuki, clarified the spelling "You mean L-E-N-I-N?" I suppose he may have heard 'Lenin or McCarthy?' The red scare really left an impression on our hippie academics! :lol:

I think one person answered ''Stalin''. But yeah, I'm actually surprised I watched all of it because it's just asking random celebrities (and I didn't even know most of them) if they prefer Lennon or McCartney and that's all there's to it.

And apparently it's Canadian! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lennon_or_McCartney

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I think one person answered ''Stalin''. But yeah, I'm actually surprised I watched all of it because it's just asking random celebrities (and I didn't even know most of them) if they prefer Lennon or McCartney and that's all there's to it.

And apparently it's Canadian! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lennon_or_McCartney

Yeah, unless celebrities are eating hot wings, I have little interest in them. But it was cool to be reminded of some of those Canadian artists. One of then is Hayden - if you dont already know him, I think youd like him.

I just noticed that the backing track on the vid is Harrisons While My Guitar Gently Weeps. Harrison is by far my fav Beatle.

• Like 1

Just now, soon said:

Yeah, unless celebrities are eating hot wings, I have little interest in them. But it was cool to be reminded of some of those Canadian artists. One of then is Hayden - if you dont already know him, I think youd like him.

I just noticed that the backing track on the vid is Harrisons While My Guitar Gently Weeps. Harrison is by far my fav Beatle.

Oh yeah, I don't care at all about celebrities, but it's sorta interesting to me who most people would pick, whether they're famous or not is irrelevant. Don't know why they used a Harrison tune in the background, maybe on purpose? Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check him out.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, EvanG said:

They're indivisible if you ask me, I'd never pick one, fact is their best work was together.  I feel like I'm shit-stirring between two brothers by making a choice either way on that one, they are one half of, in my opinion, the greatest band that ever walked the earth.  They might not have been musicians with a capital M, they might not've been as adept as any number of others, they might not have been as tight as something like the James Brown band or Cream but what is difficult to deny that they were a hotbed of creativity the likes of which the world has never seen, just songwriting/hit-making machines.  And thats without mentioning their effect on fashion, culture etc

20 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

They're indivisible if you ask me, I'd never pick one, fact is their best work was together.  I feel like I'm shit-stirring between two brothers by making a choice either way on that one, they are one half of, in my opinion, the greatest band that ever walked the earth.  They might not have been musicians with a capital M, they might not've been as adept as any number of others, they might not have been as tight as something like the James Brown band or Cream but what is difficult to deny that they were a hotbed of creativity the likes of which the world has never seen, just songwriting/hit-making machines.  And thats without mentioning their effect on fashion, culture etc

It would be tough for me to choose because in my opinion McCartney probably wrote the most good songs, especially at the end, but some of my all-time favourite Beatles' songs were written by Lennon. It's subjective and whatever you prefer... McCartney was more about catchy melodies, so if that's important to you in music, I can imagine someone choosing him, he was probably also the better musician. But of course you're right about how their best work was created together and that is what made them so good.

8 minutes ago, EvanG said:

It would be tough for me to choose because in my opinion McCartney probably wrote the most good songs, especially at the end, but some of my all-time favourite Beatles' songs were written by Lennon. It's subjective and whatever you prefer... McCartney was more about catchy melodies, so if that's important to you in music, I can imagine someone choosing him, he was probably also the better musician. But of course you're right about how their best work was created together and that is what made them so good.

I agree with everything you say about McCartney.  In fact I'd go further that the old thing of Paul being the twee melodist and John being the wild and woolly artsy type is not entirely accurate either.  Paul was the one who got the tape loops for example, I believe it was on tommorow never knows, having got the idea from living near and meeting Brion Gysion and William S Burroughs who pioneered the cut up technique in art and literature and cinema.  When John moved out to Surrey Paul stayed in London and immersed himself in the local art scene and brought a lot of those kinds of ideas into The Beatles.  And by the same token Lennon was an absolute craftsman when he wanted to be, musically, some beautiful melodic stuff by him, Norwegian Wood, Hide Your Love Away, umpteen others. 

So yeah, I dunno, I think they both had a lot of stuff that the other gets credit for, the truth is always a little mucky, these clear definition of John the artist and Paul the trad' melodist are kinda lazy (not on your part, I just mean these generally accepted notions).

6 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

So yeah, I dunno, I think they both had a lot of stuff that the other gets credit for, the truth is always a little mucky, these clear definition of John the artist and Paul the trad' melodist are kinda lazy (not on your part, I just mean these generally accepted notions).

And McCartney had a bit of a reputation of merely writing sentimental, poppy love songs, also because Lennon criticized him for that later on, which of course McCartney reacted to by writing Silly Love Songs, but that isn't entirely true either.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A short compilation of the Soul Train dancers. It used to air on Saturday's, where I lived, around noon-ish. Such a great escape from the constant barrage of country and western music I had to endure to from my parents. Such a great way, as a white kid, to get introduced to and have a everlasting love of funk and R&B.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...