Is the GNR reunion big enough for Superbowl?

I think they are a band that have one of the most fitting sets for the limited time: a WTTJ-SCOM-PC medley.

Sure but being reunited after 20 years for a 15 minute family friendly show? That's not even the new band's style.

Dealing with Axl and the NFL would be like negotiations between a rock and a brick wall. The NFL feels they are doing artist a favor by letting them play at halftime.

It would be awesome to see the stadium go black and then hear Axl scream "Do You know where you are?" Then the intro kicking in. The fireworks going off when the whistle blows in PC...It would be great to see.

I can't imagine a super bowl stage that would suit them though. I imagine just a big round disc spinning in the middle of the field with Axl running around as lights are strobing. Haha who knows what they would come up with.

It's a cool fantasy but I just don't see it happening. The NFL would be naive to think they could get a reunited Guns N Roses to do what they say.

• Like 1

The NFL feels they are doing artist a favor by letting them play at halftime.

this.. they're gonna start charging bands to play the half time show

Well, they would make money. Playing the Superbowl gives an artist an insane amount of visibility, enough for them to be willing to pay to be in it, in my opinion.

And other "regular" rock bands have played the Superbowl before, it wouldn't be so hard to pull off a stage that suited GNR.

If NFL agreed to have an extended halftime so that they could play a longer set, I think they should add YCBM and pieces of NR, LALD and KOHD - maybe intro, verse, chorus. Can you imagine the pyrotechnics during LALD or the chant during Heaven's Door? Shit would be great.

Edited by ManetsBR

Only if the Super Bowl was where the FIRST reunion show was.

But if they reunite and tour for six months before hand - then probably not.

Outside the GnR fan base, most rock fans are over Axl. Forum diehards praise Axl's behavior and stance against Slash and the RnR HOF - but the normal rock fan is a bit more logical and thinks it all is dumb and that Axl has wasted toooo much talent (his own and GnR).

The NFL feels they are doing artist a favor by letting them play at halftime.

this.. they're gonna start charging bands to play the half time show

Well, they would make money. Playing the Superbowl gives an artist an insane amount of visibility, enough for them to be willing to pay to be in it, in my opinion.

And other "regular" rock bands have played the Superbowl before, it wouldn't be so hard to pull off a stage that suited GNR.

If NFL agreed to have an extended halftime so that they could play a longer set, I think they should add YCBM and pieces of NR, LALD and KOHD - maybe intro, verse, chorus. Can you imagine the pyrotechnics during LALD or the chant during Heaven's Door? Shit would be great.

Lol. I'm sure the NFL would alter their biggest game of the year so GnR could play a longer set.

It wouldn't have been surprising if Van Halen had played halftime during the year of their reunion with David Lee Roth. i think the GnR reunion would be about that big.

Slash's constant promotion has made him well-known even to non GnR fans. Sweet Child has become one of those "oldies" karaoke songs drunk girls like to scream along with like Don't Stop Believing, Pour Some Sugar On Me or Living On A Prayer. I think they're safe enough and have a wide enough appeal to do it.

They missed the boat. I think the 'brand' of GnR has been significantly devalued and diluted over the last 15 years or so. Side project success and failure, GNR still touring with alternate players, hall of fame missed opportunity, not to mention Slash showing up at the SB with Black Eyed Peas with a diamonte version of his top hat butchering SCOM.

I know there is often talk about how big a reunion could be, both in terms of how much press it generates and in terms of venue size, but I genuinelly don't think it would be as big as people here think. The press make it feel like a reunion would be bigger because they love the Axl/Slash hate fest. Its easy journalism.

If GNR had been totally quiet, no touring, no side projects etc, then the demand would probably have been there. But there are countless opportunities to see various GNR alumni play the hits, including GNR themselves, which is why I don't think they would really merit a SB appearance.

Having said all that, I didnt think the Black Eyed Peas or Bruno Mars were big enough, so what do I know.

• Like 1

I think Axl could have gotten the super bowl if Chinese had been somewhat successful and he had shown a willingness to be on time.

The NFL had GNR in mind when Slash played Sweet Child during the Black Eye Peas set. So they would love to have em but again it would have to be at their rules.