Hollywood takes a huge dump on another classic movie

Bigelow is a good director, she's done other good movies. Strange Days and even Near Dark is kind of cool movie.

If Bigelow is directing the remake or whatever maybe Id go see it. But it seems like they just use the title to bring in a certain market. Then make some cheap action movie with CGI with no actors or script. It's just about making money.

• Like 1

You know things are shit when Avengers 2 breaks the box office.

Good lord someone take these fuckheads out of Los Angeles.

How dare they put out movies that millions of people voluntarily pay money to go see.

The great things about movies is if you think one looks bad then you can choose to not go see it. Spend your money on an art film.

the original isn't exactly a milestone motion picture, but it has a cult following and it IS well-directed by kathryn bigelow (she was very much under the influence of her husband, james cameron, and she would go on to win an oscar for the hurt locker years later). she knows how to frame action sequence.

because scenes like the skydiving one were all practical effects, there's a sense of tangibility and wonder that's inherently lacking in all the CGI and digital manipulation these days. i liked furious 7 but there's nothing breathtaking about those cars falling out of the plane because you know it's all computer effects.

point break was a solid action film with charismatic leads (yeah, keanu's corny, but that's part of his charm); the new film looks dull, cheesy and the leads are as stiff as keanu but apparently without any of the charm. the guy playing his character looks like he belongs in a straight-to-DVD film alongside taylor lautner or kellan lutz.

• Like 1

They just use the title to bring a certain market, then make cheap CGI action move with no actors or script. It's kind of like a heist in and out. Get that money.

You hear the title Point Break and that sets off a nostalgia sensor in your brain that is impossible to resist.

The other thing is the movie is made for the post-film generation. Movies for video gamers. The build up to movie is normally about how they made the action, the technology element. The wow factor on the screen severely out weighs any originality in character or plot. That in the eyes of the studio has been solved, they know what sells. Escalation of Action is a cure all.

So it's a different movie experience and its hard to pick the right one.

But to go see this Point Break and expect something like the orginal? No I can't do that.

I won't be Total Recall'd again.

• Like 1

Point Break was an enjoyable film, but I wouldn't call it a classic. That's basically like saying every above decent 90's flick is a classic, anyone consider Cliffhanger a classic?

I don't get the point of a remake though that I'm sure will be nothing like the original. I'm sure they could have made a film with the same concept and just gave it another name.

There was a movie like that. It came out in 2001. It was called The Fast and the Furious

• Like 1

Point Break shits all over The Fast and the Furious though.

True, but the first Fast film is basically just a spiritual remake of Point Break. They just swapped surf boards with cars

I can see how it might look like that but Point Break had a strong emphasis on the concept of 'the endless summer'

That kind of endless freedom. The guys didn't rob banks for any reason other than to finance their surfing all summer long.

I haven't watched The Fast and the Furious for ages but I don't recall that philosophy being an element to the movie.

True, but the first Fast film is basically just a spiritual remake of Point Break. They just swapped surf boards with cars

I can see how it might look like that but Point Break had a strong emphasis on the concept of 'the endless summer'

That kind of endless freedom. The guys didn't rob banks for any reason other than to finance their surfing all summer long.

I haven't watched The Fast and the Furious for ages but I don't recall that philosophy being an element to the movie.

Yeah you're right.

And going by this new trailer that concept also seems to be missing from this new incarnation and that may pose a problem for the film (not that I was expecting it to be good in the first place lol)

They race to fuel Vin Diesels need for speed and vests. And to keep Michelle Rodriguez out of jail.

I agree, but The Fast and the Furious does copy the template of Point Break quite closely, Walker even sounds a lot like Reeves!

They race to fuel Vin Diesels need for speed and vests. And to keep Michelle Rodriguez out of jail.

Yeah they were robbing trucks to fund their racing cars, no way they could afford all that NOS from the takings of that bar they owned

Loved the original! I don't get the remake. Its just dumb n' unnecessary. You had a great team in swayze and Reeves! Then you had the hard as nails "fuck the boss" detective Gary busey! N then you had one half(the good half) of RHCP. But the whole thing was a cheesy and extremely fun action movie. The new one seems like its just another wanna be. Just a thrill ride with the same title. Plus, this new Johnny Utah, looks kinda like heath ledger.