Messages not being on Libertad - what the hell were they thinking?

Towelie

Libertad is a patchy album at best. Messages stands head and shoulders above every single song on that album and I would go so far as to rank it as one of Slash's best post-GNR tracks... so whose bright idea was it to relegate it to a bonus track? Seriously, how on earth does dross like Just Sixteen and Mary Mary make the cut or the shameless Fall To Pieces rip-off that was Gravedancer but Messages is not deemed good enough for inclusion?

Someone was smoking crack that day I tell ya.

Maybe because the guitar was a blatant ripoff of Interstate Love Song?

EDIT: I feel the need to say that Messages and Loving the Alien are my favorite VR songs...and really the only two I listen to.

Edited by Amish

Maybe because the guitar was a blatant ripoff of Interstate Love Song?

Wow, I never heard that until now. Had to Youtube it to hear what you meant but that intro is definitely a rip-off, although Slash makes it better.

I gotta say, I kinda miss Velvet Revolver. Okay, the second album wasn't really up to par, but overall I think they were a far more exciting band than Slash and Myles band.

Libertad was a dissappointment. Especially when Contraband was such a strong record. But Messages is a great song. I don't know what they were thinking when they left it out.

And yes, Velvet Revolver was much more exciting than Slash and Myles. But then again, they obviously weren't meant to last.

I really liked Libertad, first American rock album I've liked in many many years too. Less of the metal end of things and more groove and polish and focus on tightly written pop songs.

Agreed. I hated Contraband and liked Libertad. For some reason however you and I are in the minority!

• Like 1

I really liked Libertad, first American rock album I've liked in many many years too. Less of the metal end of things and more groove and polish and focus on tightly written pop songs.

Agreed. I hated Contraband and liked Libertad. For some reason however you and I are in the minority!

Because a great portion of GnR fans lean more to the Metal end of things and they're not the most reasonable chappies at the best of times when being presented with some level of deviation from their prescribed doctrine of what albums SHOULD sound like. I like their metal leaning least and their groove-heavy, freewheelin' ballsy, Stonesesque Americana aspect more than anything else, gave them range and depth and they came across cool doing it, instead of like they're trying too hard.

Even I Prefer Libertad over Contraband

Contraband has that modern rock, dare I say, 'numetal', production which I loathe. Chinese Democracy also has bits of that, on Shackler's Revenge and Scraped. The best way I can describe it is, that it is an awful cluttered clinical sound with faux anger and no rock n' roll or emotion.

Contraband has that modern rock, dare I say, 'numetal', production which I loathe. Chinese Democracy also has bits of that, on Shackler's Revenge and Scraped. The best way I can describe it is, that it is an awful cluttered clinical sound with faux anger and no rock n' roll or emotion.

The cartoon growls, that awful tonal chainsaw sound that sounds like it's being played by robots, yeah, i know what you mean. Libertad just sounded more like a rock n roll album, i was really pleasantly suprised. Even the cover was quite nifty, looks like it was designed to be iconic, its off a coin isn't it? A lot of bands do that, take a recognisable symbol and subvert it so you kinda like...trade off the original things iconography, wise little idea that, The Ramones did it with that fuckin' American symbol thing with the eagle and all that. Sticks in your head. I could listen to Libertad today and enjoy it. Can't say the same about Chi Dem. Or Contraband on any level, didn't really like that at all.

Always thought The Last Fight was their best song on the album. But yeah, not a whole lot else on the album that makes me want to listen to it again. First time I heard Messages was on Guitar Hero. Had they done it all over again they should have released The Last Fight as the first single then followed it up with Messages.

• Like 1

Always thought The Last Fight was their best song on the album. But yeah, not a whole lot else on the album that makes me want to listen to again. First time I heard Messages was on Guitar Hero. Had they done it all over again they should have released The Last Fight as the first single then followed it up with Messages.

Always thought The Last Fight was their best song on the album. But yeah, not a whole lot else on the album that makes me want to listen to again. First time I heard Messages was on Guitar Hero. Had they done it all over again they should have released The Last Fight as the first single then followed it up with Messages.

The Last Fight is a great song. Libertad had some really good moments. Still, they're idiots for leaving Messages off

Because a great portion of GnR fans lean more to the Metal end of things and they're not the most reasonable chappies at the best of times when being presented with some level of deviation from their prescribed doctrine of what albums SHOULD sound like. I like their metal leaning least and their groove-heavy, freewheelin' ballsy, Stonesesque Americana aspect more than anything else, gave them range and depth and they came across cool doing it, instead of like they're trying too hard.

Well, I for my part can say that I don't like Libertad that much, but it's got nothing to do with metal or not metal. It just happened that I dislike most of the songs. I do like Let It Roll and Gravedancer and even some more songs aren't that bad but still I consider it a disappointment.

Whereas Contraband, though I didn't like it when it's release, now I consider it a great album. The numetal songs on it like Headspace are garbage. Favorite tracks from CB are

Sucker Train Blues

Slither

Fall To Pieces

Set Me Free

Loving The Alien

And probably the most

You Got No Right and Dirty Little Thing

Fuck you Lenny, fuck you right up the jacksy!

;)

I get what you're saying about the Americana vibe and the more groove-heavy sound of the album, it's just the songs aren't there for the most part. The two best songs on Libertad were the country-esque hidden track (Don't Drop That Dime) and the bonus track Messages. Many of the songs that make up the main bulk of the album venture dangerously close to Busted/McFly-esque pop-rock dirge.

Whilst Contraband may sound very 'of-it's-time', songs like You Got No Right, Superhuman, Slither, Loving The Alien and Fall To Pieces are undoubtedly of a higher calibre in terms of song-writing. But it stands to reason, these were songs that Slash had been dicking around with since before the breakup of original GNR (wasn't the main guitar motif in FTP played at some GNR rehearsal in the early 90s?). So it's pretty clear they used up the bulk of their quality material on the first album and struggled to match it when it came time to writing a follow-up.

Edited by Towelie

Fuck you Lenny, fuck you right up the jacksy!

Oh stay on my arm, you little charmer :lol:

• Like 1

For me, Libertad has much better songs than Contraband. The best song on the latter was You Got Know Right. Slither was alright, but largely a retread of Slash's Paradise City thing. Fall to Pieces was nice but a derivative of Don't Cry. Set Me Free and Do It For the Kids were average. The rest consists of stinky numetal unlistenable songs. By contrast, Slash's fretwork on American Man is hands down, his best contribution to Velvet Revolver bar none. I liked his wah work on Pills, Demons also. Songs like She's Mine and Mary Mary are much more fun than anything on the debut.

• Like 1

For me, Libertad has much better songs than Contraband. The best song on the latter was You Got Know Right. Slither was alright, but largely a retread of Slash's Paradise City thing. Fall to Pieces was nice but a derivative of Don't Cry. Set Me Free and Do It For the Kids were average. The rest consists of stinky numetal unlistenable songs. By contrast, Slash's fretwork on American Man is hands down, his best contribution to Velvet Revolver bar none. I liked his wah work on Pills, Demons also. Songs like She's Mine and Mary Mary are much more fun than anything on the debut.

Precisely this!