Is it time to re-evaluate the sales total for CD?

In the latest article about GnR, the story quotes official US sales totals as being 750,000 albums sold for CD. The album went platinum in the States based on units purchased by Best Buy. But less than a million were actually sold to customers - even including the stretch where they were being sold for $1.99 each.

With that new sales total out there, it sure makes some of the sales predictions on here seem a little ridiculous. Some guy actually said CD sold 7 million copies? LMAO.

I was always in the 3-4 million camp. But that was assuming that CD had sold in the 1.5 million range in the US.

If it's only sold 750,000 in the US, then realistically, overall sales world wide would be in the 1.5 to 2 million range.

NOT that sales totals equate to how good an album is.

CD is still one of my 10 favorite albums of all time.

But I'm a fan of fact and logic rather than hyperbole and fanboyism - so we should at least get the numbers correct when talking about it.

So what's your estimate on the world wide sales totals now that we know how the album truly did in the US?

It sold well for what it was, a dated, cheesy crossover of nu metal and piano ballads with no promotion from the guy who created it. Contraband was the ultimate 2000s modern rock album made by GNR members, not CD. Contraband sold well, had videos, hit singles, etc. Axl failed with his vision. The other guys, with simple ideas and good ears for great melodies created a fucking awesome album.

• Like 4

No, it is time to transform this forum to a Monster Magnet forum

Dave Wyndorf is the only original member from that band, but he releases music constantly and playing new songs (hell, even full new albums)
I honestly think that theyare better and more interesting than this washed up vegas act

I see a lot of good posters here and they deserve a band that share new music with their fans

I would say that 3-3.5 or even 4 million (if you really want to push it without being delusional) is enough. Anything more than that is delusion. It sold very well considering the 99 cents price tag. :) Best Buy ruined themselves by making that turd exclusive, though.

I don't understand how people can say if an album is good or bad, based on it's sales.

Point to me who these people you're speaking of, are.

Yeah, I deleted my last comment, cause I realized I didn't bring nothing to the conversation. It was off topic.

According to Universal Music ChiDem had sold 2.6 million units worldwide as of February 2009.

• Like 1

I think it's realistic to say that CD sold another 250,000 in the whole of Europe after going platinum there.

That makes Europe and the US a combined sale of 2,000,000. Then you'd have to add the rest of North/South America, Africa, Asia and Oceania - not sure about those numbers. Is 1,000,000 combined for the rest of the world realistic? In that case you end up at 3,000,000 sold.

Hi,

I think Best Buy sold 750000 copies during their short tenure and CD gained platinum status a year later in the US, so 2009.

Given the album could have been promoted better, possibly, by Best Buy, and by the band not releasing singles with videos, sales figures were appropriate.

Sales?? Do you think Axl cares much? If he did he would probably have promoted it. IMO what Axl cares about is how it's received by old fans and new fans alike. I honestly think the album was a success on many fronts. It didnt sell initially but Best Buy paid up front which took the risk away for the release. Tours since have been successful. Initial reviews were "ok" but since.. CHIDEM these days gets great reviews online. Win win and big fucking win.. or bullet dodged depending how you look at it. It could easily have been a huge flop. The pressure was unbelievable. I believe Axl delivered and then some. Not that it should have ever been his job to do on his own.. pretty rough responsibility to be left with.. the legacy of GNR!!!

Pity the new band cant stay together. Time will tell what happens and probably be the new legacy of the band for future generations. Slash and Axl to reunite? I think everyone hopes so. They are incredible apart but united these two artists could potentially go some way to fulfilling their original potential. Maybe even surpass it and release great music into their old age like the late great BB King. Music changes and so do artists.

I don't understand how people can say if an album is good or bad, based on it's sales.

Yeah, I deleted my last comment, cause I realized I didn't bring nothing to the conversation. It was off topic.

Wise decision. Hats off to you, sir. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

It sold well for what it was, a dated, cheesy crossover of nu metal and piano ballads with no promotion from the guy who created it. Contraband was the ultimate 2000s modern rock album made by GNR members, not CD. Contraband sold well, had videos, hit singles, etc. Axl failed with his vision. The other guys, with simple ideas and good ears for great melodies created a fucking awesome album.

Contraband is a good album has its fair share of filler, not as much as Libertad! :lol: although I prefer CD. If Axl can better CD with the next release maybe VR can be associated with the term "One Hit Wonders". Weiland is not the only singer Slash, Duff & Sorum couldn't get along with!

I'm going to go out on a limb and say CD sold between $6-7 Million copies sold worldwide, so far!

Edited by wkuk04

But like Maynard said Contraband was a pretty popular hard rock release back in 2004/2005, that album probably brought in younger fans to discover Slash & Duff's background and possibly checking out GnR. I don't think Axl, Duff & Slash are as far apart in a business sense then maybe some people think there relationships are.

Well as everyone is giving their imaginary thoughts about how much the album sold, so well my Aprrox. value would be around 2 Million or less world wide, not more than that.

Edited by Slash787

It did receive a IFPI European Platinum Award, which is 1,000,000 units in Europe. Hard to say how much it sold beyond that, but it's below 2,000,000.

do you know when was it ?

I think this was reported in February 2009.

Just to add, the IFPI European Platinum Award is based on sales, not shipments.

According to Universal Music ChiDem had sold 2.6 million units worldwide as of February 2009.

So then it brought something?

Where's the link to this new article?

Edited by Chris 55