SHENMUE III

Amir

never thought i would see it happen.

I backed the $500 version. I don't have the money but fuck it.

This is my Chinese Democracy.

im going to pledge at least 29 dollars but i want to pledge at least 100, but i wont be able to do anything until next week.

1.6 mil

Edited by bran

So, what's the deal with these games? I had heard of the series before, never seen anything from it until last night. I looked up some Shenmue II gameplay footage, and I didn't really get it.....

Do you just follow some kid's life, and occasionally fight off bullies and complete random tasks?

So, what's the deal with these games? I had heard of the series before, never seen anything from it until last night. I looked up some Shenmue II gameplay footage, and I didn't really get it.....

Do you just follow some kid's life, and occasionally fight off bullies and complete random tasks?

It was the game that got me into video games, made me buy a Dreamcast, started a near lifelong obsession.

Your father is murdered at the beginning of the first game, and you seek his killer. Nothing unique there, but it was the level of immersion in the world: every NPC is voiced (huge deal in 1999/2000), you could buy sodas, capsule toys, play arcade games, spar in a dojo or practice in an empty parking lot, get a job as a forklift truck driver in the first game (with a race before work) and a crate carrier in the 2nd, play mahjong, fight for money, buy martial arts scrolls and learn new moves from masters... Was the biggest budget game ever on its release, will be interesting to see how/if a lower budget sequel can bring back that level of immersion. The original two are my favourite video games of all time, the second especially (more action packed than the first).

I was gonna replay the original two for like the 5th time but I'll leave that for a couple of years closer to release of III :)

• Like 1

amir pretty much nailed it, but shenmue is a game that was pretty far ahead of its time. you live, work, and exist in this world and it immerses you in it. the story is very good as well. its influence is felt in a lot of open world games and has been a big influence on the grand theft auto franchise. you walk by an arcade you can play it, you want to stop at that vending machine and grab a drink you could do it.

seems sony is helping with the funding for shenmue 3 so thats awesome.

Edited by bran

seems sony is helping with the funding for shenmue 3 so thats awesome.

What a weird time we live in, man. I was such a Sega fanboy when the Dreamcast came out, all because of Shenmue, I had such a grudge against Sony for years because I saw them as one of the contributing factors to that game and console's death.

If you'd told me in 1999 that the 2nd Shenmue would only be released in North America on the first console made by Microsoft, and that Sony would be the saviours of the 3rd, announcing it 14 years after the release of the 2nd, for the PlayStation 4 and PC in 2017...

• Like 1

Hell yes! Can't believe it. Been waiting for this for a loooooong time.

Better back it with all you can spare, man, some pretty ambitious stretch goals (there's 2 more areas planned, so I expect the stretch goals to go up to $10 million):

1e2b3203981f66161b5e321a6c8edb02_origina

Happy just to have the game but I really want it to be the best that it can be after all this time.

• Like 1

Hell yes! Can't believe it. Been waiting for this for a loooooong time.

Better back it with all you can spare, man, some pretty ambitious stretch goals (there's 2 more areas planned, so I expect the stretch goals to go up to $10 million):

1e2b3203981f66161b5e321a6c8edb02_origina

Happy just to have the game but I really want it to be the best that it can be after all this time.

Very interested to see what Suzuki has in store for the Skill Tree, that should be an awesome addition. I also hear he's trying to utilize a new and unique QTE system for this game as well.

Where did you find that 'Kickstarter'-Banner in your signature? I'm pretty sure I saw it on the kickstarter page, but can't find it anymore.

It was in the first update, along with a Twitter banner. Have you backed the Kickstarter? You should be getting emails from them with the updates.

• Like 1

I still sort of don't get it, I mean I guess I do. I don't know that I'd play it. But all of the support it's receiving is very fucking cool, it's at $3.5 million right now. I hope the developer meets his highest expectation, and the game is great - this, along with what CDPR does, is the sort of thing the gaming world needs more often in order to combat general corporate policy.

I still sort of don't get it, I mean I guess I do. I don't know that I'd play it. But all of the support it's receiving is very fucking cool, it's at $3.5 million right now. I hope the developer meets his highest expectation, and the game is great - this, along with what CDPR does, is the sort of thing the gaming world needs more often in order to combat general corporate policy.

I hope this and The Last Guardian bring back Japanese gaming. Sad to see all the negativity about Sony backing it while there's Kickstarter; Sony is taking a huge risk as is. If Shenmue III was a guaranteed success Sega would have let Yu Suzuki make it 10 years ago. 13-year-old me would be aghast to hear me say this, but thank you Sony for helping save Shenmue. Sega have been massive dicks by holding on to the IP all these years and doing nothing with it; they still own the rights to the old games, and the fact they haven't announced HD remasters of them for current-gen consoles is really holding back the Kickstarter.

The Kickstarter could be better organised, especially compared to that of Bloodstained; they announced a reddit AMA for 9:30 PST, without specifying AM or PM... And for gamers like you who are unfamiliar with the series, there's nothing on the Kickstarter page to really explain why they were so groundbreaking and beloved.

P.S. Please please please back the Kickstarter :)

Edited by Amir

I hope this and The Last Guardian bring back Japanese gaming. Sad to see all the negativity about Sony backing it while there's Kickstarter; Sony is taking a huge risk as is. If Shenmue III was a guaranteed success Sega would have let Yu Suzuki make it 10 years ago. 13-year-old me would be aghast to hear me say this, but thank you Sony for helping save Shenmue. Sega have been massive dicks by holding on to the IP all these years and doing nothing with it; they still own the rights to the old games, and the fact they haven't announced HD remasters of them for current-gen consoles is really holding back the Kickstarter.

The Kickstarter could be better organised, especially compared to that of Bloodstained; they announced a reddit AMA for 9:30 PST, without specifying AM or PM... And for gamers like you who are unfamiliar with the series, there's nothing on the Kickstarter page to really explain why they were so groundbreaking and beloved.

P.S. Please please please back the Kickstarter :)

the last guardian looks awesome. i agree when it comes to japanese gaming to me its one of the biggest casualties of the dreamcast going under. SEGA with the dreamcast was embracing that innovative, outside the box type of style that japanese games are all about they just went with it. its a shame what could have been if SEGA stayed in and dreamcast was able to have another 3 or so years.

• Like 1