SHENMUE III

Amir

Damn wish i could afford that. I think shenmue 3 will break the record for most funded video game probably by a million or a liile more

I really hope it hits the $6 million Advanced FREE Battle stretch goal, the combat was a big part of why I loved the old games. The next two combat stretch goals aren't particularly enticing ("Ragdoll Reaction", what is this, 2004? "AI Battling", what does that mean?), but I'm intrigued by the "High Ground Battle System" stretch goal. Is it some Revenge of the Sith shenanigans, what is that?

Hello Everyone!

Two new rewards have been added to the line up! Both of these rewards will bring you closer to the world of Shenmue and let you more thoroughly enjoy your Shenmue 3 experience.

13c5356f4280552cbfb516ee146cbfbe_origina

S3 WORLD TELECOM - $80 Get an international phone card (in-game item) to call Nozomi, Guizhang Chen, Ine-san, Joy, Fuku-san, or other characters from Shenmue 1 & 2. This item will unlock phone conversations and flashback scenes available only to Kickstarter Backers. Keep your friends close with S3 World Telecom. $60 Reward included.

*All higher Rewards with have the S3 WORLD TELECOM Reward included.

5fb44790af802d5a2984fed692dd6c99_origina

SHENMUE PATRON - $800 In the oriental tradition of marking a pilgrimage to a temple by affixing one's name to the building, your name will appear on a Choubu temple in Chinese characters. The Chinese characters for your name will be approved by Yu Suzuki himself. Find your name tag on the temple and receive a special Technique Scroll! + Receive a PDF of your name in Chinese characters as it will appear in the game. Be part of the culture that is the world of Shenmue. $500 Reward included.

How much game can you make for $6 million these days? Didn't GTA 5 cost over $250 million?

Well... it depends what are your goals and what type of game you're making.

I think the first Shenmue was like 50 million $. With today's technology I think it's possible to make a game like Shenmue, with hd graphics with the same art direction in a fraction of the cost. He said 10 million $ will allow him to make a true open world Shenmue game which is far more ambitious then Shenmue 1.

Edited by Rovim

How much game can you make for $6 million these days? Didn't GTA 5 cost over $250 million?

They've secured some form of external backing, I'm guessing they've probably got around $30 million secured so the final budget should be about $50 million, and Sony is providing the marketing.

Shenmue had a budget of $47 million, but that was split between essentially 3 games: Shenmue for the Saturn (almost completed but never released) and Shenmue and Shenmue II for the Dreamcast. That'd be $70 million today, but they also made their own engine for those games; Shenmue III will be using Unreal Engine 4.

I pledged $100. I wanted that trial version/automatic digital version when it's released plus my name in the credits.

Let's go, Sukuzi! :shades:

The $100 reward also includes the $80 reward that was just announced, so you can call Nozomi, too ;)

• Like 1

I pledged $100. I wanted that trial version/automatic digital version when it's released plus my name in the credits.

The $100 reward also includes the $80 reward that was just announced, so you can call Nozomi, too ;)

Yeah dude I was happy when I heard about that, also a few others like Fuku-San and Ine-San. Pretty damn cool. :)

• Like 1

Yeah dude I was happy when I heard about that, also a few others like Fuku-San and Ine-San. Pretty damn cool. :)

Poor Fuku-san, did you see this response from Yu Suzuki's Twitter Q&A?

:lol:

Thanks, Amir. Since you're a crazy fan of the game. Can you please tell me if there's a way I can play the first two games without having to find a Dreamcast console?

You can emulate them on PC, a couple of good Dreamcast emulators for PC are DEmul and NullDC. There's also Reicast for Android though you need a pretty powerful Android device. There'll be ROMs for the games on sites like the IsoZone. I recommend downloading a PAL ROM of each game, as you can carry over the save from PAL Shenmue I to PAL Shenmue II. The official PAL release of Shenmue I was an English dub while the the official PAL release of Shenmue II was a Japanese dub with English subtitles. There's a fanmade patched version of PAL Shenmue I called Shenmue Undub which is Japanese dub with English subs, supposed to work pretty well, but I'd prob stick with the normal PAL version for first playthrough.

If you can get a Dreamcast, though, go for it! ;)

NT, download a Dreamcast EMU(DCEmu is my preference) and play the first two. I actually play the first one from time to time still on my emulator :lol: Should have never sold my Dreamcast.

Amir, i'm glad there's another Shenmue fanatic around here man!

Thanks, guys. I'm downloading all the files right now. I used to have Dreamcast but sold it years ago.

Thanks, guys. I'm downloading all the files right now. I used to have Dreamcast but sold it years ago.

What games did you have for it? Was Shenmue not a big thing where you were? I still play Virtua Tennis 2, Crazy Taxi, Samba de Amigo, and a bunch of other Dreamcast games to this day.

Dreamcast was such a great console it didnt deserve what happened to it

Definitely my favourite console of all time, but if it had survived it'd have probably seen the introduction and/or popularisation of features derided by gamers today. Samba de Amigo v.2000 had disc-locked songs (luckily I got a VMU a few years ago to unlock them), and Sega Europe made a deal with Pace Micro to make a set-top box version of the Dreamcast where you downloaded games to a hard disc and could stream other media:

http://imgur.com/a/TCCzu

https://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?49761-Dreamcast-Pace-Prototype

I didn't even know that many people had a Dreamcast.

First console I ever had, but almost none of my mates in Abu Dhabi had one. I think it was most popular in US. Weirdly, while neither the Mega Drive or Dreamcast did anywhere near as well in Japan as they did in Europe and US, the Saturn ended up being Sega's most successful console there.

First console I ever had, but almost none of my mates in Abu Dhabi had one. I think it was most popular in US. Weirdly, while neither the Mega Drive or Dreamcast did anywhere near as well in Japan as they did in Europe and US, the Saturn ended up being Sega's most successful console there.

My first console was an Atari VCS 2600. :(

sys_Atari2600JrB.jpg

Edited by Dazey

My first console was an Atari VCS 2600. :(

sys_Atari2600JrB.jpg

Christ you're old. My first console was the Mega Drive II if I recall, though I had a Gameboy around the same time. The next thing we got was a Playstation.

I saw a couple of the wooden Atari 2600s in Iran in the '90s, but even the Islamic Republic had mostly moved onto Mega Drives by then :lol:

PlayStations were huge in the Middle East because of ease of piracy. Even in countries in the region where people had money like the UAE almost no one had a single legitimate game for their PlayStation, the pirate games were only Dhs10 (about £1.50).

Funny how in the West they consider piracy as a contributing factor to Dreamcast's downfall, whereas in the UAE a lot of my mates were put off by the fact that pirate games weren't available for the console at launch (wasn't until mid-2000 I think, and they were Dhs15 as opposed to Dhs10 for PlayStation).

• Like 2

The Dreamcast got scraped way too fast. It has always been one of my favorite consoles. I can't think of many bad games on it, and it also had unique games that weren't found on other consoles. Their exclusive 2K sports games set a lot of new standards, and has carried all the way until now. A shame the 2K football series had to be scraped or it would be wiping Madden out. I loved the sports games on the Dreamcast and a lot of exclusive RPG's. It was a great system.

• Like 2

What games did you have for it? Was Shenmue not a big thing where you were? I still play Virtua Tennis 2, Crazy Taxi, Samba de Amigo, and a bunch of other Dreamcast games to this day.

Nope, no one has ever heard of it. At least, none of my school friends. House of the Dead 1 and 2 were big over here. Sonic, also. I can't remember the other ones.

The game is great, by the way. I started playing it today. :D

• Like 1

Nope, no one has ever heard of it. At least, none of my school friends. House of the Dead 1 and 2, were big over here. Sonic, also. I can't remember the other ones.

The game is great, by the way. I started playing it today. :D

I started playing the first one again last night as well for first time since 2007. So many memories... Just spent hours practicing martial arts moves in parks and parking lot.

Shenmue I has a nice small-town feel to it, but Shenmue II is where the world and story gets epic in scope and the action on the 3rd disc especially of Shenmue II is fantastic.

What emulator did you go for in the end? What controller are you playing with?

The Dreamcast got scraped way too fast. It has always been one of my favorite consoles. I can't think of many bad games on it, and it also had unique games that weren't found on other consoles. Their exclusive 2K sports games set a lot of new standards, and has carried all the way until now. A shame the 2K football series had to be scraped or it would be wiping Madden out. I loved the sports games on the Dreamcast and a lot of exclusive RPG's. It was a great system.

the 2k series kicked the shit out of madden but madden had EA cash and basically just payed their way to killing any real competition. to me nfl 2k5 is still the best NFL game of all time. the dreamcast was the last system that really allowed for all kinds of ideas and accepted what would be perceived as "outside the box" type of games. it also had everything for everyone. great sports titles, fighting games, awesome rpgs(skies of arcadia) all in 3 short years.