About Axl being late: what is the real problem for you?

Axl being late and your main concern with him  

82 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I understand that it comes with the territory with gnr that they will more than likely hit the stage late, but if he rocked up 3hrs late my fandom would be seriously challenged. I love GnR, but a 3hr wait would destroy the gig for me, no matter what the performance was like. And, I really don't think we should be willing to take a 3hr wait no matter how well Axl looks or sounds... that's just plain crazy!

I would be willing to accept the continuation of the 10:30 starts (ticketmaster should advertise it for that time, or open the doors later etc.) with a Axl that gives us his all - that's mostly a solid vocal performance and him looking like he isn't bored out of his mind.

I believe that people don't mind a gig ending at 2am, they just want to know before they get to the gig that, that's the time it'll finished. I don't blame people for getting pissed off, getting drunk and throwing stuff etc. it's reasonable when you've waited hours listening to shit music from the PA and your ticket has advertised showtimes that have well and truly passed...

Anyway, this is old news, hasn't he been much better with coming on time since 2013? haven't seen them since 2012 and he was just under an hour late then (10:30).

Personally I don't care if he's late. I went to a couple of concerts and knowing his tendencies I just didn't plan to go to the venue until 11ish. It was fine for me because I liked to pre-drink and make a night of it all, but I understand why it might be annoying to people who just want to go see a concert and aren't planning to make a night of it.

But even though I'm fine with it, there is a certain amount of egotism there. People are paying money to go to a concert, they're making plans, they have to work the next day, and he goes on late because that's what he feels like doing. I get that his body clock is probably set for him to want to perform late but it does come off as egotistical to expect thousands of people to sit around and wait for you to go on when you feel like going on.

At the shows I went to there were people leaving before the show started, presumably because of work commitments, travel arrangements or just because they thought, ''what a cock''. You are not telling me these people paid £60 for the privilege of waiting for something they knew would not arrive until, whenever? Nobody does that.

But they paid the money anyway...

At the shows I went to there were people leaving before the show started, presumably because of work commitments, travel arrangements or just because they thought, ''what a cock''. You are not telling me these people paid £60 for the privilege of waiting for something they knew would not arrive until, whenever? Nobody does that.

Because they obviously did not know which is the point I am trying to make!!

Not a problem for me at all because I know ahead of time that Axl and GNR won't come on stage until ten or later. In Vegas, GNR came on around 11:45. In Dallas it was more like 10:00 since concerts aren't allowed to go beyond 11 or 11:30 here, but GNR still played 3 hours and I'm sure Axl paid a hefty fine to Dallas county.

I've seen many bands in my day and some of them would be an hour or so late, but once they hit the stage no one cared! It's rock and roll, so shut up and rock!

''Rawk n' roll dude. I sat waiting for five hours for a washed out former 1980s rock star to arrive on stage and now have a £60 taxi ride to enjoy dude - that is how 'rock' I am''.

Not a problem for me at all because I know ahead of time that Axl and GNR won't come on stage until ten or later. In Vegas, GNR came on around 11:45. In Dallas it was more like 10:00 since concerts aren't allowed to go beyond 11 or 11:30 here, but GNR still played 3 hours and I'm sure Axl paid a hefty fine to Dallas county.

I've seen many bands in my day and some of them would be an hour or so late, but once they hit the stage no one cared! It's rock and roll, so shut up and rock!

''Rawk n' roll dude. I sat waiting for five hours for a washed out former 1980s rock star to arrive on stage and now have a £60 taxi ride to enjoy dude - that is how 'rock' I am''.

Really cuz Axl hasnt been late for the past 29 years of shows?

Seriously, anyone going to to see Axl and his "band" this day and age, know what Axl is all about. You pay to go, knowing not when he will go on stage. Is it worth it anymore taking that chance? Well i guess thats up to the person buying the ticket these days.

Seriously, anyone going to to see Axl and his "band" this day and age, know what Axl is all about. You pay to go, knowing not when he will go on stage. Is it worth it anymore taking that chance? Well i guess thats up to the person buying the ticket these days.

I do not agree. As I said, you would not see people leaving the venue before he decides to play, in turn sacrificing their £60, if this was true.

I partly agree with the caller on the radio interview who argued that this has been going on for 25 years so if you go and don't know about it, more fool you. The fact is that everyone who has a seat and probably 75% of the people standing aren't bothered about getting a spot right near the stage so they can just turn up late and go grab a beer and chill and go in later on. That's what I did when I took people to see them.

The only thing that really bothers me about it is that it's hardcore fans who supported New Guns and love Chinese who get screwed over because we have to queue in the pissing cold and rain from 8am to guarantee a spot on the barrier and then dehydrate all day so we don't need a piss when we finally hit the barrier and have to stand there for 4+ hours before Axl comes on.

The people and the media who bitch and complain about it the most are the casual fans who are in seats or stood halfway back, talking through the Chinese songs and only want to hear the tired old songs.

Interesting point of view, but you know it's all part of the brain.

Back in 2010 I was a hardcore, hardcore GN'R fan. I took the fucking plane to attend 2 shows in Norway ahaha. I went to Bergen & Oslo, and even between those 2 cities, I had to take a plane.

I went to the first show at around 3 or 4 pm... Axl didn't show up until 11 pm if I recall correctly. I didn't mind it, because it was worth the wait.

It was all part of the fun and adventure. Axl was awesome, even got to meet him after the Oslo show, it felt like a nice reward.

The fans in Norway were the best I ever met. Truly dedicated, some new fans, some old fans... some people were business men, I was only a student at the time, shared drinks with them and the best fucking part was... We were in a bar in Oslo, and we sang Coma half-drunk, everybody knew every fucking word of that song. Man that was badass. I love Norway.

But ever since Rock in Rio 2011, I don't care as much. When I watched the stream live, I couldn't believe my eyes and ears. Axl hadn't taken care of him at all and sounded like crap, butchered a couple of songs, forgot the words to November Rain... That was harsh. Back then I waited for this show like a revelation, thought we'd get at least one new song (still got Estranged, but Axl sounded very poor on that one), I truly supported the band, bought whatever merchandise and CD I could find, wore CD shirts every day, told my friends how badass the record was, attended blindtests in pubs and told everybody how great GN'R is.

So when I went to the Paris gig in 2012, my expectations were very, very low. I entered Bercy at 9 or 10 pm, and left around midnight. And I can tell you the wait was far more irritating even thought I only waited for like an hour or so until the start, because I already knew the show wouldn't top the 2010's ones.

It's all about the expectations, dedication, and delivery. I don't see how anyone can be excited about GN'R as of 2015 given Axl's performance in 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014. The only good thing about 2014 were the Las Vegas shows, lots of CD songs were sung and Axl almost got back to his 2010 level at the end of the residency.

I can only hope he has trained for the past year and still has some interest for his work, but I really doubt it. I won't make the same mistake I did in 2011. He seems to only train when a new tour begins.

My guess is he is enjoying his life and money, probably just watching movies and sports, eating whatever he wants, and runs every once in a while. At least his way of life will allow him to grow older than most rock n' roll frontmen, but he will never look and sound as badass as he did when he was younger. You don't stay at the top of your game when you sit on your ass enjoying life, you just get softer.

• Like 2

I do not agree. As I said, you would not see people leaving the venue before he decides to play, in turn sacrificing their £60, if this was true.

Idk, didnt see that happening last time i saw them. And the lateness really hasnt been an issue the past few years.

Some of you are really missing the point.

We wait - because we have to if we want to see out favorite singer.

Can't you just admit that it is a total douche bag move and completely disrespectful towards his fans. But if we want to go see our idol and one if the best singers alive, that's the price we choose to pay. Doesn't excuse the fact that it's a c*nt move.

Kind of similar to me not wanting to pay $3,500 in airfare and $200 a night for a hotel and $500 to take my kids to Disneyland for the weekend. But I HAVE to spend that money if I want to give the kids a lifetime memory.

Same thing with the late starts.

We do it because we love Axl. But making excuses for him is just idiotic.

Idk, didnt see that happening last time i saw them. And the lateness really hasnt been an issue the past few years.

It happened when I saw them last in the UK 2012. Axl did not start until 1030-11ish and everyone who had a seat or wasn't bothered about a good place was in the foyer and there were people visibly going home. Same thing happened in 2006 when he started at 11:30ish. You also see tons of people leave early after the show has started, say from around a hour and a half into the set onwards.

Edited by DieselDaisy

Some of you are really missing the point.

We wait - because we have to if we want to see out favorite singer.

Can't you just admit that it is a total douche bag move and completely disrespectful towards his fans. But if we want to go see our idol and one if the best singers alive, that's the price we choose to pay. Doesn't excuse the fact that it's a c*nt move.

Kind of similar to me not wanting to pay $3,500 in airfare and $200 a night for a hotel and $500 to take my kids to Disneyland for the weekend. But I HAVE to spend that money if I want to give the kids a lifetime memory.

Same thing with the late starts.

We do it because we love Axl. But making excuses for him is just idiotic.

I'm still not sure it's entirely douche baggery that makes him do it.

I asked Marc a question a while back, wondering if he had any memories of Axl when he should have been on stage and what was he doing. This was his reply:

"all i will say is that I have seen Axl backstage or still at the hotel when he was already late and he just was not ready. It could be as simple as he was still doing his workout or didn't shower yet or didn't finish what ever he was doing in his day that needed to get done before he was going to hit the stage. This is something that can also happen when he doesn't even have a gig that day. He just runs behind sometimes and for that reason he misses or is late to appointments. The thing about Axl is there can be no wine before its time. If he is not ready to go on stage, then you wouldn't want to see him proform anyway. Axl wants to give you his best and if something is off then he's not going to give you something other then his best."

It sounds like there's more to the story than just him wanting to screw people over. Although I think Brain hinted that one time when he was supposed to be on Axl was getting a massage.

Honestly what I'd like to see happen is the venue & management bump everything back two hours. Doors at 9, Opener at 10, GN'R at 11. That way people know what they're getting into when they buy tickets, they can expect a late night, it doesn't fuck the crowd over and Axl can come on at the time he feels most comfortable. That's what happened at Brooklyn Bowl and despite Axl's diarrhea it worked out fine.

You could also take the position of "Axl, you're a grown man, just get the fuck on stage at 9," which I get too.

Edited by BangoSkank

when I saw them in 2002, they came onstage at exactly 10pm and ended at midnight.....every other time I've seen them, they've been late anywhere from 2-4 hours

Edited by Sixes

Was hours late for L'Arc (1am). One of the top 2 gigs I've ever seen in my life.

Was actually 15 mins early for Abu Dhabi 2013. Prob worst GNR gig I've been to.

The difference? The voice.

For UCAP, my ticket said doors open at 9am, so the opener played at about 10:30 and Axl came on just after midnight. With that late a door opening time, midnight actually seemed reasonable to me (shows that start at 8:30/9 usually open doors at 5/6). Again, he sounded really good so I didn't care.

Obviously I'd prefer it if he was on time, but the voice and the passion and intensity that go into performances are what matter most to me. Probably even more than new music: if he debuted a new song but half-assed the vocal performance, it would be a real bummer. But I could listen to him sing WTTJ with his former trademark ferocity and fire over and over and over again.