Moderation Discussion

Towelie

yes, we can

but the mods (doesn't matter who they are) will never change their opinion or never admit their mistakes...

i'M not talking about mygnr only, i'M talking about internet forums in general

that's what happens when you give power to a certain group of people

I'm not saying you're wrong in all cases, but I think you are in about 80% of them. Try and look at the other side of the medallion here. Mods, no matter where, choose to invest (a lot of) their spare time into creating a place where people can discuss something they're all into. And no matter how you do it, you only get shit in return. There's always users complaining, people being jerks, people purposely breaking the rules, people trying to stir shit up, people just plain trying to make your life miserable. Always. No matter how good a job you do. It's a bloody thankless job. All you get for it is shit. And threads like this. So excuse them if they get a little sick and tired of it occasionally and clean something a little too rigorous or lash out against a user that had it coming for months. I'm not saying it's always ok, just that it's often understandable.

And in the light of all that, I think the admin/mod team here is doing a bloody good job. Just like they were when Subsy and High were running things. And I definitely don't agree with everything Madison did, but I fully understand her frustration and she got a lot more shit for it than she deserved.

Try and look at it from their side occasionally.

yeah yeah

1. lot of spare time, i think no one is forcing them to invest time on an internet forum ...

2. i do not think they only got shit in return, they constantly kiss their circles asses, and a lot of people kissing their asses so...

3. i have zero problem, if they do not like this thread so no need to "excuse " them, imho

4. we are all humans and make mistakes, i don't think anybody deny this here in this thread...

5. this is just an internet forum after all, not serious business

6. i'm not saying the moderation is always bad here, a few posters saying it's often too rigorous (but yeah, still better than in 2002-2010 but that doesn't automatically mean it's good),

7. As you can see, the mods here took this thread as an offense and that is a bit laughable (although thank god, they do not close this thread, so kudos to them for this! :headbang: )

8. Try to look at it from the casual posters side :shrugs: i think the criticism lately is valid

I don't think any of the mods took the thread offensively - have you even taken the time to read their responses?

Nobody forces them to invest time in the forum; that's something they do for the community. It's how volunteering works. If you don't like the way they volunteer their time, the onus here is really on you to either give them constructive feedback or leave. :shrugs:

your response is the proof that they took the thread offensively

and yes, i've read their responses

I don't care how they volunteer their time, that's not the exact point, i'm just simply stating my opinion like everybody else

whatever

:lol: OK. you obviously didn't read their posts. No worries.

have you got any substantial proof for your statement?

Hiding behind the "volunteering" is not a strong reason for over moderating problems

anyway, good day

i'M outta here, because i'm talking to a brick wall probably

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday I quoted a very good post on the Fermanager topic, and wrote "Where did you come from with that much sense? Fuck off, don't you know people don't like it around here? :lol:". My post was quoted twice, and then deleted. I never had the chance to read the posts that quoted mine. I'd like to know why was my post deleted. Was it because of the "F WORD"?!

• Like 1

Yesterday I quoted a very good post on the Fermanager topic, and wrote "Where did you come from with that much sense? Fuck off, don't you know people don't like it around here? :lol:". My post was quoted twice, and then deleted. I never had the chance to read the posts that quoted mine. I'd like to know why was my post deleted. Was it because of the "F WORD"?!

Yeah, I see why you'd have an issue with that. I get that you weren't telling anyone off or being belligerent, but the admin/mod staff had already dealt with enough drama over the past 24-48 hours that allowing your post to remain would result in more accusations and anger. We're trying to do the right thing but at times we have to be a little more heavy-handed than we'd like or risk dealing with even more drama.

My apologies.

Yeah, I see why you'd have an issue with that. I get that you weren't telling anyone off or being belligerent, but the admin/mod staff had already dealt with enough drama over the past 24-48 hours that allowing your post to remain would result in more accusations and anger. We're trying to do the right thing but at times we have to be a little more heavy-handed than we'd like or risk dealing with even more drama.

My apologies.

That was my post, lol and you know what? here's your drama:

might as well look for your own words in this thread: http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/202201-jurassic-world-spoilers/page-28 and applicate your own rules to yourself

i know i risk a ban/suspension with this post now, but somebody have to come out with this if you are REALLY fixated to this f. o. issue

My apologies.

might as well look for your own words in this thread: http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/202201-jurassic-world-spoilers/page-28 and applicate your own rules to yourself

i know i risk a ban/suspension with this post now, but somebody have to come out with this if you are REALLY fixated to this f. o. issue

Why would you run the risk of pointing out a glaring contradiction?

You're right, I've made the same mistake and slipped as well. That post should not have been made and were I not the owner of this place I probably receive some form of punishment for it.

That said, I did specifically warn everyone in the Fernando thread not to tell anyone off after the first instance. Moreover, it wasn't just telling Fernando off that raised flags but using a personal insult that resulted in the actions taken. We have long followed the practice of issuing a general warning in regards to specific outbursts and then follow through with penalties when such warnings are ignored. While my own personal behavior might lack consistency, our approach to moderating has not.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

• Like 2

My apologies.

Why would you run the risk of pointing out a glaring contradiction?

You're right, I've made the same mistake and slipped as well. That post should not have been made and were I not the owner of this place I probably receive some form of punishment for it.

That said, I did specifically warn everyone in the Fernando thread not to tell anyone off after the first instance. Moreover, it wasn't just telling Fernando off that raised flags but using a personal insult that resulted in the actions taken. We have long followed the practice of issuing a general warning in regards to specific outbursts and then follow through with penalties when such warnings are ignored. While my own personal behavior might lack consistency, our approach to moderating has not.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Free t-shirts for everybody as your form of punishment?

• 2 months later...

So now the word Tr0ll is censored here? when did this happen and why?

Dammit! I went to quote Alfie and deleted her post instead because I'm on mobile. (Surry Alfie!)

But.... Like she said it's been that way for at least half a year.

Most of the word filters on here are only meant in jest anyway.

• Like 1

So now the word Tr0ll is censored here? when did this happen and why?

Dammit! I went to quote Alfie and deleted her post instead because I'm on mobile. (Surry Alfie!)

But.... Like she said it's been that way for at least half a year.

Most of the word filters on here are only meant in jest anyway.

:max:

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
Again, if you want to discuss our rules, guidelines, and moderation policies, there is a thread for that purpose. Or better yet, please send myself or a fellow mod/admin a PM where we can discuss your concerns.

Or better yet, you can get with your moderator I was in pm with that said he would rather take the discussion to that topic so people don't think he's being shady.

Little EMO Annie is a fake account made in 05 that was rarely posted on until now. Ironically, every topic she gets into leaves people either thinking the same thing or that she's ill. As HORRIBLE and SHOCKING as that point is, I hope that no one is traumatized by expressing.

Again, if you want to discuss our rules, guidelines, and moderation policies, there is a thread for that purpose. Or better yet, please send myself or a fellow mod/admin a PM where we can discuss your concerns.

Or better yet, you can get with your moderator I was in pm with that said he would rather take the discussion to that topic so people don't think he's being shady.

Little EMO Annie is a fake account made in 05 that was rarely posted on until now. Ironically, every topic she gets into leaves people either thinking the same thing or that she's ill. As HORRIBLE and SHOCKING as that point is, I hope that no one is traumatized by expressing.

That's fine. And you're welcome to that opinion. But as far as we're concerned, having looked into the account, we don't see evidence that it is a fake account. It is entirely possible that we're wrong, but all evidence points to the contrary. I have accounts at several other GNR forums that I haven't use to post in years. It's possible others started an account here a long time ago but posted elsewhere for the time being.

As for thinking this person is ill, well, that may or may not be. Let's not forget that fan forums, particularly those populated by hardcore fans, lend themselves to people who are, for a lack of a better description, socially challenged. But let's also not forget that it can be an arbitrary proposition. I'm sure there are several members who consider me mentally ill for my political positions :P

The only thing we ask is that you attack the point, not the person. If there are members who you just can't tolerate, put them on your ignore list.

:lol: Downzy wasn't aware that I'd said that seeing as it was in a PM. I took the discussion back to the thread for exactly the reason I said; because I like to keep things out in the open. Having said that, Downzy was right to steer the conversation here seeing as that thread is obviously way too far off track by now.

As far as Annie goes, all I can continue to tell you is that she is a real person and that is a real account. On top of that, I should point out that I personally disagree with 95% of what she posts. However, she's not breaking any rules by posting her opinions no matter how different they may be from mine or yours. She's been given warning points & suspensions when she has broken the rules, but we won't do that just because she posts a different opinion than others.

• Like 1

You can't turn everyone into cuckolds, downzy.

Not going to address any of those comments about people on the internet since nearly everyone is on the internet and therefore would reflect realty's true normal of the peoples' general social skills when you look at a general attitude of a forum.

:lol: Downzy wasn't aware that I'd said that seeing as it was in a PM. I took the discussion back to the thread for exactly the reason I said; because I like to keep things out in the open. Having said that, Downzy was right to steer the conversation here seeing as that thread is obviously way too far off track by now.

As far as Annie goes, all I can continue to tell you is that she is a real person and that is a real account. On top of that, I should point out that I personally disagree with 95% of what she posts. However, she's not breaking any rules by posting her opinions no matter how different they may be from mine or yours. She's been given warning points & suspensions when she has broken the rules, but we won't do that just because she posts a different opinion than others.

I don't care if she's been punished. That's not my concern at all. I'd rather there be some discussion than everyone agreeing that Axl's latest Vegas piano looked demented.

Point is, when you're trying to moderate an accusation on the level of whether or not they're "fake," you may as well just close shop.

@no one in particular - When you have to mold your explanations to explain a fuck up, you've already lost.

My account is not fake. I am a real person. I live In Chicago. If anybody wants to meet me in person all you have to do is send me a PM. I am not insane. I can be a smartass when I am in the right mood. I think getting a warm hug from the King of hell has made me feisty. I never posted much because nobody ever talked to me before. I am a huge Axl Rose fan and I just wanted to show some support for him. People do not have to agree with or like my posts. I don't even care if people want to insult me, they have freedom of speech. So I will not respond to any insults against me to get off topic. But i WILL continue to say positive things about my favorite artist and band. Just trying to counteract some of the untruths out in the media. I ride the CTA on a regular basis so I am not intimidated by internet bullying when it occurs. I am also aware that I am not the stereotypical heavy metal fan. I am actually more of a Broadway musical kind of girl. In my world people totally tease me about being A GNR fan. That's why I like to post on GNR forums from time to time.

Edited by Little EMO Annie

I think getting a warm hug from the King of hell has made me feisty.

:rofl-lol:

In all honesty, I don't think she's a fake account. She's the same person who returned Marc's book.

And that is the truth! Was just meant to be a smartass stunt that Seth Macfarlane would approve of, something that TED would do. Not only did Crowley hug me, he said that he loved me. Nosaj if we are ever at a show together, I will buy you a Budweiser beer. I only drink champagne.

Edited by Little EMO Annie

Honest question - do you guys care what people say about this forum or it's owners/mods/members at other GnR forums?

Does that matter at all when moderating how they post here. Or do you solely judge them by their actions here.

Example. Somebody just blasts and destroys this forum when they post on another GnR forum. They bash the owner, they insult the mods, and they insult the regular posters.

Is that history relevant when they sign up here or when they post here? Or in Downzy's quest to not allow forum-v-forum drama, is that person's bashing of mygnrforum just ignored?

Honest question - do you guys care what people say about this forum or it's owners/mods/members at other GnR forums?

Does that matter at all when moderating how they post here. Or do you solely judge them by their actions here.

Example. Somebody just blasts and destroys this forum when they post on another GnR forum. They bash the owner, they insult the mods, and they insult the regular posters.

Is that history relevant when they sign up here or when they post here? Or in Downzy's quest to not allow forum-v-forum drama, is that person's bashing of mygnrforum just ignored?

No, we do not base any of our moderating decisions on what's said about us or the forum elsewhere on the web.

We would (and have) take action against members and non-members who threaten the privacy or livelihoods of our members, the staff, or the health of the forum itself. But short of that, our only concern is that those who participate on this forum comply with the rules and follow any directions provided by the staff.

Life is too short to put much stock in what some stranger says about you who likely lives thousands of miles away.

• Like 3

That's fine. And you're welcome to that opinion. But as far as we're concerned, having looked into the account, we don't see evidence that it is a fake account. It is entirely possible that we're wrong, but all evidence points to the contrary. I have accounts at several other GNR forums that I haven't use to post in years. It's possible others started an account here a long time ago but posted elsewhere for the time being.

As for thinking this person is ill, well, that may or may not be. Let's not forget that fan forums, particularly those populated by hardcore fans, lend themselves to people who are, for a lack of a better description, socially challenged. But let's also not forget that it can be an arbitrary proposition. I'm sure there are several members who consider me mentally ill for my political positions :P

The only thing we ask is that you attack the point, not the person. If there are members who you just can't tolerate, put them on your ignore list.

the meaning of this post: "get on board or fuck off"

Certainly 80% of the regular userbase choose the latter lately...

Aren't you think about their perspective or the "why"'s behind it?

Anyway, good luck with the remaining spam... ahem userbase