Amy Schumer unhappy in this interview

I don't think she came off bad at all.

She told them the movie was based a lot on her own life.........the announcer called the character (Amy) a "skank"...........essentially calling her a skank.

It's kinda like Richard Pryor getting wound up by someone seeing a biopic of his life and someone calling the character a crackhead, I mean the films called Trainwreck to begin with for crying out loud, hardly something you call someone as a compliment.

Quite frankly the interviewers came off as dull and she came off as boring and kinda snotty. It's like people can trade off being fucked up but God forbid you call it that.

Edited by Len B'stard

When the interviewer tries to explain that he's simply saying the character is a trainwreck and that she's kind of "skanky" until she decides to change, Schumer doesn't like that, so she's like, "No, it's more that she's repeatedly hurting herself and people she cares about."

Congratulation, everyone. Now hurting yourself and people you care about is not nearly as bad as being a skank. :lol:

Edited by magisme

Perhaps it was specific use of the word skank and the fact its connotations are specific to birds that wound her up?

And the specific double standard it exposes. In which case, fair enough.

You'll have to excuse my ignorance here but this ladys a comedian right? I heard of her first time about 3 days ago when i found out Method Man was gonna be in this film from an interview on The Breakfast Club, exactly what kind of comedy does she do that she got sensitive about that?

I wondered why the first thing Charlamagne tha God said when being presented with the synopsis was 'so she's being like a man?'. This is some kinda set up, isn't it? :lol:

Edited by Len B'stard

Perhaps it was specific use of the word skank and the fact its connotations are specific to birds that wound her up?

And the specific double standard it exposes. In which case, fair enough.

You'll have to excuse my ignorance here but this ladys a comedian right? I heard of her first time about 3 days ago when i found out Method Man was gonna be in this film, exactly what kind of comedy does she do that she got sensitive about that?

I've never seen her show or stand up, I do believe she's quite ribald though. I don't know what her exact issue was, but the word is generally used to shame women for sexual behavior that's tolerated (if not admired) in men and it's lazy, usually hypocritical and tiresome. Having said that, the trailer makes the film appear to be a 'bad girl redeemed by love' thing, so she may be being hypocritical herself.

• Like 1

I honestly think the world needs more shame, not less.

At least dole it out fairly.

Absolutely. But we do have to spend some time thinking about how "fair" =/= "same". I'm not saying give license to guys to fuck everything and strap a chastity belt on girls when they turn 13, but let's be thoughtful, intelligent people about things and not just broad stroke homogenize everything because it's too complicated or uncomfortable to think about.

Absolutely. But we do have to spend some time thinking about how "fair" =/= "same". I'm not saying give license to guys to fuck everything and strap a chastity belt on girls when they turn 13, but let's be thoughtful, intelligent people about things and not just broad stroke homogenize everything because it's too complicated or uncomfortable to think about.

What's thoughtful and intelligent about the word 'skank'? :lol: A word there's no male equivalent of because men are allowed to fuck for the sake of fucking without being denigrated or assumed to be damaged goods. Outside of infidelity and any reckless behavior that could put an unwitting partner at risk, I don't see any reason for shame in any consensual sexual activity, and I certainly don't see why men and women should be held to such radically different standards.

Edited by Angelica
  • Like 1

What's thoughtful and intelligent about the word 'skank'? :lol: A word there's no male equivalent of because men are allowed to fuck for the sake of fucking without being denigrated or assumed to be damaged goods. Outside of infidelity and any reckless behavior that could put an unwitting partner at risk, I don't see any reason for shame in any consensual sexual activity, and I certainly don't see why men and women continue to be judged differently in this regard.

Girls take sex more seriously than guys, fact :lol:

What's thoughtful and intelligent about the word 'skank'? :lol: A word there's no male equivalent of because men are allowed to fuck for the sake of fucking without being denigrated or assumed to be damaged goods. Outside of infidelity and any reckless behavior that could put an unwitting partner at risk, I don't see any reason for shame in any consensual sexual activity, and I certainly don't see why men and women should be held to such radically different standards.

As a film person, I assume you know that civilization itself is repression, mostly sexual repression. If you want complete sexual freedom as long as it's consensual with society having no right to form a negative opinion, we might as well just call it a day.

She took it too hard, because in the end he is right and he defended it as much as he could. Her movie is called Trainwreck. Maybe she doesn't see her character as a "skank" but the entire point is that her character has a problem until she changes that, so to not even say she knows where the guy's coming from and explaining why its wrong is stupid.

I think what bothers her the most is that we so freely use the word "skank" for a girl that sleeps around and there's nothing to call a guy. She got mad because "skank" implies everything she is in the movie, but if it was a guy just sleeping around people would say it was normal. She's trying to come off strong and independent in the movie, so I think it was less that they were essentially calling HER a skank in real life, but more that she doesn't like that her "character" that she's trying to portray as strong as any man's is reduced to the word skank when in all honesty if this was a guy just banging till he got his fill of it people wouldn't say a word about him. She finds the word demeaning, which it is, when there's nothing to call a guy if he's acting like that too.

Also Method Man is literally in the movie for 10 seconds if I remember it correctly. Just to answer that question.

There absolutely are negative things to call guys who sleep around. It's such a myth that there aren't. They have different goals and effects than the names called women, but if you think there aren't names for men, you've neither been nor been around a man who is open about having sex with a lot of women.

Funny how she gets offended, but when she told that Ryan Dunn joke at the Charlie Sheen Roast she didn't understand why people got upset. Hypocrite.

So a joke at a roast - which are known for being as raunchy as possible - is the same thing as a journalist interviewing somebody?

No offense, but you might not actually know what the word hypocrite means.

I think the male word would be f*ggot.

If a male actor did a movie roughly based in his life and admitted that in college he was drinking and drugging a lot and had a couple homosexual relationships.

"So in college you were a real f*ggot....." Says the interviewer to the actor.

Would the male actor take offense to the use of that word or would he laugh and give the guy a high five. Because if he did sleep with a guy, then he was being a f*ggot. Right?

And if the actor busted the interviewers balls a few times would the male posters in here be calling the actor names and saying how wrong he was????? No. They wouldn't.

So yes. There is a bit of a double standard going on.

Comparing the words skank and hooray for tolerance!, good grief.

You've completely missed the point.

F*ggot and skank don't have the same definition.

But they are gender specific words that are used in a derogatory fashion to insult people.

Funny how she gets offended, but when she told that Ryan Dunn joke at the Charlie Sheen Roast she didn't understand why people got upset. Hypocrite.

So a joke at a roast - which are known for being as raunchy as possible - is the same thing as a journalist interviewing somebody?

No offense, but you might not actually know what the word hypocrite means.

Most comedians are pro at reading social situations, so she should've known the interviewer didn't mean to attack her. Her joke at that roast wasn't even a joke and she just plain out said "Why didn't you die instead of Ryan Dunn". Perhaps these scenarios aren't quite the same, but if you like to confront people with touchy subjects and are flaggergasted when they are offended, don't act like a cunt when someone does the same to you.

Comparing the words skank and hooray for tolerance!, good grief.

You've completely missed the point.

F*ggot and skank don't have the same definition.

But they are gender specific words that are used in a derogatory fashion to insult people.

You're suggesting they have the same weight though. Why not throw in n*gger, bitch and ginger while we're at it?