Should Chris Pitman switch to guitar?

First off, let it be known that to this day I still have no idea why Chris Pitman is in GNR. I think he's just an absolute waste of space and aside from playing the Spanish guitar intro on ITW, I've never seen or heard anything discernable from him in a live setting aside from waving a fucking towel.

That being said, with the mass exodus of guitar players that have occurred within the past week, I feel like that this may be an opportunity to prove himself by switching instruments. From what I've read, he is a multi-instrumentalist and I think he may have filled in bass for Tommy once. But, I don't know his technical prowess on the guitar at all and the cynic in me imagines it's probably a bland style that's on par with Paul Tobias.

I'd actually rather see just a two-guitar, twin-lead lineup in GNR if they decide to push through all of this. I'm not one for excess, but if they're not going to get rid of him, I'd rather see something useful come out of his position. What do you think?

Seems reasonable in Axl's world.

Make 4tus as the lead player

Make Pitman as the rhythm player

Hire another super shredder for live touring only

Axl still got Tommy, Dizzy, Frank

aand baaam, cash grab!

Have you run out of ideas?

go for the 20K posts! :headbang:
How close am I? On mobile can't see it here. But for real I don't see him taking on any other roles in Guns going forward. I was making a play on the user name of the op :). And for the record I have way more posts than that lol we lost some a few years back Edited by gunsguy

aand baaam, cash grab!

How close am I? On mobile can't see it here. But for real I don't see him taking on any other roles in Guns going forward. I was making a play on the user name of the op :). And for the record I have way more posts than that lol we lost some a few years back

your next post will be your 20K!!!!!

aand baaam, cash grab!

How close am I? On mobile can't see it here. But for real I don't see him taking on any other roles in Guns going forward. I was making a play on the user name of the op :). And for the record I have way more posts than that lol we lost some a few years back

your next post will be your 20K!!!!!

I bet 20,000 Chris is sticking to his Guns!

I've never seen or heard anything discernable from him in a live setting aside from waving a fucking towel.

LOL

I guess he can play the guitar, but Axl won't make him the rhythm guitarist, I wish I had a job like him.

Haha so basically imagine a scenario where Guns N Roses has sunk so low that they are relegated to a band that lets guys who kinda play some keyboards prove themselves on guitar. Yeah that's pretty cool. I'm thinking if Frank quits we should also let Dizzy prove himself on drums. He's earned a shot. PLus I've seen him hit some bongos.

Edited by Bono

Pittmans role was a lot bigger and a lot more noticeable in 2001-2002. Once the real nu gnr was done, the sound of the band changed quite a bit imo. By the time 2006 rolled around and since his role in the band is a head scratcher to me. That said I liked what he added to some of the old songs and especially liked what he added to the blues in 2002. Whatever. Who cares.

• Like 1

Haha so basically imagine a scenario where Guns N Roses has sunk so low that they are relegated to a band that lets guys who kinda play some keyboards prove themselves on guitar. Yeah that's pretty cool. I'm thinking if Frank quits we should also let Dizzy prove himself on drums. He's earned a shot. PLus I've seen him hit some bongos.

Maybe the better term is "Actually letting him do something that provides an integral element to the band's sound".

GNR (And quite a few bands for that matter) never needed a second keyboardist in a live setting. They're not like, say, mid-70's Allman Brothers Band where Gregg had a rhythmic organ that provided counterpoint for Chuck Leavell's keyboard work (Which in turn was a twin element to Dickey Bett's guitar). Hell, Teddy Zig-Zag added more of a role than he has ever have. Chris Pitman is the biggest waste of space I've ever seen in a band lineup and if you actually have an argument that's worth defending him, please, go right ahead.

And for the record, I'd give Dizzy a chance on drums since Frank is the worst drummer in the band's history.

I wont deny, Pitman probably played an integral part of the recording sessions, he has some writing credits and did quite a bit of engineering if i remember correctly, but live he is pretty useless. Id bet his synths are all programed so all he needs to do is press a button here and there. Nothing that Dizzy couldnt add to his repetoire in a live setting.

Edited by ChineseIRS