*If* Finck decided to return...

I don't think he 'butchered' the old material. He just tried to play it his own way. I mean if you're a replacement in a band, don't you wanna try putting your stamp on old songs, that's creative. Why would you wanna play it note for note as some other guy did? If you wanna hear a song played note for note you listen to the LP.

• Like 2

Finck is great at what Finck does. He also left at a crucial point trying to release the album. IMO he doesn't suit GNR although he was cool to watch on stage. Playing wise, i agree he didn't stay true to GNR note for note.. some would say he butchered it.. others would say he put his own feel to it. Either way no. If he comes back i'll call him a taxi.

The more I think about this, the more possible it seems. If axl is trying to bring back the CD songs left over then he will want Robin back. He got rid of the two Guys Who had nothing to do with the creation era of the new band. Now he needs to piece back together a band that can give this material justice..whatever it may be.

I'm all for a reunion right now. Either Slash reunites or Axl reunites the CD era. There is no starting over for Axl in my opinion. He's gotta finish what he started or find a happy ending. I'll be fine with either of these options.

He didn't fit GNR. He butchered the old material which is 90% of the setlist.

I don't see what is great about his contributions to CD either.

He is better than Ashba which doesn't say much.

I'll acknowledge that he is better in a band that suits his style, that being NIN.

This pretty much sums it up for me as well. His old material lead work was just terrible live...and a lot of people talk about his awesome CD contributions but I can't name one memorable riff or guitar melody on that album. His solo in Better is...ok, and that about all the praise I could give him.

• Like 1

He didn't fit GNR. He butchered the old material which is 90% of the setlist.

I don't see what is great about his contributions to CD either.

He is better than Ashba which doesn't say much.

I'll acknowledge that he is better in a band that suits his style, that being NIN.

This pretty much sums it up for me as well. His old material lead work was just terrible live...and a lot of people talk about his awesome CD contributions but I can't name one memorable riff or guitar melody on that album. His solo in Better is...ok, and that about all the praise I could give him.

Well, he also has memorable solos on the title-track, SoD, TWAT, I.R.S. and This I Love. I don't really understand all the comments about how he "butchered" the old material. While he struggled at times with the November Rain solos, he never was flat-out incapable of playing the material the way Dj was with This I Love, or supposedly Riad'.

His playing on these solos is just as good as pretty much any of Slash's performances from the UYI tour to my ears and eyes:

• Like 1

I don't think he 'butchered' the old material. He just tried to play it his own way. I mean if you're a replacement in a band, don't you wanna try putting your stamp on old songs, that's creative. Why would you wanna play it note for note as some other guy did? If you wanna he

ar a song played note for note you listen to the LP.

You call it playing his own way, I call it butchering it. It sucked and you are around here long enough to remember the dogs abuse he got for it at the time.

Just to weigh in on the butchering vs putting your own stamp on it argument.... I'm not overly convinced Finck wasn't at times masking his sloppiness under the guise of taking creative liberties. I have no problem with the new guitarists attempting to put their own unique spin on Slash's original solos, especially when you look at what BH did with the Nightrain solo. But sometimes I think Robin was just as guilty as DJ at changing things to hide his lack of competency on the axe.

Edited by Towelie

Just to weigh in on the butchering vs putting your own stamp on it argument.... I'm not overly convinced Finck wasn't at times masking his sloppiness under the guise of taking creative liberties. I have no problem with the new guitarists attempting to put their own unique spin on Slash's original solos, especially when you look at what BH did with the Nightrain solo. But sometimes I think Robin was just as guilty as DJ at changing things to hide his lack of competency on the axe.

He did both. Sometimes he played stuff differently and it was good but most of the time there was a ton of slop and mistakes. I actually think Robin was worse than DJ in that regard