Dr. Dre: "I didn't release Detox because I didn't like it. It wasn't good." Should Axl have treated CD similarly?

Dr. Dre is releasing a new album Aug 7 entitled "Compton: The Soundtrack," an album loosely tied as the soundtrack to the new NWA biopic. This album is coming in lieu of the fabled "Detox," considered by many to be the "Chinese Democracy" of hip-hop. Dre explains:

This is something you're not gonna hear many artists say, the reason that Detox didn't come out was because I didn't like it," he says. "It wasn't good. The record, it just wasn't good. I'ma keep it all the way 1000 with you, I mean seriously, I worked my ass off on it, but I didn't think I did a good enough job. I couldn't do that to my fans, I couldn't do that to myself to be honest.

Dre is acknowledging that the expectations for Detox were so high from not only fans but himself, he couldn't ever meet it. So instead of just throwing out whatever he had, he shelved it and is releasing something else. Is it possible Axl would have been better off shelving CD and putting out another album without all of the baggage and pressure of the "Chinese Democracy" album?

http://www.complex.com/music/2015/08/dr-dre-the-pharmacy-interview?utm_campaign=complexmag%20socialflow%2008%202015&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=socialsr_share%3Dfacebook

Edited by TeeJay410

Axl in the chats sort of indicated the album came out before he was really ready and he wasn't totally happy with it. I don't think Axl dislikes Cd, but he may have been better off dropping the notion of CD and putting out an album without all of the drama.

From what I've heard, it was minor things Axl was trying to hold the album back for. Cover art and liner notes and such. I've never seen him indicate that the actual content of the record was under cooked or anything.

In terms of actually liking the album who knows? I've mentioned this elsewhere recently, but I personally feel Axl's vision of what he wanted Chinese Democracy to be was a lot like that episode of Malcolm in the Middle. Where Hal takes a week off of work to paint a mural or some shit and is never able to get it quite how he pictured it in his head. I'd say that's the equivalent of how Axl kept seeing his vanity project. He seemed to have struggled to translate what he had in his head to the studio, which explains why it took so long and seems so all over the place. All murky and confused and shit.

I also think the main reason he even bothers playing the nu stuff live is because cutting all that stuff out would essentially be admitting defeat. That he couldn't create GNR material that people liked without Izzy, Slash, etc. It seems to be more of a man stubbornly stuck in denial than a man with "so much integrity" or because he loves the songs oh so much. My two pennies.

• Like 1

There's a lot of good stuff on Chinese Democracy. It has some throwaway songs for sure, but so did Use Your Illusion.

Like what?

Shotgun Blues, Bad Apples, Don't Damn Me, You Ain't The First, Get In The Ring, My World... That's almost half the number of songs on CD's worth of not-exactly-groundbreaking stuff from the Illusions.

• Like 1

I don't think Axl wanted to release CD when it was but I don't think he had a choice at that time.

Axl almost had a nervous breakdown when UYI 1 and 2 were released, so I guess he wants to take his time from now on.

There's a lot of good stuff on Chinese Democracy. It has some throwaway songs for sure, but so did Use Your Illusion.

Like what?

Which part of my comment are you referring to?

All of it.

OK.

Throwaway from CD: Shackler, Scraped, Riad. Also unfortunate that Axl dropped Brian May's solo from Catcher. Still a good song but would have been better with the May solo in the final version.

Throwaway from UYI: My World, Shotgun Blues, Bad Apples, Dead Horse, Garden of Eden, So Fine, Knocking On Heaven's Door (live versions destroy it)

Axl always described CD as the best record that this group of guys could make. I don't think that was Axl saying he was limited on what he could do with the band, but I believe he was right. He made a lot of music with the group he assembled and what they came up with was the best of that group. Staying together wouldn't result in some ground breaking new sound. It was just simply what this group of guys was capable of, they maximized it and a lot of people didn't like it. Some bands just don't work like you'd like them to. Sometimes the sound that they come up with isn't appealing for everyone. I think that's what happened here. Axl believed they made the best record they could make and it just didn't catch on.

It could have happened with the original lineup. But they finally found a sound that worked and stayed together. Some people just click musically. The original lineup did just that. Maybe I this point of time they wouldn't click anymore, but point is when you have a band you have to create a sound that appeals to be successful. CD lineup didn't have it. Great musicians, the chemistry was just dead. With Dr. dre it's easier to give up on your own work when it's your thing and your name. For Axl he brought a lot of guys into gnr and he had to follow through.

• Like 1

I think the songs didn't get any better with all the years of tinkering, they got worse.

The leaked and live versions by the Bucket/Finck lineup shit all over the abominations that appear on the final album IMO...postponing the release just saw the lineup dissolve and any chance of the album being "relevant" slip by.

Had it come out in 2002 (when that "industrial" sound) was poplular...

I think there is a very polarized opinion of cd. Its wether you fucking like it or it kinda disgust you. Its kinda my favorite gnr album, even though i love every album aside spag. Imo a lot of the hate comes from cd not being a gnr album.

Axl is apparently a perfectionist, so it isn't outside the realm of possibility of him leaving an album like ChiDem2 shelved just because it currently doesn't reach the potential and vision that Axl has made for the album

Dr. Dre is releasing a new album Aug 7 entitled "Compton: The Soundtrack," an album loosely tied as the soundtrack to the new NWA biopic. This album is coming in lieu of the fabled "Detox," considered by many to be the "Chinese Democracy" of hip-hop. Dre explains:

This is something you're not gonna hear many artists say, the reason that Detox didn't come out was because I didn't like it," he says. "It wasn't good. The record, it just wasn't good. I'ma keep it all the way 1000 with you, I mean seriously, I worked my ass off on it, but I didn't think I did a good enough job. I couldn't do that to my fans, I couldn't do that to myself to be honest.

Dre is acknowledging that the expectations for Detox were so high from not only fans but himself, he couldn't ever meet it. So instead of just throwing out whatever he had, he shelved it and is releasing something else. Is it possible Axl would have been better off shelving CD and putting out another album without all of the baggage and pressure of the "Chinese Democracy" album?

http://www.complex.com/music/2015/08/dr-dre-the-pharmacy-interview?utm_campaign=complexmag%20socialflow%2008%202015&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=socialsr_share%3Dfacebook

I LOVE CD so I'm really happy he released it.

• Like 2

I think there is a very polarized opinion of cd. Its wether you fucking like it or it kinda disgust you. Its kinda my favorite gnr album, even though i love every album aside spag. Imo a lot of the hate comes from cd not being a gnr album.

I think a lot of the hate comes from it just not being a good album period. If you named it something other than GnR I'd still think it's bad.

Axl in the chats sort of indicated the album came out before he was really ready and he wasn't totally happy with it. I don't think Axl dislikes Cd, but he may have been better off dropping the notion of CD and putting out an album without all of the drama.

Except he has never said anything like that. He has said the exact opposite though. He said that he DIDN'T have to release it before he was happy with it, it's the right record and he couldn't ask for more.

He was disappointed that the wrong artwork was used for the booklet, but the music was exactly like he wanted it to be.

Throw away songs

Chinese Democracy - SOD, TWAT, If the World, Catcher in the Rye, Scraped, Riad N' the Bedouins, Sorry, IRS, This I Love, Madagascar - 9

UYI I & II - Dust N' Bones, You Ain't The First, Bad Obsession, Bad Apple, Garden of Eden / Get in the Ring, Shotgun Blues, Pretty Tied Up, So Fine, My World - 10 or 13 if you include one version of Don't Cry and the two covers

No, Axl said the record was fine but wasnt happy with the bungled release. He has said it wasnt an easy process in anyway but he said it was the right record.

I guess it slots pretty well into the late 90s spot with maybe a little 00s elements too. I think Ron kind of rock n rolled it up a bit. Chi dem part he added made it more sleazy and less grungey. Ron brought some prog metal elements that made it feel more 2008.

The difference is now Axl's career been alive since 2008 and he has potential to keep it going. Dre is selling his soul to Jollywood and touring NWA songs with Eminem.

But i get it everyone loves Dre and his honesty is refreshing and Axl is still the douchebag that killed GNR.

Axl should probably do a reunion in Vegas just to burst that nostalgia bubble we are sitting in. The perfect sepia tones slashed by ginger adled duff beer sponsorships. Izzy hot dogs on wax.