Anyone Else Like BAD APPLES?

Okay song. Maybe another excuse for Slash to execute his ego on his guitar.

Always re inventing yourself, arent't you?

The Illusions have a trend of over bearing solos, some good, some great, some far too long it's like ego stroking and all the while Izzy is buried in the mix, you know the guy who wrote like half of Guns material at that point.

The Illusions have a trend of over bearing solos, some good, some great, some far too long it's like ego stroking and all the while Izzy is buried in the mix, you know the guy who wrote like half of Guns material at that point.
I guess you know the Illusions session history far better than any other member of this forum to be so quick to jump to your -usual- conclusion that Slash being higher in the mix than Izzy or even recording all rythm parts is an ego problem on Slash's part. I love Izzy, but honestly it could be anything. His tracks being half-assed and not up to par would be a logical answer, for instance. But I guess -as usual- not knowing the truth with certitude doesn't prevent you from battling for your personal agenda.

Oh, and if you're going to complain how the board is anti-Axl and pro Slash -as you constantly do-, you can try again to leave it. We're doing fine, honestly.

I guess you know the Illusions session history far better than any other member of this forum to be so quick to jump to your -usual- conclusion that Slash being higher in the mix than Izzy or even recording all rythm parts is an ego problem on Slash's part. I love Izzy, but honestly it could be anything. His tracks being half-assed and not up to par would be a logical answer, for instance. But I guess -as usual- not knowing the truth with certitude doesn't prevent you from battling for your personal agenda.

Oh, and if you're going to complain how the board is anti-Axl and pro Slash -as you constantly do-, you can try again to leave it. We're doing fine, honestly.

I don't have a personal agenda. One thing I have noticed is if you make a slight or any kind of criticism towards Slash you get vilified. In my opinion Slash is an excellent guitarist but his playing sounds so different these days from way back at the Illusion era. Maybe it's maturity I don't know, different guitars, tones, effects etc. Buckethead's playing on CD is phenomenal IMO, it's some of the best guitar on record I've heard for a while and for some reason Finck, Fortus, Buckethead and Stinson totally pulled it off for me, now it's not for everyone and some people dislike it it's all about personal taste. It really takes talent and an ear for the right musician who will fit the structure of a song when your preparing music after the departure of Slash in regards to CD. Edited by wkuk04

Yeah it's great. Fun lyrics, and a fun song.

Agreed. I've never understood the hate or even strong dislike. The chorus is catchy as hell and Slash's solo is excellent IMO.

Slash's Bad Apples and Don't Damn Me are vastly underrated, IMO. Both are brilliant. I'd go as far as saying that The Garden is underrated too, but I think most Gn'R hardcore fans appreciate that solo.

Never got too into The Garden. But Don't Damn Me is in my top 5 favorite GNR songs probably. Bad Apples is great.

Edited by OmarBradley

A lot of you are calling this a great song. Can you honestly say it's great and would it even be in your top 30 GnR songs? It isn't as good as anything on AFD and it's clearly not in the top 10 on the Illusions and it's maybe only better than Move to the City on Lies so there's one song its better than I guess haha.......... I think calling Bad Apples great is an extreme exageration.

That band had the aesthetic edge. It would not matter if they were playing sub par b-sides but there is something there the moment you hear Slash's Illusion tone. Bad Apples is probably an average hard rocker but aesthetically it is glorious. Why? Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy. I actually believe Shotgun Blues is cack but I am wiling to give it the reprieve because of Slash's guitar tone. I would not remove the song if I could rewrite history.

• Like 2

Yeah it's great. Fun lyrics, and a fun song.

Agreed. I've never understood the hate or even strong dislike. The chorus is catchy as hell and Slash's solo is excellent IMO.

Slash's Bad Apples and Don't Damn Me solos are vastly underrated, IMO. Both are brilliant. I'd go as far as saying that The Garden is underrated too, but I think most Gn'R hardcore fans appreciate that solo.

agree

Id like it if DIzzy wasn't jerking bad saloon piano all over the song . Also axl has too many overdubs

no overdubs here

what a terrific live version!

if you listen to the full concert (which is probably the finest GNR concert after steven left) you can hear axl and slash talking before the song and. Slash seems to ask axl to play the song and axl agrees to play the song. And it seems like 1) Axl is not really wiling to play the song but he plays anyway 2) Axl apparently doesnt know the lyrics very well at that point (he mentions it before the song) so its very likely that he didnt write them 3) Izzy knows the words perfectly and he sings back up vocals for pretty much the entire duration of the song so its very likely he wrote them

which makes me believe that 1) this song must have been written mostly without Axl, but Axl must have helped at some point because he is credited as a writer 2) the fact that Axl probably wasnt very much involved with the writing of that song probably explains why it was pretty much ignored on UYI Tour