Anyone Else Like BAD APPLES?

Bad Apples is a great fucking song. You're right that in the grand scheme of things its kind of a throwaway or filler. But the bottom line is we don't have much from GNR, so all that we do have that I see as good (filler or otherwise) is elevated in status. I'm obviously not gonna put it on a greatest hits for someone or say its one of their better songs, but to me there's enough elements in their to really say its a great song. Different level than a great song like Bad Obsession, but I don't feel I'm overrating it calling it great in that respect, if that makes sense.

Seems like many here consider it a filler. But I enjoy it a lot. Even my gf started singing to it(and she likes Bad Obsession too in the non popular GNR songs).

Bad Apples is one of the songs i do not like from the UYI's

Never liked when i first heard the album, never liked the song after all those years...

The whole song seems a bit unfinished to me

Yeah it's great. Fun lyrics, and a fun song.

Agreed. I've never understood the hate or even strong dislike. The chorus is catchy as hell and Slash's solo is excellent IMO.

Slash's Bad Apples and Don't Damn Me solos are vastly underrated, IMO. Both are brilliant. I'd go as far as saying that The Garden is underrated too, but I think most Gn'R hardcore fans appreciate that solo.

Don' Damn Me or The Garden guitar work is miles better than on BA

Not to mention they are better songs overall

Okay song. Maybe another excuse for Slash to execute his ego on his guitar. I liked the piano based blues stuff on Illusions like 14 Years & Dust & Bones. I believe not every Guns song needs a solo, I don't find Bad Apples all that serious, maybe if Guns made another record after Illusions with original material I think it needed to be more grittier compared to what Nirvana, Pearl Jam & Alice In Chains were producing.

Did Slash bang your relative or what? you hate him even more than Axl hates him... it's not healthy

A musicians job is to execute his skills on his instrument

jesus christ..... you ara truly worth a :facepalm:

Edited by Strange Broue

That band had the aesthetic edge. It would not matter if they were playing sub par b-sides but there is something there the moment you hear Slash's Illusion tone. Bad Apples is probably an average hard rocker but aesthetically it is glorious. Why? Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy. I actually believe Shotgun Blues is cack but I am wiling to give it the reprieve because of Slash's guitar tone. I would not remove the song if I could rewrite history.

great insights!

SB > BA, imho

I like it, great riff. It's a fun, funky song that I'd say would be a really cool addition to the set. Yeh, it wouldn't be as popular with some of the audience but I think bands get way too wrapped up in playing just the biggest songs. If you play 20 huge songs, you've allowed yourself the opportunity to play a few rarities and the crowd will go along with as long as it's a good song. Same goes for Dead horse, The garden, pretty tied up etc. What do you think people are more familiar with Dead Horse or Shacklers Revenge (both awesome songs, that I'd like to see in the set) yep, it's dead horse... even if they don't know the name, they've at least hear it in passing if they've ever listened to UYI I & II.

Edited by Tom2112

Great song.. Used to have the tshirt too

Whats it like?

oldskoolzone_19481358417025.jpg

Pretty cool. And whats more cool is that they made a shirt for that song.

I actually had a Coma shirt too.. Gn'R were fucking huge..

Pretty cool. And whats more cool is that they made a shirt for that song.

Guitar wise, the song is great. Some really great riffing that is really fun to play, and that solo is one of Slash's best.
Was cool to see them jamming on it on the UYI in Tokyo concert video during rehearsals, and its a shame it wasn't actually played in the set.

I think the main thing that lets it down are some of the silly lyrics, but even then, Axl delivers them great vocally.

Would love to hear either Axl or Slash play it live with either of their bands, if they don't ever play it together themselves.