Dear Fermanager,

I got the feeling Going Down might have been something did for a solo album and Ron came in to add a solo? Who is the drummer on the track? Maybe Axl also came down added backing vocals but he didnt use it for the solo album. Or its a bonafide GNR demo.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was intended for one of Tommy's solo records, but as soon as Axl added vocals, they decided to save it for a possible GN'R record. I guess it would be more interesting for Tommy to provide a whole song to GN'R than yet another song for one of his own records.
Not sure. I see Tommy as the new Izzy. A solo artist in his own right that could donate any song to GNR and Axl can work it up. Riad for example was a Tommy song, Axl fucked that up, right? Just joustin' i love riad.

Im drink sorry. Yes um i was sayin somethi g.

What we need is a Tommy song with Duff n Axl on vocals.

I got the feeling Going Down might have been something did for a solo album and Ron came in to add a solo? Who is the drummer on the track? Maybe Axl also came down added backing vocals but he didnt use it for the solo album. Or its a bonafide GNR demo.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was intended for one of Tommy's solo records, but as soon as Axl added vocals, they decided to save it for a possible GN'R record. I guess it would be more interesting for Tommy to provide a whole song to GN'R than yet another song for one of his own records.
Not sure. I see Tommy as the new Izzy. A solo artist in his own right that could donate any song to GNR and Axl can work it up. Riad for example was a Tommy song, Axl fucked that up, right? Just joustin' i love riad.

Im drink sorry. Yes um i was sayin somethi g.

What we need is a Tommy song with Duff n Axl on vocals.
Bruce the shit outta of it. They need a Born to Run meets Danzig. Hug it out bitches.
  • Like 2

Probably not the best tome to bring this up. But who knows they wouldn't come back for the next tour? Ron is keeping his hand in on his solo tour.

I think the fact Axl had another record virtually recorded with the lyrics and maybe some vocals and the idea of what the record is was really the problem for them. They were hired to tour a record written and made by two other guitarists and there's a second part to that.

But look at the positive side. Axl worked on this material for a decade with talented guitarists and is now in the process of touring the material.

It's not conventional and maybe a few people get the shaft but the upside is the music and it stays fresh. Remember it was their choice to leave. But they've had the GNR experience so they moved on. They toured a record they didnt make what did they think was going happen?

Well most lead singers of a band write music with the guitarists, so I don't think that would've been an unfair expectation to hold out for once the touring finished.

Until we have CD2 in our hands the alleged second record is just fan fiction. If Axl really had a second record ready to go, why wait 7+ years to release it? He had so many options. He could've put the second record out in 2011 instead of continuing to tour Chinese Democracy for the zillionth time. That would've meant by 2015 he could've made a record with the 09-14 lineup. Or alternatively, he could've released seven of the best CD outtakes and collaborated on five or six tracks with the Thal-Ashba-Fortus lineup.

But he chose to do none of those things. At this stage I'm sceptical a second album even exists. If it really existed why haven't we heard anything about it by now? No new songs played live, no word on any continued studio work, band mates dropping like flies.... Yeah, I'm sure this elusive second half is just around the corner.

I see itlike Dylan being in a stadium band, he already got the songs he wants to put out when they joined. CD is a record (a double) he started before they joined. Nothing is conventional. Its just the way it is. Like i said there is an up side.

Supposedly CD 2 was rejected in 2010. Too soon after perceived bomb of CD. They toured until CD was seen in better light by label.

Right now it hangs in balance. Is Axl Paul or Ray or Frank? Doesnt matter he gonna die.

There are positives to this situation. Axl has a freedom not enjoyed by many artists. They were afforded studio time to created basically two great cds of material, they can take their time.

Whether CD was completely cohesive doesnt take away from the quality and creativity on display track to track. Not to everyone's taste but the spin on classic rock is fresh, with one of the great vocalists/lyrics of our times.

Sure Axl is awarkward and has high ideals but in an ocean of artists being bullied into releasing tracks on a clock for their careers, one guy pushing in a different direction is no bad thing. Just let it play out.

Isn't that part of the problem though? He's not pushing in any direction. He's just doing nothing. Stagnating. Hardly admirable or exciting for fans. But it's his life and if he wants to do nothing then that's up to him. But I think a lot of folks would have more respect for him if he put GNR out of its misery, if he really has no hunger or ambition to move the band forward. How can he expect the fans to believe this is Guns N Roses when even Axl himself treats the band members as hired help who aren't even worth recording new material with? Way to make people feel valued. And he wonders why he can't keep a guitarist.

The way he treated Ron was a disgrace. Eight years of faithful service in the band, great with the fans, an absolute master at his craft and not once did Axl attempt to legitimise the 09-14 lineup by letting them collaborate on new material for the band. Axl Rose doesn't deserve to have musicians of that calibre in his "band."

That may or may not be true. Ron may have known the deal.

We know it's not conventional way to do things. Megadave has put out music despite the train wreck of line ups. Fair enough.

What I'm say let's except its not conventional. But what are the upsides? I would say it's quality of the material. Quite possibly we could easily have 4-5 UYI style cds. What Axl did was try to reinvent the wheel, reimagine GNR in a 90s style. Takes a bit more time, throws up a few problems. Whether it's be necessity or design, they dug a hole and had to work out of it. There was time and money for this, and a frontman who wasnt going to release just product to keep fans or label happy.

Of course if you think CD is shit, then yep what is he doing?!

yeah they could have put out 7 replica UYIs with Slash and Izzy and been as huge as Stones or DC. Thats what we lost. But they didnt want to do that.

but look at the upside, CD covered the distance in a more original way.not the same ole reunion story and mediocre cash in albums. You get this unique record and storied history.

It was a good thing to take on new influences and work to make it GNR enough to release. What you end up with is something a little more interesting. It may turn out to ust be the mid era of GNR. They could still reunion and crank out a Reunion record.

But seems like Axl has one more solid record. You know it's going to be great. Its not going to be auto pilot cookie cutter GNR, it's going to be worth the wait.

For the record I think CD is really good and imo very under rated for a variety of reasons but "auto pilot cookie cutter" is really no way to describe any gn'r effort pre CD. Also the assumption that they could have kept the same formula and then using the "auto pilot cookie cutter" description of what might have been had the originals stayed together and made more albums, let's not forget that each and every album original guns put out had at least one if not multiple classic songs that stood the test of time and will continue to be enjoyed by generations forever. I'll take that any day and I believe they could have continued to produce timeless classics. Not trying to start a fight. Just saying......✌

There are positives to this situation. Axl has a freedom not enjoyed by many artists. They were afforded studio time to created basically two great cds of material, they can take their time.

Whether CD was completely cohesive doesnt take away from the quality and creativity on display track to track. Not to everyone's taste but the spin on classic rock is fresh, with one of the great vocalists/lyrics of our times.

Sure Axl is awarkward and has high ideals but in an ocean of artists being bullied into releasing tracks on a clock for their careers, one guy pushing in a different direction is no bad thing. Just let it play out.

Isn't that part of the problem though? He's not pushing in any direction. He's just doing nothing. Stagnating. Hardly admirable or exciting for fans. But it's his life and if he wants to do nothing then that's up to him. But I think a lot of folks would have more respect for him if he put GNR out of its misery, if he really has no hunger or ambition to move the band forward. How can he expect the fans to believe this is Guns N Roses when even Axl himself treats the band members as hired help who aren't even worth recording new material with? Way to make people feel valued. And he wonders why he can't keep a guitarist.

The way he treated Ron was a disgrace. Eight years of faithful service in the band, great with the fans, an absolute master at his craft and not once did Axl attempt to legitimise the 09-14 lineup by letting them collaborate on new material for the band. Axl Rose doesn't deserve to have musicians of that calibre in his "band."

We know it's not conventional way to do things. Megadave has put out music despite the train wreck of line ups. Fair enough.

What I'm say let's except its not conventional. But what are the upsides? I would say it's quality of the material. Quite possibly we could easily have 4-5 UYI style cds. What Axl did was try to reinvent the wheel, reimagine GNR in a 90s style. Takes a bit more time, throws up a few problems. Whether it's be necessity or design, they dug a hole and had to work out of it. There was time and money for this, and a frontman who wasnt going to release just product to keep fans or label happy.

yeah they could have put out 7 replica UYIs with Slash and Izzy and been as huge as Stones or DC. Thats what we lost. But they didnt want to do that.

but look at the upside, CD covered the distance in a more original way.not the same ole reunion story and mediocre cash in albums. You get this unique record and storied history.

It was a good thing to take on new influences and work to make it GNR enough to release. What you end up with is something a little more interesting. It may turn out to ust be the mid era of GNR. They could still reunion and crank out a Reunion record.

But seems like Axl has one more solid record. You know it's going to be great. Its not going to be auto pilot cookie cutter GNR, it's going to be worth the wait.

For the record I think CD is really good and imo very under rated for a variety of reasons but "auto pilot cookie cutter" is really no way to describe any gn'r effort pre CD. Also the assumption that they could have kept the same formula and then using the "auto pilot cookie cutter" description of what might have been had the originals stayed together and made more albums, let's not forget that each and every album original guns put out had at least one if not multiple classic songs that stood the test of time and will continue to be enjoyed by generations forever. I'll take that any day and I believe they could have continued to produce timeless classics. Not trying to start a fight. Just saying......✌
ima lover not fighter know what i mean. I guess one of the reasons they split is because they couldnt find the next timeless classic so easy. Im glad they didnt autopilot it. But the assumption that every record they would put out in the next 10 years would be as classic as AFD/UYI is just dreaming. They quit while the going was good, Axl stayed for the beating. It was going to happen if you go that route. Stones, Aerosmith, ACDC all came a cropper now and then. Who cares. Wed probably love it anyway. But that isnt why CD happened.

But GNR went the Zeppelin Doors route. Thats the brightside for me anyway. Others just see what coulda been.

Edited by wasted

ima lover not fighter know what i mean. I guess one of the reasons they split is because they couldnt find the next timeless classic so easy. Im glad they didnt autopilot it. But the assumption that every record they would put out in the next 10 years would be as classic as AFD/UYI is just dreaming. They quit while the going was good, Axl stayed for the beating. It was going to happen if you go that route. Stones, Aerosmith, ACDC all came a cropper now and then. Who cares. Wed probably love it anyway. But that isnt why CD happened.

But GNR went the Zeppelin Doors route. Thats the brightside for me anyway. Others just see what coulda been.

Eventually those who liked Chinese will probably get CD ll in the next few years. I think I'd feel much better with 30 songs to listen to from the new era instead of 15.

I don't think it's naive to think the material on CD ll is gonna be just as good as Chinese so even with no updates I kinda know it's coming.

Edited by Rovim

Eventually those who liked Chinese will probably get CD ll in the next few years. I think I'd feel much better with 30 songs to listen to from the new era instead of 15.

I don't think it's naive to think the material on CD ll is gonna be just as good as Chinese so even with no updates I kinda know it's coming.

Terminator V.

Rock in Rio 2021.

Chinese Democracy II.

Alright.

All night.

Thanks for answering fan questions Fernando, and congratulations on soon becoming a Dad :) Somewhere in this thread there was a question about Guns releasing isolated tracks from the old albums. I'd love to see that happen just so Evader can work his magic and release more remixes.

Also loved the idea of fans getting to vote on songs to be played in a setlist. If this happens please play fairly and only include the rarities ;) If you put WTTJ or SCOM in the poll then the whole idea is moot. If you limit the choices to only the rarities like "Everything", "Dust In The Wind", "Goodnight Tonight" etc that would be fuckin awesome as we need higher quality recordings of these.

Thanks

Will

So richard fortus wont share the stage with slash out of respect for Axl. But Duff is free to share the stage with both of them and aparently Axl and Slash have been speaking for two years.

Guns n Roses logic... i dont get it.

Probably because you've associated the word logic with Guns N Roses. duh

Haven't read thru almost any of the thread, but I'm anticipating some exciting news about the inevitable reunion when Fernando comes back to chat again.

So richard fortus wont share the stage with slash out of respect for Axl. But Duff is free to share the stage with both of them and aparently Axl and Slash have been speaking for two years.

Where has it been said they've been talking for two years?

Slash2baz mentioned it, he's pretty close with Slash, we've gotten lots of Slash-related exclusives from him.

Slash2baz mentioned it, he's pretty close with Slash, we've gotten lots of Slash-related exclusives from him.

If that were true, then why did Fortus recently avoid Slash out of "respect for Axl?"

Edited by Rustycage

If that were true, then why did Fortus recently avoid Slash out of "respect for Axl?"

Axl's a private guy, if he was talking to Slash I doubt he'd feel the need to tell Fortus immediately. Maybe the reconciliation isn't 100% yet :shrugs:

Axl's a private guy, if he was talking to Slash I doubt he'd feel the need to tell Fortus immediately. Maybe the reconciliation isn't 100% yet :shrugs:

I get it. I know you want to believe him badly. I've never really cared for "insiders" from either camp, to be honest.

I get it. I know you want to believe him badly. I've never really cared for "insiders" from either camp, to be honest.

He runs Slash France, he's brought us legit news time and time again, why not believe him?

He runs Slash France, he's brought us legit news time and time again, why not believe him?

Because only Slash and Axl knows what is going on between Slash and Axl?

He's my buddy and we just talked about it. He doesnt know more about this than us. What he meant was an assumption based on the fact that they dont sue each other anymore for each live release and all. But he didnt confirm the fact that he knows for sure from Slash's camp that they're talking or are friends or whatever.

• Like 3

Because only Slash and Axl knows what is going on between Slash and Axl?

Not saying he knows everything that goes on between them, but if Slash told him they started talking again 2 years ago it wouldn't be out of the question. In 2012 we still got the RRHOF debacle and the "he hates my guts" comment, but maybe something changed the following year.

He's my buddy and we just talked about it. He doesnt know more about this than us. What he meant was an assumption based on the fact that they dont sue each other anymore for each live release and all. But he didnt confirm the fact that he knows for sure from Slash's camp that they're talking or are friends or whatever.

That's cool, did you ask if Slash was holding up Appetite for Democracy at all?