The 5 Greatest Voices in the History of Rock Music

I would not even include Axl in a top 20 to be honest. His discography is minuscule. Little Richard surely wins any list of this description, hands down. Elvis will be up there. Nobody is going to moan if Elvis clinches it. And where are the bloody Beatles? Lennon surely would make a top 5, if not Paul also. What a disgrace of a list.

What an insult. What a crime against Little Richard and Elvis. There should be an UN resolution against these sort of lopsided lists.

Roy Orbison is the best.

Would not get many complaints from me.

I'm not sure if you are getting the concept. It's about voice, so saying you wouldn't put Axl in the top 20 because he only has 6 albums is like saying the Henessey Venom GT isn't the fasted car in the world because they only made a few(It was in 2014, I'm sure it's beaten by now, but you get the point.) Clearly, using your logic, the Ford F-150 is faster because there are far more produced and sold every year. Flawless logic, bravo.

Axl was and will always be the most unique and best voice in rock for me, I understand it's a matter of taste, but play "It taste good don't it" (the one where he talks about blowing out his voice and goes insane at the end, not the Japan one) and I think anyone who is a fan of hard rock or metal could rightfully laugh in your face if you don't give him props for that. If you made a list of people not possessed by the devil that could make that sound alive in the world in the past 25 years, it would be a short list. Anyone who doesn't rank him in the top 10 is butthurt over something, never heard him, or is a One Direction Lady GaGa type.

On a side not, the guy who wrote it is a jackass, Not quite sure how Brian Johnson showcased his voice on Highway to Hell, but wtf ever.

How is Axl 'the most unique'? There are clear prescedents for his style, Robert Plant, the guy from Nazareth, quite a few others.

• Like 1

I like his vocal, he expresses everything rock stands for in his voice.

To me Lanegan's voice summed up a generation.

Patton just impressed me with the kind of horror scat style. Hes like the Zappa lineage of rock.

Axl's voice is best of that era for me.

Cilla just died, so one for the ladies in the house.

I would not even include Axl in a top 20 to be honest. His discography is minuscule. Little Richard surely wins any list of this description, hands down. Elvis will be up there. Nobody is going to moan if Elvis clinches it. And where are the bloody Beatles? Lennon surely would make a top 5, if not Paul also. What a disgrace of a list.

What an insult. What a crime against Little Richard and Elvis. There should be an UN resolution against these sort of lopsided lists.

Roy Orbison is the best.

I'm not sure if you are getting the concept. It's about voice, so saying you wouldn't put Axl in the top 20 because he only has 6 albums is like saying the Henessey Venom GT isn't the fasted car in the world because they only made a few(It was in 2014, I'm sure it's beaten by now, but you get the point.) Clearly, using your logic, the Ford F-150 is faster because there are far more produced and sold every year. Flawless logic, bravo.

Axl was and will always be the most unique and best voice in rock for me, I understand it's a matter of taste, but play "It taste good don't it" (the one where he talks about blowing out his voice and goes insane at the end, not the Japan one) and I think anyone who is a fan of hard rock or metal could rightfully laugh in your face if you don't give him props for that. If you made a list of people not possessed by the devil that could make that sound alive in the world in the past 25 years, it would be a short list. Anyone who doesn't rank him in the top 10 is butthurt over something, never heard him, or is a One Direction Lady GaGa type.

On a side not, the guy who wrote it is a jackass, Not quite sure how Brian Johnson showcased his voice on Highway to Hell, but wtf ever.

There is simply no comparison between Axl and guys like Little Richard, Elvis and James Brown. In fact I refuse to talk of Axl in the same breath as those guys.

Roy Orbison is the best.

There is simply no comparison between Axl and guys like Little Richard, Elvis and James Brown. In fact I refuse to talk of Axl in the same breath as those guys.

But it's fun comparing Axl to Elvis.

Edited by Rovim

Roy Orbison is the best.

But it's fun comparing Axl to Elvis.

Elvis was cooler, prettier, sang better, meant more, had better hair...and when he died he was fatter, richer, arroganter, more right wing, he beats Axl in every regard, he even fell from grace better, Dies' is absolutely correct, there is no comparison.

How is Axl 'the most unique'? There are clear prescedents for his style, Robert Plant, the guy from Nazareth, quite a few others.

And yet he doesn't really sound like them. Billy Squier sounds a lot more like Robert Plant than Axl does. Rose has a unique voice. That doesn't mean he's the best though. I still say Roy Orbison is the best. Very unique, incredibly powerful, and stunningly emotional.

• Like 3

There's no one like Axl. He the one from the 90s I'd pick.

But the problem Axl and GNR have is the culture sees Kurt and Nirvana as 90s and Motley and Van Halen as 80s. Axl and Guns fall between two stools. They came in late 80s as the Led Zepp of the 80s. But then for a brief moment looked like they were going to own the 90s, but maybe they didnt, maybe they failed i dont know.

But for me Axl, Dylan, Patton, Lanegan, Cobain is where it's at. You can have the 90s when you pry my jauniced nicotine stained hologram baseball mit of it yo.

• Like 1

As far as unique goes you don't get more unique than Johnny Rotten. Unique doesn't really mean you can hit tonsa notes etc etc, it just means your way fuckin' different, there are very few vocal styles that are without prescedent. Kate Bush is incredibly unique. Roy Orbison you could argue, is incredibly unique, particularly in his field. But then fuckin' Daniel Johnston is unique, Gibby Haynes is unique, Ian Brown is very unique, he sings like a choirboy almost, a manchunian choirboy. Not in the sense of it being pitch perfect but i mean that kind sounds like a little boy, its genderless sounding.

Roy Orbison is the best.

That's hilarious because there are 10,000 people that can imitate Elvis and the affect he put on his voice. Outside of his talk singing like in "It's so easy" who can pull off the vocals? Elvis is a legend, the best vocalist ever? Um.. no.

Axl as a singer is undoubtable great. But the pissing contest might be worth it. Mine goes in two directions, gin and stds stylee.

It's a matter of taste. I just don't see how someone can listen to Live at the Ritz, or "It taste good don't it" and not acknowledge that is something special, unless, as I said they are butt hurt.

And yet he doesn't really sound like them. Billy Squier sounds a lot more like Robert Plant than Axl does. Rose has a unique voice. That doesn't mean he's the best though. I still say Roy Orbison is the best. Very unique, incredibly powerful, and stunningly emotional.

Not really sure how someone could say Axl sounds like Plant, but again, it's a matter of taste, and not worth a pissing match.

That's hilarious because there are 10,000 people that can imitate Elvis and the affect he put on his voice. Outside of his talk singing like in "It's so easy" who can pull off the vocals? Elvis is a legend, the best vocalist ever? Um.. no.

And never heard an Elvis interpreter do it right yet. Yes they can replicate the cliches, the ''u-hu's, etc. but there is literally no one who has replicated the soul, power and control that Presley possessed. This incidentally is on a whole different pedestal from Axl,

• Like 1

As far as unique goes you don't get more unique than Johnny Rotten. Unique doesn't really mean you can hit tonsa notes etc etc, it just means your way fuckin' different, there are very few vocal styles that are without prescedent. Kate Bush is incredibly unique. Roy Orbison you could argue, is incredibly unique, particularly in his field. But then fuckin' Daniel Johnston is unique, Gibby Haynes is unique, Ian Brown is very unique, he sings like a choirboy almost, a manchunian choirboy. Not in the sense of it being pitch perfect but i mean that kind sounds like a little boy, its genderless sounding.

I guess problem with unique is that suddenly everyone is great, which true. But then you start trying use to objective measurements and its like mines longest but look at the range of that one.

Its split into voices and singers. Theres some great voices that have zero range or even cant sing in a traditional way. Some guys have singing chops but sound a bit generic or soulless. They can hit high notes, pitch perfect but it's Iced Earth, its more like a singing demo that hearing something that resonates with you.

So need to define parameters of this pointless search for world's greatest singer. Or maybe just list your favs but mine are better is the way to generate more advertising clicks.

Edited by wasted

And never heard an Elvis interpreter do it right yet. Yes they can replicate the cliches, the ''u-hu's, etc. but there is literally no one who has replicated the soul, power and control that Presley possessed. This incidentally is on a whole different pedestal from Axl,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkMVscR5YOo

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xdYPTIQf6KM

You could say the exact same thing about people who imitate Axls voice.

Yeah but no one has suggested that Axl is particularly widely immitated.

Yeah but no one has suggested that Axl is particularly widely immitated.
Not nearly as much as Elvis for sure, but theres quite a few GNR tributes out there and they might have slight, slight resemblence of his voice, but none come even close to having a handle on how to do Axl. Edited by ChineseIRS
  • Like 1

Yeah Elvis and Axl have a very similar vocal range...