Anybody know why they performed UTLH and You're Crazy on late show?

good question

I just checked and the late show thing was 8 months before GNR Lies release (nov 29, 1988)

03.31.88 - The Late Show, Los Angeles, CA
set: You're Crazy, Used To Love Her
audio/video recording?: audio
notes: GN'R's first late night TV show performance.

from http://www.gnrontour.com/setlistalm88.htm

I guess they probably were planning the lies release for april or may and then (as usual) it got postponed? If I am not mistaken Axl mentioned the release of Lies (which by then he named as "The sex, the drugs, the violence, the shocking truth") in many 1987 shows.

If you follow the GNR timeline you will see that -- this is really funny -- they recorded the sweet child o mine video just 2 weeks after the late show appearance...

04.11.88 - Ballroom, Huntington Park, CA
set: Sweet Child O' Mine
notes: This was the video shoot for 'Sweet Child O' Mine.'

from http://www.gnrontour.com/setlistalm88.htm

So maybe they were planning to release Lies much sooner (april, may?) and maybe they postponed because Sweet Child O Mine video exploded and they decided to promote Appetite again?

The fact is that they were playing the new songs from Lies (Patience, Used to Love Her, One in a Million) basically 13 months before the release of Lies! First (known) time they played them was in October 1987 on the CBGB show. And then they added Patience and Used to Love Her to their setlist in December 1987 (http://www.gnrontour.com/setlistalm87.htm).

As a side note, One in a Million never really got into the regular setlist (it was only played live twice, I guess) probably because of all the controversy. And Youre Crazy was already on the band setlist because it was an Appetite song, but then in 1988 they started doing the slow/fast version (as in the Felt Forum show) and then in late 1988 they were doing it slow all the way (as in the japan/australia shows)

Its interesting to note that they didnt play Patience and used to Love Her on the Ritz (feb 1988) show, probably because it was on TV and they probably decided to focus on Appetite material which was the record everybody could buy at the time.

One other question -- which I had never had a proper answer -- is how come the Late Show was the ONLY TV SHOW that GNR performed live at? Isnt it strange? Shouldnt they be all over Letterman and other shows? I never understood how come they were not on any other TV show...

Edited by ludurigan
  • Like 3

Top 5 classic GNR performances by far. Maybe their absolute peak. They looked cool as fuck and sounded ace. Too bad the video rip floating around misses lots of frames during You're Crazy.

• Like 3

Top 5 classic GNR performances by far. Maybe their absolute peak. They looked cool as fuck and sounded ace. Too bad the video rip floating around misses lots of frames during You're Crazy.

agree!

the acoustic-electric combination is really fucking nice!

I'm glad they played the songs that they did. The only thing I would change about this performance is the video quality, like others have said. I actually made mp3s of this performance because I have always loved both of these versions. Used to love her is arguably the best performance of that song ever, and you're crazy is good because it is PG. Like many of you, I have little ones, and that song will always get me in trouble if it is on and they are around. So this version is a really nice compromise.

It's kinda cool though. Fits the "slow down" vibe of the unplugged You're Crazy.

As a side note, One in a Million never really got into the regular setlist (it was only played live twice, I guess)

Actually, we know of three times it was played live.

I agree with the good people, that appearance at The Late Show was legendary.

Wow I didnt know that! I know they played it on...

CBGBs 1987

Limelight 1988

Which was the third time? Is there audio available?

As a side note, One in a Million never really got into the regular setlist (it was only played live twice, I guess)

CBGBs 1987

Limelight 1988

Mears in July 30, 1988.

CBGBs 1987

Limelight 1988

Mears in July 30, 1988.

wow that is great :headbang:

any source for that?

any audio available?

do you know if they played acoustic style or electric?

thanks

There are no full setlists for that show, and only partial audio that does not include OIAM. At least one audience member (actually, she was an Izzy groupie) can guarantee that One In A Million was played at the show (she wrote this down back in 1988, this is not her trying to remember back now), and she speculated that the band wanted to test out some songs for the EP that was to be released later that year. I don't know if they played it electric or acoustic.

There are many incomplete or missing setlists from the period, and the chances are they played this song more times, too. It's funny how Izzy would later claim that everybody in the band was against releasing that song, yet both Duff and Slash defended the song adamantly after its release and Izzy had himself played it live at least three times, but as he said "[Axl's] out of control and I'm just the fucking guitar player". :D

There are no full setlists for that show, and only partial audio that does not include OIAM. At least one audience member (actually, she was an Izzy groupie) can guarantee that One In A Million was played at the show (she wrote this down back in 1988, this is not her trying to remember back now), and she speculated that the band wanted to test out some songs for the EP that was to be released later that year. I don't know if they played it electric or acoustic.

There are many incomplete or missing setlists from the period, and the chances are they played this song more times, too. It's funny how Izzy would later claim that everybody in the band was against releasing that song, yet both Duff and Slash defended the song adamantly after its release and Izzy had himself played it live at least three times, but as he said "[Axl's] out of control and I'm just the fucking guitar player". :D

oh i see... yes it is somewhat likely that they have played it more times...

i also have heard Slash saying many times that he never felt confortable with the song

but they all look confortable on CBGBs playing it i guess

about izzys quote, there is a Keith Richards quote from his recent interview on Esquire where he says basically the same thing that Izzy said about Axl (but he is talking about Mick) using other words...

You can't force a frontman to do what he don't want to do. We have to stroke him. And keep him 
happy. You need the spark from Mick really to do it.

http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/music/interviews/a36899/keith-richards-interview-0915/

You are right, I was wrong in saying that Slash defended the song. He has always been pretty consistent about disliking parts of the song. Duff, on the other hand, seemed to change his tune a bit as he got older, or perhaps as the criticism increased. But yeah, they all seemed to enjoy it at CBGBs :D

agree!

Who is that singing for them? he sounds fucking awesome!

• Like 3

agree!

its bill, the best singer ever!

Performances like this make Slash a legend. The feel he had in that performance was incredible. Axl sounded as good as he did on the album. Duff and Izzy looked cool as shit and Adler just seemed so happy.

Could not agree more.

agree!

ZING! :lol:

agree!

Oh! that guy singing for them is Axl Rose. My all time favorite singer/frontman. I have no idea what happened to him. Where did he go? The trouble for me is that I can´t figure out who that bloated new guy singing like Mickey Mouse is.

Oh! that guy singing for them is Axl Rose. My all time favorite singer/frontman. I have no idea what happened to him. Where did he go? The trouble for me is that I can´t figure out who that bloated new guy singing like Mickey Mouse is.

We all get old. It is a sad part of life.