Can we comprehend Axl a little better…

Ender04

The good ol' Myers-Brigg personality test... I think every time I took that (had to do it multiple times due to various classes) I got a different result. I am pretty sure it wasn't because my personality kept changing. I also had to do the Keirsey Temperament test at least once for a class (I remember this one because it was much more flattering, but I wasn't so sure I agreed with the description). Then, of course, there are the many bastardized versions of those I've seen due to "professional development" (my favorite was finding out what color I was and the fake tarot card that went with it- who wouldn't want their personality represented by a little pointy hatted person on brightly colored paper?).

That aside.... it looks like you put a lot of work into this and I appreciate it. I find psychology fascinating and will find it interesting if a good discussion comes out of this.

• Like 1

I took an official MBTI test once, and some different free ones on the internet in the course of the last 15 years. My results were always consistent. I never took Keirsey. But I also did a colortest, that didn´t work for me eihter.

Edited by Ender04

I suppose I am pretty evenly balanced in most areas so it only takes choosing a different response in places where I wavered before to change my type. Or I have a personality disorder. :shrugs:

It took me longer than I would like to admit to figuring out what that color test i did was- True Colors. I am not finding it free anywhere online, but didn't really look all that hard either. I did learn that apparently some think you can determine someone's personality by the color they like.

I think I am now curious how personality types correspond to fan's reactions to GNR history and present silence.

I suppose I am pretty evenly balanced in most areas so it only takes choosing a different response in places where I wavered before to change my type. Or I have a personality disorder. :shrugs:

I myself score very close in the middle of J and P. So I´m pretty flexible there. Still, I´m sure to be a J. Since it comes relatively easy I often choose to behave P when that's opportune. Still I strongly prefer a organized lifestyle.

You´ll only be able to really change your type if you manage to change your natural tendency to a certain type of behavior. Otherwise, you´ll just be a type X forcing yourself to act like type Y (that sounds exhausting!). One could be forced to change preferred behavior pretty consequently by a demanding environment (for example to act extraverted whilst being an introvert), like in a disfunctional work- or family situation. But in these cases people go back to their naturally preferred behavior as soon as they get to a different context.

I think I am now curious how personality types correspond to fan's reactions to GNR history and present silence.

Sorry to say I can’t satisfy your curiosity about fan-frustration as frustration lives in all of us. ;) But I’m pretty sure there is a difference per type of what things frustrates us most.

Edited by Ender04

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think you put forward an interesting explanation, OP, but for me it's way too simplistic. Axl seems like a very complex person. I'm not sure he really fits into a type as such!

I do agree with you: People are complex and these typology-systems can never capture a person as a whole. Everybody has got their own uniqueness. Still I think the INTP discription fits Axl generally well. And so to me it's usefull. Anyway, it was fun figuring out.

My story was a bit one-sited towards all the complaints that can be found here. I could have choosen a different approach.

I think you put forward an interesting explanation, OP, but for me it's way too simplistic. Axl seems like a very complex person. I'm not sure he really fits into a type as such!

I do agree with you: People are complex and these typology-systems can never capture a person as a whole. Everybody has got their own uniqueness. Still I think the INTP discription fits Axl generally well. And so to me it's usefull. Anyway, it was fun figuring out.

My story was a bit one-sited towards all the complaints that can be found here. I could have choosen a different approach.

I don't think you have done anything wrong!

Just feel the explanation too simplistic. We don't really know that much about Axl's formative years, apart from what he has divulged... There may be much more. I just wary of pigeon-holing him.

Am very interested in what makes people tick.

Edited by BetterDay7
  • Like 1

Your descriptive view strongly resembles incarceration syndrome. Its not that I dont agree with profiling. I am a single woman and I can assure you I firmly believe in profiling however with you not knowing him I cant see where I have any voice to agree or disagree with your findings as I do know him my self. Axl that the world sees is not the same as William Rose that is in his heart and soul. He is one man on stage and in the public eye. He is another man when he is free in his own world without the constant view of people he has never met.

It is easy to define anyone in anyway we want but does not mean that it is realistic to truth. People who are reclusive are that way for the most because it is safer in the world we hide in rather than the open world which can be a very cold unfeeling place. I see him as strong man who found fame as a kid and had no freaking idea how to handle it combined with the fucked up shit that happened to him and his siblings as a kid. Combine all that shit and try to find some kind of normalcy in life and all i can say is good luck. Shit like that will drop the strongest person right down on all fours.

He seems happy inside now no more internal war and from all i can see he is trying to show the world that he has matured, changed and looked the demons right in the eye with squared shoulders and taken back control of his life. all i can say about that is CONGRATS thats some hard shit to rise above.

• Like 1

Aside from little jaunts to South America or Vegas to top up his bank account, Axl, the last rockstar, the great white hope turned great white whale has spent the last 5 years essentially sitting on his arse.

Wow. Please can we discuss the innerworkings of the mind of this fascinating individual? I long to understaaaand. Oh unknowable universe!

Your descriptive view strongly resembles incarceration syndrome. Its not that I dont agree with profiling. I am a single woman and I can assure you I firmly believe in profiling however with you not knowing him I cant see where I have any voice to agree or disagree with your findings as I do know him my self. Axl that the world sees is not the same as William Rose that is in his heart and soul. He is one man on stage and in the public eye. He is another man when he is free in his own world without the constant view of people he has never met.

It is easy to define anyone in anyway we want but does not mean that it is realistic to truth. People who are reclusive are that way for the most because it is safer in the world we hide in rather than the open world which can be a very cold unfeeling place. I see him as strong man who found fame as a kid and had no freaking idea how to handle it combined with the fucked up shit that happened to him and his siblings as a kid. Combine all that shit and try to find some kind of normalcy in life and all i can say is good luck. Shit like that will drop the strongest person right down on all fours.

He seems happy inside now no more internal war and from all i can see he is trying to show the world that he has matured, changed and looked the demons right in the eye with squared shoulders and taken back control of his life. all i can say about that is CONGRATS thats some hard shit to rise above.

I have been thinking about your post, while busy doing other things. I don't grasp all you are saying 100%, due to the fact English is not my native language. (It´s pretty good, but sometimes just not good enough).

It seems you feel I pigeonholed Axl with my post and that I shouldn't have done that.

I'm very aware that I don't know him, and that therefor my view on him is very limited. I'm guessing on basis of what I see in the media, trying to peel the obvious bullshit off. I know there is a difference between what we see in public and the man he is in private. So my 'analyses' can be completely wrong. I'm not saying I know the truth.

What I seek was a way the find an explanation for the choices he made so far. To understand. Just because I'm interested and because I thought it was fun doing.

There is so much complaining about the choices he made and the things he has done/not done. I thought it was nice to look at those things and try to see them in a different light. I think the INTP is beautiful :)

Anyway, thanks for reading and replying ^_^

I have been thinking about your post, while busy doing other things. I don't grasp all you are saying 100%, due to the fact English is not my native language. (It´s pretty good, but sometimes just not good enough).

It seems you feel I pigeonholed Axl with my post and that I shouldn't have done that.

I'm very aware that I don't know him, and that therefor my view on him is very limited. I'm guessing on basis of what I see in the media, trying to peel the obvious bullshit off. I know there is a difference between what we see in public and the man he is in private. So my 'analyses' can be completely wrong. I'm not saying I know the truth.

What I seek was a way the find an explanation for the choices he made so far. To understand. Just because I'm interested and because I thought it was fun doing.

There is so much complaining about the choices he made and the things he has done/not done. I thought it was nice to look at those things and try to see them in a different light. I think the INTP is beautiful :)

Anyway, thanks for reading and replying ^_^

I thought the read was very interesting. I actually am the type person that deals only in black and white grey areas do not exist in my world. In short I deal only with the facts in life. My reason for posting was because i believe that Axl Rose on stage on tour is different from the Axl Rose on a daily basis. I think that the bad boy image sales records much better than a man who a normal joe when outside the view of the public. I wondered how your report or findings could be accurate if it was based of public eye Axl rather than behind closed door Axl. The fact that you did do the report was awesome and very interesting.

Incarceration Syndrome is the cousin to prisoner of war syndrome. It is said that after 18 months of being confined and told how to act walk and talk in short how to live that the person who is being controlled looses the ability to make choices for him self. Simple things that we take for granted like spur of the moment choices to roll with our friends or pay bills and so on are greatly challenged by the side effects of incarceration syndrome. It can also come from being reclusive. Look it up and see what you think on a comparison to the report you gave . I think you will find it fascinating to read and to incorporate in to the reporting formula you used to start the post.

• Like 1

Personally I have never bought into psychological profiles from filling out questionnaires. Too simplistic. When I was in college I took a graduate level course on psychiatric nursing which essentially rebuked all the stuff they taught in basic psychology. So I never understood. Why they taught it in the first place. The most important thing I did learn was that there are different frameworks. And they are all essentially theories. Personally I believe we are all souls having a human experience. It is easy to try and psychoanalyze other people so that we can feel better about ourselves.

• Like 1

Personally I have never bought into psychological profiles from filling out questionnaires. Too simplistic. When I was in college I took a graduate level course on psychiatric nursing which essentially rebuked all the stuff they taught in basic psychology. So I never understood. Why they taught it in the first place. The most important thing I did learn was that there are different frameworks. And they are all essentially theories. Personally I believe we are all souls having a human experience. It is easy to try and psychoanalyze other people so that we can feel better about ourselves.

i may have to agree with you on some level. there are classic cases of mental issues like depression anxiety ocd things of this nature that are just black and white text book cases. but they can also be considered personal demons for lack of better verbiage. the human mind is a odd little thing some of the i can say i would never entertain the thought of diving into like dalmer manson and the type people that would harm and other person. those minds i dont understand and to be honest i would not want to even get close enough to explore.

but a person that battles and fights to have a better way of life and rises up above fear and depression one that fights to be strong rather than weak i see nothing but opportunity for learning and sharing and helping others come out of dark places that hold them prisoner. just a thought :)

Jared Padelecki who plays Sam Winchester on SUPERNATURAL has been very open about his battles with depression and has really done alot to reach out to troubled young people. A great spiritual teacher named James Van Praagh said some serial killers who are executed on death row do not cross over and will latch themselves onto someone with a weak mind. kinda creepy but makes alot of sense.