Hitchhiking robot that relied on human kindness found decapitated

SoulMonster

A hitchhiking robot that relied on the kindness of strangers to travel the world has been found with its head and arms ripped off, just two weeks into its first American tour.

The child-sized robot, known as hitchBOT, was found damaged beyond repair on the streets of Philadelphia early on Saturday. It had earlier hitched across the entire of Canada for 26 days and completed a hitchhiking adventure through Germany.

A research project from Ryerson University in Toronto, Canada, hitchBOT had hoped to make it across the USA to San Francisco. It relied on strangers to pick it up and leave it in a place where it would be spotted by other friendly drivers to allow it to continue its adventure.

Wearing a red LED grin and its trademark yellow wellies, hitchBOT had "San Francisco or bust" taped on its bucket-shaped head. It was fitted with GPS and could hold basic conversations with its travelling companions. A camera regularly snapped photos to document its adventures. It was powered by solar panels and could also be charged using an in-car cigarette lighter.

"We have no interest in pressing charges or finding the people who vandalised hitchBOT; we wish to remember the good times, and we encourage hitchBOT's friends and fans to do the same," the robot's creators wrote in an update.

The robot started its journey across the USA on 17 July in Salem, Massachusetts and visited Boston and New York City before being found dismembered on the streets of Philadelphia. A photo on Twitter showed hitchBOT lying in the dirt with its head missing and arms ripped off.

Meet HitchBOTRyerson University

The robot had hoped to tick off items on its "bucket list" while touring America -- including hearing jazz music in New Orleans, experiencing Las Vegas, and enjoying the magic of Walt Disney World in Florida.

"I hope that my hitchhiking trip will allow me to meet many interesting people, see beautiful places, and learn more about humanity," hitchBOT explained on an FAQ page published prior to its US adventure.

The robot's whereabouts are currently unknown, with a dead battery preventing it from being tracked using GPS. Its creators said they would look at what can be learned from hitchBOT's destruction and plan "future adventures for robots and humans".

Source: http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2015-08/03/hitchbot-usa-vandalised-philadelphia

That is funny and sad.

Man, I really hate it when people shit all over other folk's good intentions for no apparent reason. Nobody gained anything by destroying it, how disappointing.

If the poor mite walked to Scotland you lot would have unintentionally bored him with socio-politico discussions while feeding him battered bits of things which had been battered (which were battered long ago so they have lost their atomic structure, because of the batterisation process - which followed on from something which had been prior battered ontop of been battered previously).

I mean he was not battered. He died with his little boots god bless him but he did not die in a vat of chip oil.

• Like 1

Oh come on, how many of you if you were in your teens and saw a little dustbin on wheels with little yellow booties on rolling its way down the street wouldn't chuck something at it, boot it over, roll it down a hill or something if you thought no one was looking? :lol: I'd probably be suss someone was watching actually, that or think it's some kind of mad acid flashback :lol: I'd fuckin' kidnap it! People don't suck, people are cool, i don't trust a peoples that would let a fuckin' thing like that survive cross country, I'd be concerned about the social fabric of that country, where are these places that the kids have had the soul sucked out of em that badly that they don't have that healthy sense of mischief, where is this foreign land where the kids are big bright round eyed boy and girl scouts with bright stripey tops on that go around helping those that they meet as they pass, it's not fuckin' natural :lol:

• Like 2

Oh come on, how many of you if you were in your teens and saw a little dustbin on wheels with little yellow booties on rolling its way down the street wouldn't chuck something at it, boot it over, roll it down a hill or something if you thought no one was looking? :lol: I'd probably be suss someone was watching actually, that or think it's some kind of mad acid flashback :lol: I'd fuckin' kidnap it! People don't suck, people are cool, i don't trust a peoples that would let a fuckin' thing like that survive cross country, I'd be concerned about the social fabric of that country, where are these places that the kids have had the soul sucked out of em that badly that they don't have that healthy sense of mischief, where is this foreign land where the kids are big bright round eyed boy and girl scouts with bright stripey tops on that go around helping those that they meet as they pass, it's not fuckin' natural :lol:

So you don't trust Germans and Canadians, then :D

Mischief is one thing -- and I did plenty -- but I don't think I would have destroyed a robot just for the hell of it :shrugs:. I didn't smash car windows just for fun, either. You make it soujd like you're some curious chimpanzee who have to break apart nice things. All brawn, no brain.

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 1

Mischief is one thing -- and I did plenty -- but I don't think I would have destroyed a robot just for the hell of it :shrugs:

I once set a Robin Reliant on fire if that counts? :lol:
  • Like 1

Mischief is one thing -- and I did plenty -- but I don't think I would have destroyed a robot just for the hell of it :shrugs:. I didn't smash car windows just for fun, either. You make it soujd like you're some curious chimpanzee who have to break apart nice things. All brawn, no brain.

Very little brawn either, thats the tragic part :lol:

Mischief is one thing -- and I did plenty -- but I don't think I would have destroyed a robot just for the hell of it :shrugs:

I once set a Robin Reliant on fire if that counts? :lol:

Hahaha :D Yeah, that counts!

Oop north I imagine you'd be so awestruck by the sight of a robot you'd either surrender your weapons to a master race form outer space or built a temple to house it.

• Like 1

Saucer hovers above, a light shines out of the sky and 500,000.00 Dingles all kneel before it...out comes a fuckin' yokel in Dungarees and a pitchfork with a pint in the other hand and a big green blob-head :lol: 'i tell thee i come from t'master race, do us a scallop butty' :lol:

• Like 1

Fuck that little bitch, it got what was coming to it.

Bitch had it coming.

I'd have beat the bloody suitcase out of it with a tree branch, standard.
  • Like 1