Gilby Clarke: Opinions

Dr. Who

Do you think Gilby would've been an asset to GN'R - songwriting wise - if given the chance? Or did he lack the chops, as Axl felt?
As evidence, with Slash he did the first Snakepit album, and there is his first solo record which has contributions from all Gunners including Axl.

Well it depends, he is not an amazing song writer like Izzy, he is just a normal rhythm guitarist, if he was still in GNR, he could have helped in some things here or there, thats another thing maybe his stuff wouldn't have ended up on the album, similarly how it happened with Fortus.

I don't follow his albums, I have just watched his videos here and there on youtube, I remember watching the video of Tijuana jail and cover of Dead Flowers, he did cover Sweet child also, but he totally messed it up, he has covered KOHD while touring with KOC and he did a great job in that in terms of singing.

If he does some live show near by, then I would go to see him. Im not sure if I would travel to another country especially for Gilby, I have done it for Slash and Axl, but I want to meet Gilby as I see him a member of GNR. I guess there are more chances of me meeting Gilby than Izzy, meeting Izzy would be like a dream come true.

knowing very well his entire back catalogue, both solo or in bands, i have to say this

for the most part Gilby either writes songs that somehow bring to mind easy-to-listen Rolling Stones songs, like "honky tonk women" or "dead flowers",

i.e.

or he writes poppish-rock songs, somehow in the tempo of "happiness is a warm gun"

his most hard-rock album ever, well not his but with him is Spaghetti or Rockband Supernova's. Omit Spaghetti bikoz it consists of cover songs, so he didn't write any.

i.e.

so, can't really seem to have Gilby write a GNR song

worked out great bikoz I really like his solo CDs. He would have never released them if he had stayed in GNR, i reckon, so all for the best

Go Gilby!

Edited by whatashame

Pawnshop Guitars is vastly superior to Chinese Democracy. So if I was Axl and injected with a logic drug I would have handed him the keys and asked Gilby to write my 'GN'R songs' long ago.

In respect to Axl, I consider Pawnshop Guitars to be better than Slash's albums also.

I'm a fan of Gilby, I really liked his previous band record before joining GN'R - Kill For Thrills Dynamite From Nightmareland; I still listen to it. His solo albuns are also cool and he sings ok.

If either he had the right chemistry to write GN'R songs we'll never know. Just don't judge it based on his solo albuns as it wouldn't be fair - none of the solo albuns by Slash, Duff, Izzy, Steven,... sound like GN'R either; GN'R is one of those cases where the band together is much more than the sum of it's members individually.

I've always had my doubts, personally.

Obviously back then there was no internet so my only real exposure was the UYI Tokyo VHS tapes and the $5 bootleg CDs that were everywhere here back in 92 or so- even as a 12 year old fully into GNR the Gilby lineup seemed to be lacking...same goes for Sorum.

The band is (was) Axl, Izzy, Slash, Duff and Steven...it's all downhill from there.

Cure or Kill Me is a great song. I guess Slash co-wrote that one with him?

A side question... how much did Gilby actually contributed with the songwriting for the first Snakepit album?

Black is nice too. I used to have an acoustic version of it which was nice.

I dont remember much about his other songs.

Pawnshop Guitars is vastly superior to Chinese Democracy. So if I was Axl and injected with a logic drug I would have handed him the keys and asked Gilby to write my 'GN'R songs' long ago.

In respect to Axl, I consider Pawnshop Guitars to be better than Slash's albums also.

Umm, not really

Plenty of better albums came out from a particular former member

if you find Slash albums generic, then what can you say this badly produced record with average at best song ideas?

Don't get me wrong, i went o a Gilby Clarke solo show last year and i liked it, but c'mon

you also need the logic drug, imho

I know you are a big Izzy fan so you might agree with this: Axl needs Izzy and even Axl knows this in the late 90's when he called Izzy for Down By The Ocean

You can hire plenty of great shredder but you can't find a great songwriter so easily

With Izzy's laid back songwriting style and Axl's aged voice, something great could come up if they write a new record from start to scratch

but with the current situation and 15 year old songs, will be played by people whom got nothing to do with them, this is a dead case

Edited by Strange Broue

Umm, not really

Plenty of better albums came out from a particular former member

if you find Slash albums generic, then what can you say this badly produced record with average at best song ideas?

Don't get me wrong, i went o a Gilby Clarke solo show last year and i liked it, but c'mon

you also need the logic drug, imho

I know you are a big Izzy fan so you might agree with this: Axl needs Izzy and even Axl knows this in the late 90's when he called Izzy for Down By The Ocean

You can hire plenty of great shredder but you can't find a great songwriter so easily

With Izzy's laid back songwriting style and Axl's aged voice, something great could come up if they write a new record from start to scratch

but with the current situation and 15 year old songs, will be played by people whom got nothing to do with them, this is a dead case

Adler's Appetite is better than Chinese Democracy.