Future of the Guns N' Roses name/brand

G-Money

This is a rather uncomfortable thought, but what happens to the Guns N' Roses name when Axl Rose dies?

1. If he's the first to go, you still have Slash, Duff, Steven, Matt, and Gilby out there, collaborating and doing projects together. If they wanted to perform an AFD or UYI anniversary concert, could they do so as a GNR reunion? Or would that violate ownership?
  2. Does Axl leave legal ownership to Beta? He doesn't have a wife or kids to leave it to.
  3. What happens to the supposedly re-re-re-recorded CDII and CDIII?
  4. Would he leave it to the current members (whoever they may be)?

Speculation - Management gets the name, Slash and Duff prefer to leave it alone rather than sue for ownership, Izzy won't care, Steven won't have a chance of winning in court, and Matt Sorum might be the only one to attempt negotiation. Guns N' Roses dies the least dignified death of any rock band.

I always kind of imagined gnr would continue without axl. I could see the lineup that exists when axl passes doing a goodbye tour with a different singer or tommy doing vocals. I could also see them doing shows here and there and releasing the remaining CD era stuff.

it's a shame that he wanted to release his post-gnr music under the gnr name : it's a big mistake, all his problems come from there.

I always keep saying this, but I'll say it again... Axl could've built a huge solo career by now. He should've done what Ozzy did after he was booted from Black Sabbath. Sure, the name "Guns N' Roses" sells more tickets and albums, but it's not like the name "Axl Rose" would've been completely unknown in 1996.

• Like 1

Axl suffers fatal heart attack on toilet, does an Elvis.

20 years later his likeness is used to promote a new car..

I rock out to Guns N' Roses like it was 1991, I become an old fart.

This is a rather uncomfortable thought, but what happens to the Guns N' Roses name when Axl Rose dies?

1. If he's the first to go, you still have Slash, Duff, Steven, Matt, and Gilby out there, collaborating and doing projects together. If they wanted to perform an AFD or UYI anniversary concert, could they do so as a GNR reunion? Or would that violate ownership?
  2. Does Axl leave legal ownership to Beta? He doesn't have a wife or kids to leave it to.
  3. What happens to the supposedly re-re-re-recorded CDII and CDIII?
  4. Would he leave it to the current members (whoever they may be)?

Speculation - Management gets the name, Slash and Duff prefer to leave it alone rather than sue for ownership, Izzy won't care, Steven won't have a chance of winning in court, and Matt Sorum might be the only one to attempt negotiation. Guns N' Roses dies the least dignified death of any rock band.

Sweet Child O' Mine works like this.

Mechanical rights (every copy sold) the record company gets the money.

Royalties (every time you see/hear it on TV/Radio/YouTube) Slash, Duff & Izzy each see 10%

Axl Rose sees 12.5%

Steven Adler sees 7.5%

There's also more people like the record company and producer who have bigger claims to that song too.

I looked that up the other day on the PRS app I downloaded to my smartphone. (PRS, my country's PRO and the one I am registered with).

Edited by Snake-Pit
  • Like 1

TB will just release music under the GNR name and earn money by it. There will be no band.

Slash, Duff, Izzy, Steven, Matt, Gilby or anyone else won't fight for GNR name, everyone will release their own music.

I wonder what will happen to Axl's house, I guess 80% will go to TB and 20% will go to Amy.

But well I hope has stays in good health, he should just release some music man.

I always kind of imagined gnr would continue without axl. I could see the lineup that exists when axl passes doing a goodbye tour with a different singer or tommy doing vocals. I could also see them doing shows here and there and releasing the remaining CD era stuff.

The lineup that exists touring without Axl paying trbute to Guns N Roses while Slash, Duff, Izzy and Steven are still alive. Yeah that would really fucking rock and the lineup that exists would be 100% the appropriate lineup for such a thing. Plus the world would be dying to see it. :rolleyes::facepalm:

Edited by Bono

What is with this dark fetish people have believing any GNR line up without Axl would have even 1% success, nobody has ever desired viewing a GNR show without Mr Rose, yeah he has a revolving door of supporting cast but he always delivers, even a disappointing 2012 GNR show left a good impression on the audience not because the other guys produced a competent performance, which they always did minus the odd Ashba screw up, but because Axl, even in his mickey mouse periods, produced an emotive and passionate showing, he never gives less than 100% even if his voice isn't warmed up, I can't really explain the mechanics but he has a certain well he draws upon even if he can't physically dig out the goods he's capable of, you can sense the desire, I've caught myself saying much of post 2010 Axl has been going through the motions but when Axl is going thru the motions I can't really full commit myself to that belief when I've listened back, Axl in that zone just seems very far removed from what I desire the term to connote.

The lineup that exists touring without Axl paying trbute to Guns N Roses while Slash, Duff, Izzy and Steven are still alive. Yeah that would really fucking rock and the lineup that exists would be 100% the appropriate lineup for such a thing. Plus the world would be dying to see it. :rolleyes::facepalm:
Has a simar thing happened with Skynard? Depends who is important. Chains continue without Staley. I agree though Axl is the crux of this. it's not a working blues band with a cool singer.

I can see Slash and Duff always being around to do some GNR songs where they can. If Guns closed down Axl might pop up here and there, once a decade to sing at Rod's next wedding.

'Over my dead body...' What will they do with Guns N' Roses over their dead bodies?

What will they try to sell our kids of the future using Guns N' Roses?

Society'll dictate that one, if not the powers that be..

I predict (if there aren't any already) wax models of them in halls of fame with their beloved gear and their handwritten lyrics and art sketches from back in the day around those wax models made in their likenesses, and perhaps a Slash statue in London too. :lol:

Edited by Snake-Pit

Moved to Civil War.

Thought this was going to be about what happens to GNR once Axl decides to call it a day; not when he dies. Kind of a morbid slant if you ask me, but if this topic really does interest you have at it.

My bad. Obviously the thought of ANYBODY in GNR (or in general) dying is not a fun thought, but I think it goes beyond the concept of calling it quits. I mean, if Axl retires, he still owns his own property. Personally, I hope the OG 5 pull a Keith Richards and accomplish immortality.