Saw the nwa movie-no axl

I keep seeing this quote from Dr.Dre saying he knew N.W.A. made it when he saw Axl wearing their hat in a video but by the time of the LALD video,hadn't they already had a number one album? I think the quote also said something about they were still selling records out of cars at that point but that also seems doubtful. Anyway I doubt anyone going to see the film expected Axl to be in there at all. Why would he be? Because he was a fan?

• Like 1

I keep seeing this quote from Dr.Dre saying he knew N.W.A. made it when he saw Axl wearing their hat in a video but by the time of the LALD video,hadn't they already had a number one album? I think the quote also said something about they were still selling records out of cars at that point but that also seems doubtful. Anyway I doubt anyone going to see the film expected Axl to be in there at all. Why would he be? Because he was a fan?

Yeah, that quote is bullshit (Even if Dre actually said it) - Ice Cube left in late 1989, and the LALD video was filmed sometime in mid 1991. Hell, hooray for tolerance!z4Life was already released by that point, and Dre wasn't too far off from leaving N.W.A himself.

Axl asked N.W.A to come tour with them very early on. He said in an interview he was very disappointed to not get them.

I think Axl asked them around the time they weren't huge yet. But the group had already committed somewhere else.

Edit:

Never mind, it was after Ice cube left.

http://ambrosiaforheads.com/2013/09/dj-yella-recalls-n-w-a-mistakenly-turning-down-guns-n-roses-tour/

And it was over NWA's manager wanting 50,000 instead of 25,000.

http://youtu.be/x8LEEtuO2oI

At 1:19:19 you hear Axl start to talk about wanting NWA on tour. He said it was at a time when nobody was listening to them yet and he turned Izzy on to it and they wanted to bring them on the tour.

Edited by IncitingChaos
  • Like 1

They did have a HUGE impact on Axl though. Before NWA, Guns n'Roses were the most dangerous thing LA ever produced. But then when NWA came along, Axl really changed his whole perspective. I remember watching an interview or something where Axl is saying things like "we're just a bunch of rock and roll guys just trying to have a good time, those guys (NWA) are the real bad asses. We didn't go through anything like they did." or something to that effect.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

Maybe Heller thought they were going to get booed opening for GNR, esp. if Yella's taking about getting paid for going on stage for 5 minutes. Heller put a book out that I never read but that might be in there.

GNR did wind up getting Body Count to open for them, I think they were more compatible with GNR than having guys on mics with a DJ.

why would axl be mentioned in a biopic about nwa?

you guys are obsessed about axl

lol

by the way, if one day there was a gnr biopic, why would nwa be mentioned?

If it's true that GN'R tried to tap N.W.A as a support act, it would be much easier to fit them into a GN'R biopic than vice-versa. Not saying it would be anything more than a passing mention, but at least that could make sense. Having that same mention in the N.W.A biopic would be more pointless.

Axl Rose started out screeching about being “just an urchin livin’ under the street,” but in the thirteen years he’s been working on the oft-delayed album Chinese Democracy (at a price that’s exceeded $13 million), he’s had time to reflect on heavy-metal posturing. “We thought we were so badass,” he said in the greenroom at the VMAs. “Then N.W.A. came out rapping about this world where you walk out of your house and you get shot. It was just so clear what stupid little white-boy poseurs we were. It was like, ‘All right, we can give up the act.’ If you’re talking about which lifestyle is more hard-core, the one where you get shot always wins.”

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/78886-exwhite-boy-poseur/

• Like 1

People forget that even in 1991, rap videos were relegated to Yo! MTV Raps a few hours every week and that was it.

Axl said in the Eddie Trunk interview from 2006 that he wanted NWA on the Use Your Illusion tour instead of Skid Row, and he said it was because "nobody knew who those guys were". White people today probably don't' know 95% of the acts on BET - Axl was going to expose NWA to a white audience that otherwise wouldn't seek them out.

Ha! People were expecting Axl to be in the NWA movie? Seriously why? Because he wore a hat that said NWA in concert? Axl Rose had NOTHING to do with NWA so for anyone to think he would've had a part in the movie is just......... :facepalm:

• Like 1

I don't want to spoil anything for anyone, but I also heard that Axl wasn't mentioned in Ted 2, Fantastic Four, Avengers, Jurassic World and several other movies this year that have nothing to do with him.

He'll be in Star Wars. Kylo Ren's true identity is Axl Rose.

• Like 1

I think you guys are being too harsh on this one.

The angle for the movie would have been comparing a controversial group from Compton, to arguably the biggest band in the world at the time...also from Los Angeles area and also controversial. Their music came from the same time period. It's not like they are decades apart.

And nobody even said it had to be a big part in the movie. Just a mention of Gnr was a possibility. One of the ways to show how far NWA has come would have been to show the biggest rock star in the world wearing your merchandise.

Duff talked about having bbq's with NWA and big house parties together. They weren't so far from each other. Both of their lyrics were about what they were surrounded with. GNR's was excess and drugs, NWA's was guns and drugs. Now I agree it is a reach to place gnr in this movie. But Nwa had a song called Appetite for Destruction. I think laughing at someone that thinks gnr could have gotten a mention is dumb.

My favorite thing about this time period and the story is how comparable gnr and NWA are on their path to fame. NWA didn't know who they wanted in the group, they just knew that this guy had DJ equipment, these guys could rap, and this guy could write lyrics. Gnr did the same thing, they mix and matched with artist around them until something clicked. Once that happened they had to go out and perform. They had to sell their own tickets, they had to promote themselves, and they had to overcome the fact that big managers/labels wanted nothing to do with them. It took constant grinding and finding the right people that would get them where they wanted to be.

They both received little playtime on the radio and it was hard to get on mtv. The fact that these two groups made it is an awesome story. I hope if gnr gets a biopic that it is portrayed as good as NWA's.

People forget that even in 1991, rap videos were relegated to Yo! MTV Raps a few hours every week and that was it.

Axl said in the Eddie Trunk interview from 2006 that he wanted NWA on the Use Your Illusion tour instead of Skid Row, and he said it was because "nobody knew who those guys were". White people today probably don't' know 95% of the acts on BET - Axl was going to expose NWA to a white audience that otherwise wouldn't seek them out.

You can say the same about Hard Rock/Heavy Metal being relegated to Headbangers Ball. The exceptions were songs that were crossovers into the top 40. MTV played primarily pop/top 40 videos. So, you had WTTJ, Enter Sandman, ballads, etc. playing on the main countdown shows and music blocks, but so were You Can't Touch This, Ice, Ice, Baby, O.P.P., etc.

Only on a GnR site would fans be so devoted to the almighty that they'd sit around justifying why GnR or Axl should've been mentioned in the biopic of N.W.A. It's more hilarious than this video. To be honest I can't even believe this thread exists.

Edited by Bono
  • Like 1

I think you guys are being too harsh on this one.

The angle for the movie would have been comparing a controversial group from Compton, to arguably the biggest band in the world at the time...also from Los Angeles area and also controversial. Their music came from the same time period. It's not like they are decades apart.

And nobody even said it had to be a big part in the movie. Just a mention of Gnr was a possibility. One of the ways to show how far NWA has come would have been to show the biggest rock star in the world wearing your merchandise.

Duff talked about having bbq's with NWA and big house parties together. They weren't so far from each other. Both of their lyrics were about what they were surrounded with. GNR's was excess and drugs, NWA's was guns and drugs. Now I agree it is a reach to place gnr in this movie. But Nwa had a song called Appetite for Destruction. I think laughing at someone that thinks gnr could have gotten a mention is dumb.

My favorite thing about this time period and the story is how comparable gnr and NWA are on their path to fame. NWA didn't know who they wanted in the group, they just knew that this guy had DJ equipment, these guys could rap, and this guy could write lyrics. Gnr did the same thing, they mix and matched with artist around them until something clicked. Once that happened they had to go out and perform. They had to sell their own tickets, they had to promote themselves, and they had to overcome the fact that big managers/labels wanted nothing to do with them. It took constant grinding and finding the right people that would get them where they wanted to be.

They both received little playtime on the radio and it was hard to get on mtv. The fact that these two groups made it is an awesome story. I hope if gnr gets a biopic that it is portrayed as good as NWA's.

I didnt know much about any NWA - GNR connection (except for the axl hat)

axl_rose_nwa_hat_guns_n_roses_dr_dre.jpg

but that changed a few minutes ago

found a nice article on LAMAG about how both bands came together about the same time

(there are lots of facts that you and others mentioned on this thread)

and there is THIS...

(WHICH I DONT REMEMBER EVER KNOWING ANYTHING ABOUT)

Interestingly, the same year that Efil4zaggin and Use Your Illusion

were released, Eazy-E and GN’R allegedly recorded a track together,

“The Yellow Road of Compton,” but it was never released.

source = http://www.lamag.com/culturefiles/mash-of-the-titans-when-eazy-e-met-axl-rose/

cubenwa660.jpg

there is a 91 written on the right lower corner of the photo above

if it is 11 23 91 it would make sense -- thats the GNR tour hiatus after izzy left...

Slash always liked to keep himself busy

and the photo above is very likely a decent evidence that Slash (and Matt) probably recorded something with Eazy E

one more photo of Slash and Eazy E, apparently from the same day, apparently they are in a studio

CKXQZRDUAAAKblo.jpg

there is some additional info (evidence?) here...

scan0030-4.jpg

source = http://eazyeforum.com/showthread.php?37638-**PROOF**-Eazy-E-Temporary-Insanity-Guns-N-Roses-Track

so apparently there was indeed a track collaboration between Slash, Duff and Eazy E (and probably Matt)

And who confirms that?

Axl Rose!

Here is what Axl had to say about it...

Q: Did you do a song with Eazy-E [late American rapper, producer, and record executive] in the early '90s. I read it somewhere. I think it would be pretty cool. Did you hang out with Eazy-E ever? What was a cool moment hanging out with N.W.A.?

Axl: He recorded with Slash and Duff. He really wanted to attack the media over attacking me for "One in a Million". There wasn't really any Easy on it. I wasn't there. He gave me the tape to consider. Sounded a bit like the other guys doing BODY COUNT. The idea was OK but the track wasn't really there and I felt it would get more heat than the track could stand up to. Only hung a couple times after a show with any of them. Was glad I got to meet Eazy.

SOURCE = http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/axl-rose-takes-part-in-another-online-chat-says-there-are-no-plans-for-gn-r-tour-right-now/#8LbAXZgLLYK6tQ53.99

So there is a Slash-Duff-Eazy-E song sitting out there somewhere that sounds like GNR playing BODY COUNT

And there is NO Axl-Eazy-E collaboration because Axl didnt like the song

axlrose.jpg

• Like 4