Are the 'epic' songs on the UYIs too long?

Dr. Who

I love NR, Estranged, Breakdown, Coma and Locomotive as much as any GN'R fan; that is, a lot.

But...Are they a tad too long?

They all run in the 8-9 minute range; Coma tops it off at 10 minutes.

Now compare that to other epic rockers, like Bohemian Rhapsody - 6 minutes; Layla, 7 mins etc.

Do you think the epics on the UYIs at times stretch on for too long?

yes, especially estranged

perfect example of self-indulgence

Lol. Estranged is one of the few "musically admirable" songs on the classic GnR catalogue. Guess it's too much to ask for some people to step out of the classic 3-5 min radio-friendly pre-chewed formula.

Cut 1 verse/2 minutes from Locomotive and I think it would have had wider appeal as more people get to hear that wondrous outro. I read that SCOM had an extra verse originally, I think they made the right decision bringing it in just under 2 minutes (though the 5 min radio/music video edit is rubbish).

I love NR, Estranged, Breakdown, Coma and Locomotive as much as any GN'R fan; that is, a lot.

But...Are they a tad too long?

Yes. November Rain shouldn't exist at all, except from the end which should have been tacked onto a better song. Estranged is good, but should lose at least a verse from the first half and some of the interlude instrumental part before the second half of the song. Breakdown is okay. Coma is a torturous, meandering thing that is only good from Slash's solo before the awesome end, which is awesome due to Axl's vocals and lyrics and the hypnotizing chord structure Slash came up with. Locomotive is brilliant all over.

Edited by SoulMonster

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

November Rain and Estranged are fine, lengthwise. There aren't any times in the songs where I feel like they're just bullshitting around to extend the runtime.

Locomotive is pushing it.

Coma and Breakdown are just way too fucking long. Coma could easily be a 5-6 minute song and all it'd lose is a bunch of bass breakdowns and moaning sounds from Axl. Breakdown is unsalvagable. Absolutely unforgivably terrible song that should never have been even considered for recording, let alone release.