Can we agree that This I Love is the most popular nuGn'R song?

The singles for CD were:

Shacklers

If the World

Chi dem

Better

SOD

I guess if Better was the first single with movie tie and TIL had a huge video

that would set up some kind of trilogy of epic videos for SOD, TWAT, Catcher.

But launching TIL off the buzz of the first single either Better, Chi dem, Shacklers would have most impact.

As it was Shacklers, ITW, TIL maybe should have been the singles. So the pre release singles Shacklers, ITW then on release This I Love epic video playing in front of the Hollywood sign.

Edited by wasted

TIL is the most GNR sounding ballad and no more embarrassing than DC or Nov Rain. Ok maybe a little but this is what people like.

Actially my guess is people saw it live and checked it out.

I dont get the light on it considering it wasnt reased as a single.

You sound like a guy who needs convincing himself haha

• Like 1

TIL is the most GNR sounding ballad and no more embarrassing than DC or Nov Rain. Ok maybe a little but this is what people like.

Actially my guess is people saw it live and checked it out.

I dont get the light on it considering it wasnt reased as a single.

You sound like a guy who needs convincing himself haha

Im not a ballad guy anyway. So even with Dont Cry I have to pysche myself up to start it, I think it gets going and Slash solo rocks it. Same with TIL, its more voyeuristic or a journey into enemy territory. But at the end of the day Nov Rain is huge song for GNR. TIL probably is tapping into that kind of thing, so its not a huge leap to make to say it could be a hit with a video coming off some intial buzz from the first single. Better maybe. But all the songs were used rubbers by release. So Shacklers and ITW got some attention with movie and game tie ins, so video for This I Love on release might be good idea. Hindsight is 20/20 but looking back still a bit fuzzy!

Dj soloing in front of the Hollywood sign. Axl playing piano where SCOM vid was shot. That's how it happened for me. TIL went No. 1 and Kanye sang at his wedding.

But really no, because it's not the 90s, so nobody cares. Boo hoo

I usually classify CD songs as "great song, just not a good GNR song." But This I Love, Better, and (forgive me) Chinese Democracy, are all good GNR songs in my opinion. I just look at (A) If it's a fast song, would it be awesome or awkward to see the AFD lineup play today, and (B) If it's a ballad, would it be awesome or awkward to see the UYI lineup play today? Those three songs make the cut for me personally, and I'd love to see Slash put a solo in This I Love at a live show if there were ever the be the always-discussed reunion.

Having said all that, This I Love was actually my favorite song from CD.

Edited by G-Money

I see CD broken down into AFD and UYI parallel universes where:

Chi dem, Better, TWAT are the Jungle, SCOM, PC

and Shacklers, Sorry, TIL are the YCBM, DC and NR.

Then Catcher is Estranged.

Madagascar is Civil war

SOD is Yesterdays

ITW is Heavens door/Live n let Die

Riad is the Think about you

IRS is the Dont damn me

Scraped is Out ta get me/my michelle

Prostitute is the answer to RQ.

Well known/popular to who? The general public? I'd be shocked if just about anyone in the general public could tell you anything about Chinese Democracy outside of the title of the album.

Personally, I love the album except for CitR but I couldn't care less who else does. I also don't care who, if anyone, even knows any of the songs off of it.

Yeah absolutely, and that's the right attitude too.

In all honesty, you're either going to be someone who bought Chinese Democracy and knows the names of Axl's band members, or you're in the overwhelming majority of people who just know GNR from their 80's and 90's heyday and could probably only name Axl, Slash and maybe Duff.

If someone is likely to know one CD song, they'll know them all.

The most GnR sounding ballad? Please. It's a massive whine fest and is so cheesy and annoying. Don't Cry and November Rain are great songs with great melody and great music. TIL is cringe worthy. It sounds like it would be the soundrack to some horribly cheesy romance novel. Like if you could put a picture to This I Love, this would be it

romance-novel1.jpg

• Like 2

Axl went full Elton, but I don't mind. I like the piano, the orchestration is great, and Robin captured what Axl was going for with his guitar solo imo. (my favorite part in TIL)

I'd like to hear the version with the raspy vocals. The snippet sounded better compared to what Axl chose to go with imo.

Edited by Rovim

Some people are really missing the point. It's not about the quality of the song, nobody cares if you find it amazing or awful.

From the shows I attended and the ones I've watched,I think I agree. Great reception from the audience, even during A$hba's "solo".

Some people are really missing the point. It's not about the quality of the song, nobody cares if you find it amazing or awful.

From the shows I attended and the ones I've watched,I think I agree. Great reception from the audience, even during A$hba's "solo".

You don't have to miss the point just to go off topic.

On topic: casuals were into it in the show I went to. Youtube reception is pretty good.

I can imagine Axl wanting to incorporate this song in the next Guns album after Illusions with Slash in mind. I wonder how it would have sounded like, and what the reception to it would have been if Slash got to work on it and it got released.

Edited by Rovim

Its the best Piano composition since the Illusions era. I like the song & the way it is structured and the way it incorporates different instruments. The drums don't kick in until two minutes of the song is left & with orchestral & harp sounds it almost sounds haunting. It is one of new guns most popular songs, with lots of views from YouTube, Spotify and with YouTube there are countless piano covers & guitar covers of the song.

I've never understood the love for this song, it's fine, I don't dislike it but I don't think its anything super amazing. Also the main melody is really close to a part of a song in Futurama.

Edited by eggers

I see CD broken down into AFD and UYI parallel universes where:

Chi dem, Better, TWAT are the Jungle, SCOM, PC

and Shacklers, Sorry, TIL are the YCBM, DC and NR.

Then Catcher is Estranged.

Madagascar is Civil war

SOD is Yesterdays

ITW is Heavens door/Live n let Die

Riad is the Think about you

IRS is the Dont damn me

Scraped is Out ta get me/my michelle

Prostitute is the answer to RQ.

What?

The most GnR sounding ballad? Please. It's a massive whine fest and is so cheesy and annoying. Don't Cry and November Rain are great songs with great melody and great music. TIL is cringe worthy. It sounds like it would be the soundrack to some horribly cheesy romance novel. Like if you could put a picture to This I Love, this would be it

romance-novel1.jpg

Suppose it is a bit more gay than the others. But not by that much. It has a kitschy Twilight vampire romance musical vibe.

I think they are all pretty good, well executed. TIL is very raw emotionally and that can threaten macho guys. Seeing it more as Axl pushing the envelope again. You cant get more overwrought than that.

To me GNR has always been about capturing real emotions, TIL is just another, it definitely expresses an emotion even if its not cool.

Axl went full Elton, but I don't mind. I like the piano, the orchestration is great, and Robin captured what Axl was going for with his guitar solo imo. (my favorite part in TIL)

I'd like to hear the version with the raspy vocals. The snippet sounded better compared to what Axl chose to go with imo.

To me it sounds like Queen. Axl went full camp on CD. It's true SCOM had some Skynard balls, NR had Layla, Estranged has some Floyd feel. TWAT is really the tougher epic, a little Stonesy, Catcher has some Hey Jude. But This I Love just goes into something a lot more camp. But Axl has that element you can hear it on NR but it's got more of a 70s feel and more instrumental parts to enjoy.

10 minute version of This I Love anyone?

To me it sounds like Queen. Axl went full camp on CD. It's true SCOM had some Skynard balls, NR had Layla, Estranged has some Floyd feel. TWAT is really the tougher epic, a little Stonesy, Catcher has some Hey Jude. But This I Love just goes into something a lot more camp. But Axl has that element you can hear it on NR but it's got more of a 70s feel and more instrumental parts to enjoy.

The song could have easily had more sections kinda like November Rain. It's quite focused and efficient for an Axl ballad.

The song could have easily had more sections kinda like November Rain. It's quite focused and efficient for an Axl ballad.

A pocket sized NR in my mind.