Is this the best performance of Welcome To The Jungle?

After watching that (for the millionth time) all I can say is that anybody on this board not in favor of a reunion is a massive tool. I know it's not 1988 anymore, but there would be such an energy to seeing a reunion that would make it far better than any performances since 1993. I know some folks would rather have new music, but seeing the REAL guns n roses play jungle again is worth more to me than any nugnr or Slash album. It just is...

No one is denying that "it just is" to you. It isn't to me, but different strokes and all that. I certainly won't call you a "massive tool" for having a different opinion than me :shrugs:.

Personally I think that watching that clip only makes me want a reunion LESS. Not because I don't think they would be able to deliver a good performance of the song, I think they would, but because the song comes with a certain attitude and context that simply isn't there anymore. Old, bloated, rich guys playing a song they wrote in their twenties about the hardships of their lives and a city that now has changed, just is so remote from that performance in 1988 that it might as well be some other guys playing it. I grew up in the 80s and I think we should let it rest. I understand that people who grew up later and have only heard GN'R music disconnected from the circumstances when it was written and performed fresh, might not get it. But I honestly prefer other guys playing the songs, and adding something new to them, than rehashing the past and knowing you will come short from what once was. So if I have to choose between a nostalgia reunion tour that I know will be a shadow of what it once was, or the guys running other projects and releasing new music, then I will always take the latter.

I respect your opinion and all, but really? You would rather have nununugnr than guns n roses? I don't know how you can honestly call yourself a guns n roses fan if that's really how you feel. Listen, I liked the nu lineups and I like CD. But I became a fan of this band called guns n roses, and they haven't honestly existed since 1993. So yes I would MUCH rather have that band playing their songs as opposed to nununugnr playing mostly classic gnr songs and a few buckethead\finck songs.

I've been around for all of this stuff too, I'm no newbie. Hell I remember reading your posts back on newgnr.com 10 years ago. 10 years ago I wanted CD, I wanted new music from Axl. I honestly didn't care who was in the band, I just wanted music. But now, my opinion has changed. I'd much rather have a reunion even if that means Axl never release another album.

Honestly here is the bottom line, a guns n roses fan wants a reunion. An Axl Rose fan wants a new album. That's the difference.

I think it's an age thing sometimes. There are people here who are 20 something years old who have seen twenty new GnR shows. That's great. I've seen a bunch myself. I would trade those twenty for the one I saw in 92.

Yes, but the thing is you can't have another show like the one in '92, unless you are able to travel back in time. Seeing those same guys play a show now 23 years later just isn't the same thing.

It seems like some of you guys want to recreate something that once was and I think that is nice. I am just afraid it really wouldn't be that good of an experience, and perhaps even taint your memories of a band at its prime playing songs that meant something to them and to you there and then.

Even if his vocals aren't perfectly mastered here hè still outsings pretty much every other singer at the time and the energy and the way they play it the Whole band. Hell yeah most powerful and best performance of Jungle ever, Just watch steven drumming and Axl being all over the place alone, this, exactly a performance like this is why everyone on here once became in love with Guns N' Roses

After watching that (for the millionth time) all I can say is that anybody on this board not in favor of a reunion is a massive tool. I know it's not 1988 anymore, but there would be such an energy to seeing a reunion that would make it far better than any performances since 1993. I know some folks would rather have new music, but seeing the REAL guns n roses play jungle again is worth more to me than any nugnr or Slash album. It just is...

No one is denying that "it just is" to you. It isn't to me, but different strokes and all that. I certainly won't call you a "massive tool" for having a different opinion than me :shrugs:.

Personally I think that watching that clip only makes me want a reunion LESS. Not because I don't think they would be able to deliver a good performance of the song, I think they would, but because the song comes with a certain attitude and context that simply isn't there anymore. Old, bloated, rich guys playing a song they wrote in their twenties about the hardships of their lives and a city that now has changed, just is so remote from that performance in 1988 that it might as well be some other guys playing it. I grew up in the 80s and I think we should let it rest. I understand that people who grew up later and have only heard GN'R music disconnected from the circumstances when it was written and performed fresh, might not get it. But I honestly prefer other guys playing the songs, and adding something new to them, than rehashing the past and knowing you will come short from what once was. So if I have to choose between a nostalgia reunion tour that I know will be a shadow of what it once was, or the guys running other projects and releasing new music, then I will always take the latter.

I respect your opinion and all, but really? You would rather have nununugnr than guns n roses? I don't know how you can honestly call yourself a guns n roses fan if that's really how you feel. Listen, I liked the nu lineups and I like CD. But I became a fan of this band called guns n roses, and they haven't honestly existed since 1993. So yes I would MUCH rather have that band playing their songs as opposed to nununugnr playing mostly classic gnr songs and a few buckethead\finck songs.

I've been around for all of this stuff too, I'm no newbie. Hell I remember reading your posts back on newgnr.com 10 years ago. 10 years ago I wanted CD, I wanted new music from Axl. I honestly didn't care who was in the band, I just wanted music. But now, my opinion has changed. I'd much rather have a reunion even if that means Axl never release another album.

Honestly here is the bottom line, a guns n roses fan wants a reunion. An Axl Rose fan wants a new album. That's the difference.

and what if you are both, and would want a New album first with what he has now and then a reunion?

I think it's an age thing sometimes. There are people here who are 20 something years old who have seen twenty new GnR shows. That's great. I've seen a bunch myself. I would trade those twenty for the one I saw in 92.

Yes, but the thing is you can't have another show like the one in '92, unless you are able to travel back in time. Seeing those same guys play a show now 23 years later just isn't the same thing.

It seems like some of you guys want to recreate something that once was and I think that is nice. I am just afraid it really wouldn't be that good of an experience, and perhaps even taint your memories of a band at its prime playing songs that meant something to them and to you there and then.

But having other players and Axl playing those same songs is some how better? Most bands that are discussed in this forum are no longer in their "prime" yet they still play and put on great shows, how would gnr be any different. Besides NOTHING can taint the old performances, I really don't understand that argument. How can playing a show in 2015 have any effect on things done over 20 years ago? Besides the last couple of years have been far more damaging to the legacy than a reunion could ever hope to be.

Let's see here, slash can still play the songs great, so can duff. Izzy probably absent played them In a while, but I'm sure it's like riding a bike for him. In sure Matt or Steven could play the songs perfectly fine. So who's left? Axl. But you would rather see him play those songs with new guys, so how can playing them with the old guys be any worse? Besides Axl still does a solid enough job in most of the old songs anyways, it's some of the CD stuff that he struggles with most.

Absolutely an awesome performance. I remember watching this live. His voice was way raspier than most of the performances from that time. The energy, the raw ness were off the charts. This is why they were the biggest and baddest band of the time.

Great performance, but he is out of breath sometimes

I'm pretty sure we've heard better

The problem is, Axl will never be able to maintain this 88 form. He is an 50 year old lazy dude

He was struggled while he tryin' to reach this in 2010

So, maybe the real tools are some people whom still believe that if a reunion happens it might be 1988 again

lol

yeah, Jungle is a dated song, not even their best, imho

Edited by Strange Broue

If that is number 1 I think the first RIR with the new band is a close 2nd. His vocals were weaker then but the overall presentation, anticipation, and crowd made up for it.

Rio 2001 a close second?? Lol come on go back to the drawing board.

I'd put Rio '01 above this performance by a mile :headbang: Axl and the band were awesome in this VMA video, but I find it uncomfortable to watch because the audience are just sitting there and barely moving (much like the Tokyo '92 videos). I'm not saying Rio '01 is their best performance, but I still get goosebumps when the Exorcist intro ends and Axl starts screaming..... it's just fucking awesome.

Also love the Leeds performance from 2002:-

Edited by downliner

and sane people gave up on this band....

just sayin'

Sane people knows that Axl is done vocally

The MTV performace is terrific

Ritz 88 is unbelievable

Rio 1991 is amazing -- second night is the best

Tokyo 1988 with the long instrumental intro...

Pasadena 1987 - a bluesy one

there are so many great performances that I gave up trying to find which one is best

this one is really out of control, axl misses some lyrics and it is terrific

Every time I go back to this video, I can't help but think to myself that this is the best performance I've watched/listened to. Everything about it is great.

I'm not even exaggerating -- before I clicked on this video, I knew it would be the VMAs.

Yeah, it's the best. Whole band is on fire, and Axl is a fucking demon.

• Like 1

I respect your opinion and all, but really? You would rather have nununugnr than guns n roses?
Yes, absolutely. I much more prefer the prospect of new music and great live shows, which I believe comes with what we have now, than a pure nostalgia trip of people in their 50s trying to recreate the splendour of their youth. I am all for new experiences and things. GN'R was amazing; I accept the present form in that statement.

I'm sorry to call this Bullshit but I have to.

I'm pretty sure you won't hear new music anytime soon from the current lineup (current lineup? Oh wait...)

A reunion doesn't mean automatically no new music. Actually I think a reunion would be the biggest opportunity for us to hear new music from Axl because unless the new band the old guys could kick Axl in his ass so he would do his homework.

But how is that different from the new band? Axl is still an old bloated rich guy regardless of whether he is playing with the bona fide article or a bunch of hired hacks. And the hired hands are not exactly poverty stricken either. It strikes me that it is a choice between, old bloated rich guys who at least have the common decency to be the writers/performers of the song in question, or, old bloated rich guys who have no relationship with the song whatsoever.

I respect your opinion and all, but really? You would rather have nununugnr than guns n roses?
Yes, absolutely. I much more prefer the prospect of new music and great live shows, which I believe comes with what we have now, than a pure nostalgia trip of people in their 50s trying to recreate the splendour of their youth. I am all for new experiences and things. GN'R was amazing; I accept the present form in that statement.

I'm sorry to call this Bullshit but I have to.

I'm pretty sure you won't hear new music anytime soon from the current lineup (current lineup? Oh wait...)

A reunion doesn't mean automatically no new music. Actually I think a reunion would be the biggest opportunity for us to hear new music from Axl because unless the new band the old guys could kick Axl in his ass so he would do his homework.

I think you can only call something bullshit if it is demonstratively so. In this case you believe that new music is more likely as a result of Axl reuniting with AFD/UYI lineups, whereas I think it is more likely as a result of Axl finally releasing more of the music that is already recorded.

But how is that different from the new band? Axl is still an old bloated rich guy regardless of whether he is playing with the bona fide article or a bunch of hired hacks. And the hired hands are not exactly poverty stricken either. It strikes me that it is a choice between, old bloated rich guys who at least have the common decency to be the writers/performers of the song in question, or, old bloated rich guys who have no relationship with the song whatsoever.

Because the recent lineups have also played songs most of the guys helped create, and not only songs off of AFD and UYI. In other words, it isn't a complete nostalgia thing. They also brings something new to the classics, which I find interesting. There is also, in my opinion, a much higher probability that the new guys will eventually release new music, and then tour that music.

Let me make something clear: If I could travel back in time and experience GN'R in their club days, then I would take that over ANYTHING else. But if I have to choose between a new lineup of GN'R playing a mix of the whole back catalogue (including songs off CD) and with the propect of new music in the future, then I would take that over a nostalgia reunion of the AFD and UYI lineups any given day. I do understand Mike's argument about how excited people would be, the energy in the crowd, how awesome people would find it, and what a fantastic eperience it would be to some -- but it is just not my cup of tea. Unless I can see and hear the songs played by the guys who wrote then, when they were fresh and meant something to them, to the audience, and in the circumstances they lived under, then it would still just be a shadow of what I am interested in. Then I might as well just prefer a new lineup playing them with the addition of new songs.

I guess if you honestly feel maintaining the new band will inherently entail more new material, you would think that. I however have my doubts. You have to remember that he could stick out the new band outtakes and still reunite; Kiss did this with Carnival of Souls. I do not agree with your assessment of the shows though; to me it seems it is 90% a 'nostalgia' thing. They even market the tours with Appetite for Destruction artwork.

I guess if you honestly feel maintaining the new band will inherently entail more new material, you would think that. I however have my doubts. You have to remember that he could stick out the new band outtakes and still reunite; Kiss did this with Carnival of Souls. I do not agree with your assessment of the shows though; to me it seems it is 90% a 'nostalgia' thing. They even market the tours with Appetite for Destruction artwork.

Oh yes, there are many conceivable scenarios.

And yes, it is still a nostalgia thing, a large part of the set is (and will inevitably be) comprised of pre-2000 material (this is Guns N' Roses, they HAVE to play some of the songs that made them famous, and the audience WILL consist of people coming to hear those songs), but at least there is something "new" amid all the old songs. And that something makes it qualitatively different then a completely nostalgia thing. And wasn't the Appetite for Destruction name due to celebrating 25 years since the release of AFD, or something? A special circumstances. I am sure any future tour will have a less nostalgic name, and maybe, just maybe, contain new songs.