Jump to content

The US Politics/Elections Thread


Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, -W.A.R- said:

Legalization is the most low hanging ripe fruit there is.

It would boost his voter enthusiasm with the under 40 crowd and would probably have zero impact on his current support.

Probably over 40 too - I know quite a few people over that age who still smoke :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 29.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • downzy

    4610

  • Dazey

    1898

  • soon

    1711

  • Georgy Zhukov

    1571

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Donald Trump just grabbed America by the pussy

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, -W.A.R- said:

Legalization is the most low hanging ripe fruit there is.

It would boost his voter enthusiasm with the under 40 crowd and would probably have zero impact on his current support.

I think Biden is making a concerted effort to win Florida.  There's a lot of seniors in Florida that probably wouldn't appreciate his support for legalization and might help Trump's "soft-on-crime" attack.  

Biden wins Florida and the election is over, so I get why we might not see Biden come out in support for weed legalization.

That said, I do agree it would help energize the base and likely help him motivate younger people to actually vote (that is, if they're not too high to remember what day they're suppose to vote :P)

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

You cannot surpass James Woods for advice,

 

Do you follow James Woods on twitter?

That would explain a lot. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, downzy said:

So how did you come across something so dumb?

I don't think you quite understand how twatter works, by which somebody who you may be following can reply or retweet something by somebody you are not following, and that person's tweet who you're not following then gets posted up on your timeline. 

Don't say you and Soon believe that my posting of Woods' tweet indicates that I am an advocate for the procurement of firearms etc etc, and the ''taking back of America'' haha? I am a misunderstood person here!!

PS

Plus I have people who I am following for completely non-political reasons (mostly related to cricket, cricket pundits and bloggers) who might be lefties so their lefty stuff ends up on my stream. 

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I don't think you quite understand how twatter works, by which somebody who you may be following can reply or retweet something by somebody you are not following, and that person's tweet who you're not following then gets posted up on your timeline. 

Don't say you and Soon believe that my posting of Woods' tweet indicates that I am an advocate for the procurement of firearms etc etc, and the ''taking back of America'' haha? I am a misunderstood person here!!

PS

Plus I have people who I am following for completely non-political reasons (mostly related to cricket, cricket pundits and bloggers) who might be lefties so their lefty stuff ends up on my stream. 

Gotcha. 

I am actually very new to Twiiter so yeah, not too versed in how it works.

I was curious what the video was from.  Apparently it’s from Baltimore where two men were in a verbal altercation. One turned and walked away; the other picked up a brick. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, downzy said:

Right out of North Korea...

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/08/31/trump-patriotic-education-406521

This is the kind of nonsensical thinking that has gotten America into the trouble it now finds itself in.

 

Coming from Trump this is concerning for obvious reasons. I will say however that while I am weary of dangerous nationalism and really feel no sense of patriotism myself, I think a sense of pride in one's country and SOME shared national identity is important for a functional society. I worry that the extreme erosion of patriotism in the U.S, the constant teaching that the U.S. is evil, rooted in racism and forever shaded by it is not good for American society in the long term (even if it holds some truth). We do make people more aware of racial injustices along the way which is a great thing, but as with all things, there must be some moderation and the left (specifically younger, further left) should rethink how they talk about America.

edit: I want to clarify that it really isn't the schools that are teaching that America is evil, though, more so social media/pop culture. What Trump is prescribing here is already the norm. I received a very pro-America education throughout primary school, even with a strong emphasis on African American history that I know is glossed over in many parts of the south.

Edited by Jakey Styley
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jakey Styley said:

Coming from Trump this is concerning for obvious reasons. I will say however that while I am weary of dangerous nationalism and really feel no sense of patriotism myself, I think a sense of pride in one's country is important for a functional society. I worry that the extreme erosion of patriotism in the U.S, the constant teaching that the U.S. is evil, rooted in racism and forever shaded by it is not good for American society in the long term (even if it holds some truth). We do make people more aware of racial injustices along the way which is a great thing, but as with all things, there must be some moderation and the left (specifically younger, further left) should rethink how they talk about America.

Why have an ahistorical analysis of a nation? Why not use the tools of criminology, sociology and anthropology that we have to understand the problems at hand? 

Im also confused when you say that people fighting to make the place better, simultaneously hate the think they are passionately fighting for. People hate the state, not the people who form the actual entity of the nation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, soon said:

Why have an ahistorical analysis of a nation? Why not use the tools of criminology, sociology and anthropology that we have to understand the problems at hand? 

Im also confused when you say that people fighting to make the place better, simultaneously hate the think they are passionately fighting for. People hate the state, not the people who form the actual entity of the nation.

I definitely get that. I know that most of those criticizing America do it out of a desire for it to be a better America. I just think you need to be really delicate to highlight racial injustices while not ripping apart any shared identity that Americans could have. I don't think the balance is being struck right now, and really, I don't have the answers for how exactly to do it. It's part of the reason I prefer looking at American inequality through class and not race. There's nothing necessarily incorrect with the latter, but class unites far more people.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jakey Styley said:

I definitely get that. I know that most of those criticizing America do it out of a desire for it to be a better America. I just think you need to be really delicate to highlight racial injustices while not ripping apart any shared identity that Americans could have. I don't think the balance is being struck right now, and really, I don't have the answers for how exactly to do it. It's part of the reason I prefer looking at American inequality through class and not race. There's nothing necessarily incorrect with the latter, but class unites far more people.

Right on. But Im not sure that people living on reservations all feel a shared identity with the settlers? So, while I too am class based, I think its a privileged position to assert an understanding of the experience of race in America (I dont know your race btw - Im a white settler). I see race and class and an interlocking system of oppression. I would say its indivisible. Therefore to be rooted in class makes sense, because it widens to group as you say. But race is still there. It matters in America. And I think the ongoing history of that is vitally important to understand, no matter how difficult it is to confront. MSM has failed the population on these issues, so its difficult to know how to hit a 'reset' button on the national dialogue. But I think you and I are agreeing that the current dialogue cant and wont be productive. 

Id like to see people educated on HOW to discuss and understand race in America. I think people (in general) just assume they know all about the issue of racism, and I would disagree with them very much. I also think that the model of BLM isn't the greatest. It basically originated as a hashtag that anyone can attach any opinion to. As an organizer I find that idea really bothersome, lol. People should listen to Cornell West instead of firing off tweets imho. Leadership seems to be a foreign concept to some of todays movements. 

Then once we all have the tools to have a valuable conversation we can hopefully move forward. What a mess.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jakey Styley said:

Coming from Trump this is concerning for obvious reasons. I will say however that while I am weary of dangerous nationalism and really feel no sense of patriotism myself, I think a sense of pride in one's country and SOME shared national identity is important for a functional society. I worry that the extreme erosion of patriotism in the U.S, the constant teaching that the U.S. is evil, rooted in racism and forever shaded by it is not good for American society in the long term (even if it holds some truth). We do make people more aware of racial injustices along the way which is a great thing, but as with all things, there must be some moderation and the left (specifically younger, further left) should rethink how they talk about America.

edit: I want to clarify that it really isn't the schools that are teaching that America is evil, though, more so social media/pop culture. What Trump is prescribing here is already the norm. I received a very pro-America education throughout primary school, even with a strong emphasis on African American history that I know is glossed over in many parts of the south.

The problem with Trump's assumption on education (which is no surprise since, based on reporting, he was a terrible student and required someone else to write his admission exams to get into a decent school) is that it solely teaches America is solely a racist, evil, and misguided country.  It obviously isn't.

What I took from his comments is that he does not want kids to receive any level of nuanced analysis in education pertain to America's issues around challenges, class, race, and the use of violence to shape America's history.  No sensible person would suggest that American school children should be limited to America's historical warts.  But it becomes dangerous to pursue a curriculum that is so steeped in the myth of exceptionalism that it blinds citizens to both the broad and specific societal ills. 

I do agree that the "left" in America can get ahead of itself at times.  And if you allow me to fly off on a tangent here... 

Not that this is necessarily Trump's fault, but the elevation of someone like Trump with everything he represents has provoked a vitriolic counter-response that can be over-the-top and myopic at times.  And this is where I warn conservatives.  Constant and focused concern for power at the expense of everything else (including their own principles) will provoke a counter-response that may help to facilitate the true fracturing of the country.  If Republicans think they can suppress opposition through what we've seen so far (denying Democrats judicial appointments, vote suppressing schemes, gerrymandering, little to no concern for compromise, the complete villainization of their ideological opposite, etc) on a continual basis, there will be a large and likely messy push-back.  If Trump wins in November but loses the popular vote again, meaning Republicans will have held the Presidency for 16 of the last 24 years despite winning the popular vote only once, there will be a reckoning.  Similarly, if Trump at this point attempts to appoint a Supreme Court justice between now and Biden's inauguration (assuming Biden wins), it will destroy any legitimacy the Supreme Court has.  Trump has provoked a response by his opposition that is arguably symmetrical to how dangerous his Presidency has become.  The concern is the momentum on the left doesn't get the better of them and further erosion of traditions, norms, and ethics aren't restored as Democrats try to claw back authority and power as a counter-veiling force to Trump and Republican's sole rationale for governing.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Really interesting projection on what this year's election will look like in terms of vote counting:

1598922876413.gif

https://www.axios.com/bloomberg-group-trump-election-night-scenarios-a554e8f5-9702-437e-ae75-d2be478d42bb.html

I read in a recent poll that something like 60-70 percent of Democrats plan on using the mail to cast their votes.  Contrast that to Republicans, with only 20-25 percent likely to cast their vote by mail.

Important context to understand why Trump continues to disparage vote-by-mail.  He knows that if he loses it won't be on election night and will use this as an excuse to bitch and whine for years on end for his loss (again, should he lose).

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, downzy said:

Really interesting projection on what this year's election will look like in terms of vote counting:

1598922876413.gif

https://www.axios.com/bloomberg-group-trump-election-night-scenarios-a554e8f5-9702-437e-ae75-d2be478d42bb.html

I read in a recent poll that something like 60-70 percent of Democrats plan on using the mail to cast their votes.  Contrast that to Republicans, with only 20-25 percent likely to cast their vote by mail.

Important context to understand why Trump continues to disparage vote-by-mail.  He knows that if he loses it won't be on election night and will use this as an excuse to bitch and whine for years on end for his loss (again, should he lose).

I don't understand why 60-70% of democrats need to vote by mail.  Why give Republicans ammunition to say it's somehow corrupt? 

Everyone, including democrats, don't have issues going out grocery shopping, going to work, dining, various events...even sending their kids to school....but all of a sudden they can't wear a mask and social distance while waiting in line to vote?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ace Nova said:

I don't understand why 60-70% of democrats need to vote by mail.  Why give Republicans ammunition to say it's somehow corrupt? 

Everyone, including democrats, don't have issues going out grocery shopping, going to work, dining, various events...even sending their kids to school....but all of a sudden they can't wear a mask and social distance while waiting in line to vote?

I don’t see any reason in a sane world why they shouldn’t vote by mail. The whole voter fraud narrative is utter horseshit perpetuated by Trump as an excuse if he loses. 

If I were eligible to vote however I would make every effort to vote in person as there’s less chance Trump can steal the election in that case. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

I don't understand why 60-70% of democrats need to vote by mail.  Why give Republicans ammunition to say it's somehow corrupt? 

Because Democrats are taking the virus seriously and don't want to wait in lines and increase their risk of being infected.  Makes sense to me. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Dazey said:

I don’t see any reason in a sane world why they shouldn’t vote by mail. The whole voter fraud narrative is utter horseshit perpetuated by Trump as an excuse if he loses. 

If I were eligible to vote however I would make every effort to vote in person as there’s less chance Trump can steal the election in that case. 

Yeah, maybe in the future when voting by mail and/or some sort of electronic method is developed it would make sense.  Not in what has the potential to be among the most contested elections in history.  

I'm sure everyone will be ok with the election being contested until 2021?   Because if 60-70% of democrats vote by mail, that's (likely) what could happen. 

Edited by Ace Nova
Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope it doesnt get to the point of people being/feeling too intimidated to vote in person.

I trust there are laws that prevent things like open carry around polling stations?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, downzy said:

Because Democrats are taking the virus seriously and don't want to wait in lines and increase their risk of being infected.  Makes sense to me. 

Hopefully it will make just as much sense when the election is contested well into 2021.

 

1 minute ago, soon said:

 

I trust there are laws that prevent things like open carry around polling stations?

There are. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • downzy changed the title to The US Politics/Elections Thread

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...