• Dazey

• soon

• Georgy Zhukov

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Donald Trump just grabbed America by the pussy

Posted Images

3 hours ago, downzy said:

You say you read the article but then make an absurd comment that is not supported by said article. No where does it state that the mayor of Portland is moving out of Portland. 

Why not?  If your presence was causing those around you to be in a state of anxiety, frustration, and sorrow, wouldn’t you do the right thing and move? 

So maybe he should make better choices so his presence doesn't cause anxiety for his neighbors.  These people will find where he moves and start doing the same thing to his new neighbors.  He's moving because he's a coward and can't take the protests being outside his windows.  Many others don't have the luxury of selling their 800k condo and moving. 

On 8/28/2020 at 1:31 PM, downzy said:

For starters, require police officers to spend more training on de-escalation.  Defang the power of police unions to protect and shield problem officers.  Hire more black prosecutors and create review panels by which DAs must defend why some of the accused were prosecuted and why others were not (and why some were offered better deals with less or no jail time and others were not).  I am certainly not on the side of defunding the police.  If anything I think police should be paid more, but with that increase in pay comes with greater thresholds and standards to become a police officer.  I wouldn't go so far as saying that a four year degree is necessary (though that would go along way), I think police training should last at least two years.  

One thing that both Americans and Canadians can learn from their European counterparts relates to recidivism and the approach to punishing criminals.  Europeans, particularly Scandinavian countries, focus more efforts on rehabilitating the criminal and less on punishing them. 

I think this is (more or less) in line with what "most" would like to do in terms of "reform".

How do you feel about the following...

- Mental health teams within police departments (Not necessarily as "first responders" but as additional support when it's a clear case of a "mental health" crisis/issue)

- A clear separation (in terms of sentencing guidelines) between "violent" and "non violent" offenses.  (Non violent offenses pushed towards rehabilitation)

- Possibly re-work what is considered a "felony".  For example, the 2nd or 3rd time someone is caught with a "personal amount" of certain substances, that could be considered a felony and will stay with them long after they may have been rehabilitated, etc....making it increasingly difficult for that person to find work, etc etc...it also makes it easier to get a harsher jail sentence for a misdemeanor.   For example, someone with a non-violent felony could face jail time for something like "public drunkenness" if he/she still has that non-violent felony on his/her record, etc etc etc 

- Community outreach programs when a police department has gone through certain stages of "progression".  Have officers, etc go out and talk to the communities they serve.  In higher crime areas stress the importance of "cooperation" when pulled over or stopped by police, etc.  Start mending the relationships between police and their communities.  Let it be apparent to the communities they serve that they likely won't be "shot" or "hurt" in a routine stop.  (300 million stops annually vs 10 or so cases of unarmed people getting shot by police)   That it's an "outlier" for unarmed individuals to be hurt by the police and that police departments are making efforts to avoid those types of situations, etc.  The more people that know the actual facts/statistics, the less likely they are to do something "drastic" during a police encounter, imo.

This seems to be trending now.  The Trump admin went as far as playing the video from the salon during the press conference today.  @downzy  Should Biden begin to "distance himself" from her, in your opinion? 

Interesting.  I'll need to pay attention to the social media in Florida to see if I come across any of these "marketing campaigns".  (Although I'm not Republican or Democrat) my news-feeds vary from day to day, week to week...some weeks I'll get predominately "Republican" marketing ads...other weeks "Democratic" marketing ads...it's also amusing to see that "my ads" also vary depending on the device I'm using...lol.

31 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

This seems to be trending now.  The Trump admin went as far as playing the video from the salon during the press conference today.  @downzy  Should Biden begin to "distance himself" from her, in your opinion? 

At least 6 feet. :lol: 

• Haha 1
49 minutes ago, -W.A.R- said:

His whole campaign has been stupid and desperate.

I don't think a lot of that stuff is coming from his campaign directly, tbh.  A lot of it starts with viral memes, etc then gains steam, etc. 

28 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

I don't think a lot of that stuff is coming from his campaign directly, tbh.  A lot of it starts with viral memes, etc then gains steam, etc. 

No thats what hes running on. Hes the LAW & ORDER! (all caps) President and that you'll be unsafe under Joe (who literally wrote the 1994 crime bill) who has been co-opted by "far-left radicals".

2 minutes ago, -W.A.R- said:

No thats what hes running on. Hes the LAW & ORDER! (all caps) President and that you'll be unsafe under Joe (who literally wrote the 1994 crime bill) who has been co-opted by "far-left radicals".

Plus he literally encouraged his followers to commit a felony by voting twice. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, -W.A.R- said:

The biggest irony is that if Trump wins the riots will only intensify. If Biden wins, the energy will be sapped out of the riots a bit, and he is more likely to send boots on the ground to shut it down because the media won't kill him for it.

Trump is the accelerationist candidate, Biden is the return to 'normal.'

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ace Nova said:

The Trump admin went as far as playing the video from the salon during the press conference today.

Of course they did.  Why would they want people focused on Trump advocating for people committing felonies with respect to voting?  Better to play a dumb distraction and nothing story that will be as important as Pelosi's fridge.

1 hour ago, Ace Nova said:

Should Biden begin to "distance himself" from her, in your opinion? 

That would be a terrible mistake for Biden over nothing.

Again, this will be forgotten by this weekend.  It's only trending because Trump supporters are trying to make this a big deal. 

It's mindblowing to me that people would get this outraged by the hair of a woman who has to make national appearances on a daily basis.  The US is averaging 1k deaths per day.  Trump is advocating that people vote twice.  His law-and-order appeal seems to be faltering and not moving the polls all that much.

Look, was it a smart thing for Pelosi to do?  No.  If you want to take her for her word, that she was informed by the stylist that she could come into the studio so long as she was the only customer, then there really isn't anything to this.  If you don't want to take her word (despite the fact that the stylist is supporting Pelosi's account), then fine.  Go vote for the guy who has presided over 190k deaths due to his mismanagement of the pandemic.  

People really need to get their priorities straight.  Or don't and see how that works out for them. 

45 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

A lot of it starts with viral memes, etc then gains steam, etc. 

What an adult, civilized, and sophisticated way to run a campaign for President of the United States.

LOL

10 minutes ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

The biggest irony is that if Trump wins the riots will only intensify. If Biden wins, the energy will be sapped out of the riots a bit, and he is more likely to send boots on the ground to shut it down because the media won't kill him for it.

Trump is the accelerationist candidate, Biden is the return to 'normal.'

Exactly.

It may not be fair, but that's how things work.  Democratic Presidents can do things that Republican Presidents would get a tremendous amount of shit for, and vice versa.  Nixon was able to normalize diplomatic relations with China because he was a Republican; LBJ would have been crucified for even attempting to achieve something similar.  Clinton was able to push through welfare reform in a way that no Republican would be allowed to.  It's the name of the game.  

Biden would be better positioned to handle race relations and also end rioting stemming from race protests because he's a Democrat; he and his party are perceived to be more sympathetic and have the support of the correct coalition and supporters.  Trump's re-election would only exacerbate the problem, likely through his entire second term. 

This is not a winning tactic by Trump.  It is not 1968.  Maybe I'm wrong but trying to use the same old and tired playbook employed by Nixon will not work.  He needs another issue to ride but I'm not, and likely neither his campaign, really sure what that issue is at this point.  

1 hour ago, downzy said:

Of course they did.  Why would they want people focused on Trump advocating for people committing felonies with respect to voting?  Better to play a dumb distraction and nothing story that will be as important as Pelosi's fridge.

That would be a terrible mistake for Biden over nothing.

Again, this will be forgotten by this weekend.  It's only trending because Trump supporters are trying to make this a big deal. 

It's mindblowing to me that people would get this outraged by the hair of a woman who has to make national appearances on a daily basis.  The US is averaging 1k deaths per day.  Trump is advocating that people vote twice.  His law-and-order appeal seems to be faltering and not moving the polls all that much.

Look, was it a smart thing for Pelosi to do?  No.  If you want to take her for her word, that she was informed by the stylist that she could come into the studio so long as she was the only customer, then there really isn't anything to this.  If you don't want to take her word (despite the fact that the stylist is supporting Pelosi's account), then fine.  Go vote for the guy who has presided over 190k deaths due to his mismanagement of the pandemic.  

As far as Pelosi goes, I think people are viewing it as in "oh really".  Not really about her getting her hair done but the fact that she apparently violated her own city's codes.  But if she was "setup" that's troublesome as well.   It's crazy how far people are going to make the other side "make a mistake".  Only in 2020, I guess.  :lol:

1 minute ago, Ace Nova said:

I'm guessing (or hoping) he was joking when he said that. :lol:

When even the Attorney General won't deny it I think you're being a little optimistic. :lol:

4 hours ago, Ace Nova said:

I saw the owner of the salon on the news. She said Pelosi would want her to close up her shop everytime she came in to get her hair done. The owner was crying saying since the pandemic she's lost so much business that closing up just for her made her lose more money. I honestly think Pelosi has a few screws loose and probably does expect anyone to do what she wants them to do.

I mean showing the news all the chocolate ice cream she hoarded in her freezer at the beginning of the pandemic? WTF is wrong with everyone in the government? They all seem to be out of their minds.

It seems Trump lies and all his minions swear to it.

My mom said she's never seen America in such a state and she lived through the 60's. Unbelievable what is happening right now and no good end in sight.

Trump goes somewhere and now Biden goes there too. Honestly, I don't know what the hell is going on right now? It scares the shit out of me that neither one seems fit to be President.

Maybe Putin is wearing a Trump mask and he's destroying America from the inside out? it could happen.

47 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:
Joe Biden, the gift that keeps on giving :lol:

17 minutes ago, Swampfox said:

I'll tell my kids that tonight over dinner so they know the truth about the lights in our house.  I hope it makes them better people.

https://grist.org/climate-energy/meet-lewis-latimer-the-african-american-who-enlightened-thomas-edison/

• Like 1
  • downzy changed the title to The US Politics/Elections Thread