Jump to content

The US Politics/Elections Thread


Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

That's an insane amount of money to spend on a campaign.  Over a billion?  How long have they (people running for president) been spending that much?  Never paid attention to it. 

I think his campaign is the most expensive in history, but campaign expenditures started getting close to a billion in the last decade. Obama spent ~750mil in 2012 and I think 2008. I guess that’ll be the norm going forward. I wonder what’s driving the huge increase in costs. Digital ad operations maybe?

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 29.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • downzy

    4609

  • Dazey

    1898

  • soon

    1711

  • Georgy Zhukov

    1571

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Donald Trump just grabbed America by the pussy

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, Jakey Styley said:

I think his campaign is the most expensive in history, but campaign expenditures started getting close to a billion in the last decade. Obama spent ~750mil in 2012 and I think 2008. I guess that’ll be the norm going forward. I wonder what’s driving the huge increase in costs. Digital ad operations maybe?

You’re right. Obama raised over $750 million in 2008; just over $720 million in 2012.

Clinton raised over $600 million in 2016; dwarfing Trump by over $100 million. 

Trump’s 2020 campaign has already spent nearly $300 million more than its 2016 counterpart.  His campaign is easily the best funded campaign to date, though Biden’s will likely be a close second.

And that’s to say nothing about all the money raised and spent by the parties and Super PACs. It is utterly insane the amount of money raised and spent in the US on elections. It is unrecognizable to anyone living in any other western democracy. 

According to the article, much of the money already spent went to building out the fundraising infrastructure to find new donors. I think it stated $350 million was spent in this space. Apparently it paid for itself but the opportunity cost is difficult to calculate.  There has been a lot money spent on taking care of big donors (which kind of defeats the purpose imo), the millions spent on Trump’s legal issues, and the millions funnelled through Trump properties via campaign costs. Trump wasn’t kidding when he said he could make money running for President. 

Can’t be a good feeling having spent $800 million and still be down 8-10 points nationally.

Yikes. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Though I will say that this reporting has to give current and future vendors to the Trump campaign pause. I hope most are asking for money up front at this point. Those extending credit must not be too well versed in Trump’s history of stiffing vendors. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ace Nova said:

That's an insane amount of money to spend on a campaign.  Over a billion?  How long have they (people running for president) been spending that much?  Never paid attention to it. 

Pretty much since the citizens united Supreme Court ruling. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jakey Styley said:

Biden’s Florida polling lead is down to 1.9 average after a handful of tighter polls. It was 5 or 6 before the conventions.

Things are all over the place.

Biden has definitely seen a dip in Florida and Pensylvania. Interestingly though his leads in Michigan and Wisconsin seem to be holding steady.  And Republican pollster showed Biden leading in Ohio by 4 points in its latest poll of the state.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, downzy said:

Pretty much...

 

Who is that guy? I follow him on Twitter just because he seems to do nothing but give Trump shit all the time. :lol: 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Who is that guy? I follow him on Twitter just because he seems to do nothing but give Trump shit all the time. :lol: 

No clue. Someone I follow retweeted the above tweet. Pretty funny. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn’t get too excited if I were a Trump supporter. 

Hundreds of people are nominated for the award.  I really don’t see the guy who kept kids separated from their parents in cages is going to actually win the award.

Moreover, Trump was only nominated by a right-wing, anti-immigrant nut job. 

https://www.thedailybeast.com/christian-tybring-gjedde-norways-top-anti-immigration-crank-nominates-trump-for-nobel-peace-prize?ref=home

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice to see American tax payers are now on the hook for defending Trump in civil matters that occurred prior to Trump becoming President.

If there was ever proof that Barr is easily the most corrupt AG the country has had in the last 100 years, this is it.  Trump has the closest thing he could get to his mentor Roy Cohn in Bill Barr.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, downzy said:

I didn't realize those still existed in Norway.  I would have figured @SoulMonster would have eradicated them all by now.  :P

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ace Nova said:

I didn't realize those still existed in Norway.  I would have figured @SoulMonster would have eradicated them all by now.  :P

We have one political party, Fremskrittspartiet (FRP), where politicians leaning to the far right tend to aggregate. That being said, what we consider far-right is probably still a bit left of the GOP ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

We have one political party, Fremskrittspartiet (FRP), where politicians leaning to the far right tend to aggregate. That being said, what we consider far-right is probably still a bit left of the GOP ;)

Maybe that is why you fail so drastically to understand, empathize-with and respect the reasoning and intent upon why somebody would vote for say, Brexit/Tory in the United Kingdom, or Donald Trump in the United States, i.e., a lack of acquaintance with a robust/successful right-wing in your own country? Norway seemingly consists of a centre-left fudge. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Maybe that is why you fail so drastically to understand, empathize-with and respect the reasoning and intent upon why somebody would vote for say, Brexit/Tory in the United Kingdom, or Donald Trump in the United States, i.e., a lack of acquaintance with a robust/successful right-wing in your own country? 

My reasons for thinking Brexit is a terrible decision for the UK, and Trump being a bad decision for USA and the world, have nothing to do with the absence of a thriving right-wing political community in Norway.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

My reasons for thinking Brexit is a terrible decision for the UK, and Trump being a bad decision for USA and the world, have nothing to do with the absence of a thriving right-wing political community in Norway.

I suspect otherwise. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I suspect otherwise. 

I agree with right wing politicians on specific cases and left wing politicians on other cases. It's all about issues and not about any blind allegiance to any political sides. Brexit is a moronic idea. So is Trump. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • downzy changed the title to The US Politics/Elections Thread

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...