The US Politics/Elections Thread

5 hours ago, Swampfox said:

Obesity is one of the leading risk factors among covid deaths.  Others include age and pre existing conditions such as cancer or heart disease.  Cancer and heart disease are also linked to obesity so looks to me obesity is a leading cause of death when contracting covid.  I'm not grasping at straws.  Look at the data.  Around 40% of the US is obese.  Is it Trump's fault there's so many fat people dying from this?

You know what is also a leading risk factor for dying of covid?  Having fucking covid.

The argument that America has faired worse than other nations because it's a country of fat bastards ignores the fact that the country also leads the world in the number of cases.  Americans, with some regional exceptions, have done a piss poor job of lowering transmission rates, particularly after the rest of the world figured out what to do to mitigate the spread.  

• Like 1
  • Replies 29.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• downzy

• Dazey

• soon

• Georgy Zhukov

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Donald Trump just grabbed America by the pussy

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Jakey Styley said:

There are cultural factors to consider in the COVID-under-different-president hypothetical too. Americans obsession with liberty and “muh rights” would’ve always led us to have less mask wearing and distancing than other countries. Still, there would’ve been significantly fewer deaths under a different president, but there’s too many variables to try to pin down a number. 

Yeah, nothing to disagree with you there.

If Clinton had won in 2016, you can just hear all the Republican controlled states telling President Clinton to take a hike with respect to social distancing guidelines.  Trump would have been on the sidelines spewing much worse misinformation than he has been as President.  The "don't tread on me" crowd would have bemoaned government overreach of lock downs and done what they wanted anyway.  So to your point and to some degree, it wouldn't have mattered who was President depending on where you're living.  Arizona, Texas, Florida, and now the Dakotas were always going to blow up because the response would have been a battle between conservative states and a liberal President.  As you said though, many more Americans who are generally apolitical likely would have taken the virus far more seriously from the start had President Clinton been in charge of messaging and guidance.  That's to say nothing about federal coordination on testing and PPE supplies.  

41 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Just read a rumour Biden requested 30 mins intervals and this request was vetoed by Trump. Don't shoot the messenger. 

Yeah, that "rumour" came from the Trump campaign.

17 minutes ago, Swampfox said:

They're probably worried Biden won't remember his answers if he's out there too long.  I'm still surprised he's actually showing up tonight.

It's this kind belief that will allow Biden to win tonight's debate almost regardless of performance.  

56 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

“Director of National Intelligence John Ratcliffe on Tuesday declassified a Russian intelligence assessment that was previously rejected by Democrats and Republicans on the Senate Intelligence Committee as having no factual basis, according to two sources familiar with the matter.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/29/john-ratcliffe-hillary-clinton-russia-423022

@Swampfox, I am fat (allegedly working on it). I am to blame for that. The food excess and crap in everything, especially in America, does not help but I am smart enough to recognize what is bad and what isn't and have access to the things that aren't. You aren't wrong that personal responsibility plays a huge role. 

That being said, American habits are a huge problem. The portions and artificial shit everywhere is nuts. I went to Italy in February, and almost everything is fresh and decent quality food is abundant everywhere. Same with when I was in Israel and France. There is definitely garbage and fast food, but nowhere remotely close to the amount of stuff here and the chain restaurants and stuff we have. I don't just blame Trump for the weight issue here, its been a problem for decades for a lot of reasons. 

Still doesn't account for our death toll and infected toll being as out of control as they are. Being fat doesn't mean you are necessarily more likely to just get the damn virus. That is an idiot problem. 

1 hour ago, ZoSoRose said:

@Swampfox, I am fat (allegedly working on it). I am to blame for that. The food excess and crap in everything, especially in America, does not help but I am smart enough to recognize what is bad and what isn't and have access to the things that aren't. You aren't wrong that personal responsibility plays a huge role. 

That being said, American habits are a huge problem. The portions and artificial shit everywhere is nuts. I went to Italy in February, and almost everything is fresh and decent quality food is abundant everywhere. Same with when I was in Israel and France. There is definitely garbage and fast food, but nowhere remotely close to the amount of stuff here and the chain restaurants and stuff we have. I don't just blame Trump for the weight issue here, its been a problem for decades for a lot of reasons. 

Still doesn't account for our death toll and infected toll being as out of control as they are. Being fat doesn't mean you are necessarily more likely to just get the damn virus. That is an idiot problem. 

You seem like a nice person from what I've read in your posts so I hope you're not offended by my criticism of people who are overweight.  Hopefully this is a wake-up call to millions of Americans to lose weight and get into better shape.  If I was obese this pandemic would scare the shit out of me to get on a diet and exercise routine real fast.

1 hour ago, Swampfox said:

You seem like a nice person from what I've read in your posts so I hope you're not offended by my criticism of people who are overweight.  Hopefully this is a wake-up call to millions of Americans to lose weight and get into better shape.  If I was obese this pandemic would scare the shit out of me to get on a diet and exercise routine real fast.

As much as I disagree with almost every single post of yours in this thread, I will give you this one!

I'm not offended by that, it's the truth. The pandemic definitely makes me think about it regularly, the next step is hopefully taking the action

• Like 1

What a shit show.

Never thought I’d hear a candidate for President tell the other candidate to shut up. 

Biden could be smoother, but Trump is coming off deranged and unhinged. 

5 minutes ago, downzy said:

What a shit show.

Never thought I’d hear a candidate for President tell the other candidate to shut up. 

Biden could be smoother, but Trump is coming off deranged and unhinged. 

Yup

This is what we have come to

8 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Yes, Trump is winning this. 

If you think interrupting with bullshit is winning, sure

Edited by ZoSoRose
6 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Sorry but your chap is getting destroyed here. 

If you think this appealing to anyone outside of the brain-dead Trump supporters and/or MMA fans, you know nothing about what appeals to voters. 

Regardless, none of this will matter. The debate won’t change anything. 9 out of 10 voters have already made up their minds. This won’t move the needle one way. 

9 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

If you think interrupting with bullshit is winning, sure

DD gets off when loud men yell. 

• Like 1
Just now, downzy said:

If you think this appealing to anyone outside of the brain-dead Trump supporters and/or MMA fans, you know nothing about what appeals to voters. 

I'm just interpreting it how I see it it but your chap is vacant and stumbling.

2 minutes ago, downzy said:

Regardless, none of this will matter. The debate won’t change anything. 9 out of 10 voters have already made up their minds. This won’t move the needle one way. 

Well that is good to know!

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

I'm just interpreting it how I see it it but your chap is vacant and stumbling.

And Trump is rambling, contradictory, sneering, and bullying. That does attract some voters, but turns off more. 

2 minutes ago, downzy said:

And Trump is rambling, contradictory, sneering, and bullying. That does attract some voters, but turns off more. 

It is the same old Trump bluster but you need a person to take this stuff on. Biden is just absent and vacant. Your guy is getting destroyed here - this is as clear as day. An Obama or Clinton would have destroyed Trump here. 

Can we agree about one thing: the presenter here is utter wank.

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

It is the same old Trump bluster but you need a person to take this stuff on. Biden is just absent and vacant. Your guy is getting destroyed here - this is as clear as day. An Obama or Clinton would have destroyed Trump here. 

Can we agree about one thing: the presenter here is utter wank.

I think Trump is doing a better job destroying himself. You can't reason with this guy. He's a fucking idiot.

• downzy changed the title to The US Politics/Elections Thread