The US Politics/Elections Thread

11 hours ago, Padme said:

HOLY COW!!!! Literally. Pope Francis issued a statement in support of civil union for gays. That's a huge turn around.

Too bad God didn't tell Pat Robertson about this one. Maybe not even God saw it coming.

Have to say this is very disturbing as the Vatican's stance has long been that homosexual acts are “intrinsically disordered.” In a previous document from the Vatican’s doctrine office stated the church’s respect for gay people “cannot lead in any way to approval of homosexual behavior or to legal recognition of homosexual unions." Doing so, the Vatican reasoned, would not only condone “deviant behavior,” but create an equivalence to marriage, which the church holds is an indissoluble union between man and woman.

• Replies 29.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• downzy

• Dazey

• soon

• Georgy Zhukov

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Donald Trump just grabbed America by the pussy

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Ace Nova said:

It was a matter of time, imo.  The Roman Catholic Church has been somewhat "moderate" for a while now.   (They teach science, evolution, etc in Catholic Schools)

If buttfucking kids and covering it up is moderate, what in the name of holy fuck do you consider extreme?

• Haha 2
22 minutes ago, 31illusions said:

So all the haters like Downzy, Dazey, Angelica and all the rest will eat crow come election day. All the time they spent on here pushing their narrative of how terrible Trump is will all be for NOTHING. Trump will win. They'll cry fowl. America will continue to prosper, Amy Coney Barret will be on the SCOTUS, God is in his heaven and all will be right in the world.

#Trump2020

Quoting for posterity.  

• Haha 1
17 hours ago, AxlisOld said:

If buttfucking kids and covering it up is moderate, what in the name of holy fuck do you consider extreme?

Smh.  In regards to the teachings, vast charity work, etc. 

There are sick people among society.  The Catholic Church is made up of people from society and unfortunately some of the sick people infiltrated the Church.   I’m not going to defend  it.  

But to label the entire body of the Catholic Church in such crude terms is in poor taste and extremely prejudicial. 

Edited by Ace Nova
  • Like 1
37 minutes ago, 31illusions said:

Have to say this is very disturbing as the Vatican's stance has long been that homosexual acts are “intrinsically disordered.” In a previous document from the Vatican’s doctrine office stated the church’s respect for gay people “cannot lead in any way to approval of homosexual behavior or to legal recognition of homosexual unions." Doing so, the Vatican reasoned, would not only condone “deviant behavior,” but create an equivalence to marriage, which the church holds is an indissoluble union between man and woman.

Not like they could've been wrong about anything, right?

17 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Not like they could've been wrong about anything, right?

I'm sure 31Illusions still only eats fish on Fridays and attends only masses spoken in Latin...

• Haha 1
59 minutes ago, 31illusions said:

Good grief you are a tedious little person, aren’t you 🤣

With the US election less than two weeks to go, thought it would be fun to start a thread with people's predictions.

I'm currently using 538's map to designate state to either Biden or Trump.  You can create a link to your map.  If someone knows of a better tool feel free to share.

Here is mine:

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-biden-election-map/#AZ:0,CO:0,FL:1,GA:1,MI:0,MN:0,N2:0,NH:0,NV:0,NC:0,PA:0,TX:1,WI:0,AK:1,AL:1,AR:1,CA:0,CT:0,DC:0,DE:0,HI:0,IA:0,IL:0,IN:1,KS:1,KY:1,LA:1,MA:0,MD:0,ME:0,M1:0,M2:0,MO:1,MS:1,MT:1,ND:1,NE:1,N1:1,N3:1,NJ:0,NM:0,NY:0,OH:1,OK:1,OR:0,RI:0,SC:1,SD:1,TN:1,UT:1,VA:0,VT:0,WA:0,WV:1,WY:1,ID:1

I think Biden wins Arizona, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Michigan, and North Carolina.  My wild card is Iowa going for Biden, but it could easily go for Trump (my bet is Biden wins because Iowa's covid problem is getting worse). 

Florida will be Florida and will go for Trump by the slimmest of margins (again) I think largely because of Republican's voter registration drives.  Georgia will remain elusive for Democrats (as Biden has spent relatively few resources in the state) and Trump will win the state by a point or two. 

North Carolina and Arizona will flip for opposite reasons: North Carolina has a relatively popular Governor who is up for re-election; Arizona's Governor is not so popular and this is a state ripe for Democrats to finally retake.  Maricopa county flipped for Democrats in 2018 and I expect Democrats will do even better in 2020.  

My total is 312 electoral votes for Biden, 226 for Trump. 

Not sure if there will be prize.  For now bragging rights.  Those who nail the electoral vote total wins (obviously).  If no one guesses it correctly then the person with the closest will win (again, obviously).  

Good luck!  And good luck America getting through the next twelve days!

EDIT: As a tiebreaker, please list how many Senate seats each party will occupy after the November 3rd elections:

Democrats: 52
Republican: 48

• downzy changed the title to US Election Prediction Contest
3 hours ago, 31illusions said:

“intrinsically disordered “ 

-Most religious People. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, 31illusions said:

Disturbing? I tell you what is disturbing. More than 500 kids who can't find their parents. And you claim to support traditional family? There was a union of man, woman and their kids. And the U.S. government separated them.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, 31illusions said:

So all the haters like Downzy, Dazey, Angelica and all the rest will eat crow come election day. All the time they spent on here pushing their narrative of how terrible Trump is will all be for NOTHING. Trump will win. They'll cry fowl. America will continue to prosper, Amy Coney Barret will be on the SCOTUS, God is in his heaven and all will be right in the world.

#Trump2020

foul* 

6 hours ago, Ace Nova said:

It seems to work with the people at his rallies.  

So does sex with their sisters so that's not a high bar. :lol: 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Ace Nova said:

It was a matter of time, imo.  The Roman Catholic Church has been somewhat "moderate" for a while now.   (They teach science, evolution, etc in Catholic Schools)

Wow! Teaching facts in school???? Whatever next! Vive la révolution!!!! :lol: 

5 hours ago, Ace Nova said:

Smh.  In regards to the teachings, vast charity work, etc. 

There are sick people in society.  The Catholic Church is made up of people from sociaty and unfortunately some of the sick people infiltrated the Church.   I’m not going to defend  it.  

But to label the entire body of the Catholic Church in such crude terms is in poor taste and extremely prejudicial. 

I think that the issue is less with the actual perpetrators in which case your analogy holds. The problem is with the leadership who systematically enabled and protected the perpetrators for decades.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, 31illusions said:

The Pope is infallible. Suck it! :lol: 

• Like 1

I just hope Biden can win the Midwest, North Carolina and Florida. I'm not even sure he can do that. Obama won them and that was enough for him. If on election day Georgia, Arizona and Texas just happened to be blue party crashers I welcome them with open arms. But I don't want to hear speculation about them. Nor I want to hear about early votes or polls in those places after what happened 4 years ago

49 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Religions change to accommodate societal progress so as to not being irrelevant? What else is new.

I wish that was true. I guess we coould say that the Church of England and the Cathlic Church seems to be more open minded these days. But you said "Religions"

I don't see a great deal of progressive policies in other Christian denominations, Judaism and Islam

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
6 hours ago, Dazey said:

The Pope is infallible. Suck it! :lol: 

I hate to be the "well, actually" guy, but the Pope has to actually invoke infallibility, and it rarely happens. On top of that, he can't make up a new doctrine, anything he states after declaring infallibility must conform to sacred scripture and apostolic traditions.

unless ordinary people have less money in their pockets than at 5 years ago, they don't have much reason to change their vote.

people know what to get with trump. A vote for trump, is a vote for a "status quo". Don't underestimate the power of the status quo: it stands for stability and continuity. People don't generally like change: it is an uncertain factor. Change is all well and good, but wether the change will turn out good or bad is yet to be seen. Biden has never been president before, so a vote for biden is always a gamble.

In the current climate of uncertainty and corona, I doubt many people will want to engage in adventure and change.

• downzy changed the title to 2020 US Election Prediction Contest
55 minutes ago, downzy said:

You might want to have a look around...

appearances may be deceiving. Also, people don't tend to be talkative about their income.

it's difficult to make statements on that, so I'll leave that to people who are more versed into that stuff than me. I'm more the philosopher kind of person. A bottom up perspective rather than top down. I try to derive theory, from the ground up and then look at society to see if I'm right.

time will tell, if I'm right or wrong

• downzy changed the title to The US Politics/Elections Thread